You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - LATVIA/FRANCE 22nd/27th MARCH 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 35>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:41pm
Ferguson needs to play tomorrow, still needs to find his feet and get a feel for this team. Its completely different than playing for Brighton and being around the same group every day on the training ground.

We need to have a look at possible forward pairings of Obafemi and Ogbene with him too. Need to find who compliments him the best and has the better understanding of one another.

I think most the players lacking game time will get a good run tomorrow ...Doherty, Collins, Omobamidele, Obafemi, Kelleher.

Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:54pm
Yes, the longer Weds -> Mon turnaround time means Kenny can pick more of his front-liners to start.  No harm getting them playing together when they haven't linked up in so long.  

A nice chance too to bed Ferguson in for his home debut in Dublin - playing in front of 50,000 in his first game against France would have been fairly overwhelming for most at his age.

I feel we're wasting a chance to get Cannon involved now against Latvia.  Strikers are streaky and, other than Ferguson, he's our most on-form striker. 

From looking at him a bit, despite his young age, he seems a real goer - aggressive, strong player. 

Would love (have loved) to see him involved.  

I get it that he's not achieved that much yet, but presumably as much as CJ Hamilton had whenever he got to play, and he does look like he has real potential - and with his attitude, playing style and form, could even make a difference for us now!

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Ferguson starting against Latvia tomorrow. Kenny has confirmed in his press conference today.

This worries me.   Hopefully this does not mean he wont start against France which wouldn't surprise me with Kenny. He played Sunday so needs a rest. Hopefully its a case of he plays 30 mins and then is subbed and starts next week.

Thought he would have got 20 mins run out at the end.  Usually starting a mickey mouse friemdly before a big game means theres a high chance you wont be starting in the big game.

No chance anybody gets subbed after 30 mins - More likely he gets an hour before being subbed.
He's played less than 15 mins international football so far so it's nor unreasonable that Kenny wants to get more time for him before the France game. 

It's weird he's only played 15 mins international football and lads want him rested LOL
Give him the full game against Latvia. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Ferguson starting against Latvia tomorrow. Kenny has confirmed in his press conference today.

This worries me.   Hopefully this does not mean he wont start against France which wouldn't surprise me with Kenny. He played Sunday so needs a rest. Hopefully its a case of he plays 30 mins and then is subbed and starts next week.

Thought he would have got 20 mins run out at the end.  Usually starting a mickey mouse friemdly before a big game means theres a high chance you wont be starting in the big game.

No chance anybody gets subbed after 30 mins - More likely he gets an hour before being subbed.
He's played less than 15 mins international football so far so it's nor unreasonable that Kenny wants to get more time for him before the France game. 

It's weird he's only played 15 mins international football and lads want him rested LOL
Think it's more a case of protecting him from injury, he's our form man, be a disaster if he took a knock in that game and was ruled out for France. I'd like to see him play 45/60 mins but no more.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Think it's more a case of protecting him from injury, he's our form man, be a disaster if he took a knock in that game and was ruled out for France. I'd like to see him play 45/60 mins but no more.

I stand to be corrected here, but afaik, Ferguson hasnt played a full 90 minutes for Brighton this season and lads want him to play 90 2 games in a row after playing on Sunday, madness. A 60 minute run out vs Latvia will be fine. 
Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:05pm

Unless there are injuries between now and Monday, we're likely to see the above from both teams.

I wouldn't be surprised to see McClean start though.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:11pm
Not a chance Browne starts not good enough against average sides never mind France, Knight, Molumby and Cullen worked great as trio against Scotland and will probably be the pick again.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Not a chance Browne starts not good enough against average sides never mind France, Knight, Molumby and Cullen worked great as trio against Scotland and will probably be the pick again.

Browne is a player who pops up with goals. Knight doesn't. 

Browne has scored goals vs Serbia, Belgium and Scotland.

We beat Scotland 3-0 at home with him starting. We lost 2-1 away with the midfield three you mentioned. It wouldn't bother me if Knight did start. But it's not like he's world beater himself. He's playing down a level and has become a bit of a utility player. 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

We beat Scotland 3-0 at home with him starting. We lost 2-1 away with the midfield three you mentioned. It wouldn't bother me if Knight did start. But it's not like he's world beater himself. He's playing down a level and has become a bit of a utility player. 

Knight imo is a much better player with much higher ceiling, couldn't care what club he's at its irrelevant imo as he will play higher up soon, Browne is an average enough championship player who will never get beyond that and constantly gives the ball away, would be madness to play him against France, Hendrick would be a much better option also as at least he can pass the ball. Guaranteed Browne won't start .

Anyway apart from that I'd agree with you except I'd have McLean LWB and Doherty RWB, Coleman doesnt have the legs to play against Mbappe.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 21 Mar 2023 at 4:22pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:24pm
Can't see Browne starting ahead of Knight. We need Knight's energy to get around the midfield and cover/close down as much space as possible. Browne would just go missing against France. Might see him come on in the last 20 alright if we're chasing the game if he's preferred to Smallbone, Hendrick or McGrath by Kenny for a sub role. But that's about all he can offer, other than being an emergency RWB. If we could pull a couple more decent midfielders from somewhere - maybe the likes of Hodge and Azaz - he wouldn't even make the squad.

Edited by You Tell Me - 21 Mar 2023 at 4:26pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:26pm
I think there's a fair chance we either start or end with a 4-3-3 in this game for a number of reasons. 

Firstly, SK has surprisingly only named 4 CBs in his squad and both Egan and O'Shea have had a lot of football in recent months. Egan is also coming in off the back of a tough cup tie vs Blackburn. Both would benefit more from a rest rather than a full 90 in my opinion, so I reckon it might be a back 4 with Omobamidele alongside Collins. Still think he should have had Lenihan in the squad, if anything happens to one of our 4 CBs (and Omobamidele has hardly proved bombproof in this regard), we are down to the bare bones. Doherty will get minutes at RB and depending on his plans for France, I'm guessing O'Dowda starts at LB, Mc Clean is another who has had a lot of minutes this season, but if he's going to play Doherty at LWB vs France, then he could start. I assume Coleman wont be risked. Find it strange he didnt include another full back also. Anyway, it will be a very attacking back 4 given we really only have one genuine full back in the squad, but he might have an eye on the Gibralter game.

Secondly, I think he will want to give Johnston a run out, if not a start and he really only works on the LHS of a front 3, he might share minutes with Troy. It means he can also give Ogbene a start on the RHS and give Sykes minutes off the bench. I'm guessing he may wrap Obafemi in cotton wool. Ferguson to get 60 mins, ideally Idah would have been fit to finish the game, but in his absence Keane might get a spin out.

Cullen also absolutely doesnt need to play vs Latvia, he's another with lots of minutes on the clock this season, while Knight has been struggling with injury recently and didnt start at the weekend for Derby. Smallbone should absolutely start as the most advanced of the midfield 3 vs Latvia. Probably Hendrick, Molumby and Smallbone.
Idah Dream!
Bukowski View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:29pm
Wouldn't be surprised to see McClean starting LWB, but he also makes a good impact sub - if we are trailing and heads are down, McClean coming on with his never say die attitude can be a good injection of energy and purpose.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:29pm

Browne played RWB in the 3-0 win, the midfield 3 of Cullen, Molumby and Knight was the same in both games.
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:31pm
SK for the love of god, do something different tomorrow. some wingers would be a start. get johnston/obafemi lw and ogbene rw, bin off the turgid 3-5-2/3-4-3 v the weak sides it doesnt work. we need bodies centrally and out wide. latvia are weak as piss, do not bottle this game like the malta one.

Edited by 84ccfc84 - 21 Mar 2023 at 4:32pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:32pm

Unless there are injuries between now and Monday, we're likely to see the above from both teams.

I wouldn't be surprised to see McClean start though.

Dont see Browne starting vs France, it's likely to be Knight if fit. There's also a chance he doesnt start with 2 up front (he might prefer to finish the game that way), he could start with 2 in behind Ferguson, likely Knight and AN Other (Browne, Smallbone, Mc Grath in the mix). I agree with your wing back selections, but as you say Mc Clean could start. If he does, then leaving Coleman or Doherty out would be a very big call. I hope to God he doesnt shoehorn Coleman in as a Centre Back.
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Browne played RWB in the 3-0 win, the midfield 3 of Cullen, Molumby and Knight was the same in both games.

Exactly. So Browne was badly missed. The GOAT of Irish water carriers, which is all we have in midfield.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:51pm

100 percent 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

100 percent 

So give him 2 full 90s in 5 days having played 70+ minutes on Sunday and despite the fact he hasnt played a full 90 for Brighton this season? Glad you lads arent in charge of player development, 60/65 minutes vs Latvia is plenty, it's a meaningless unwanted friendly.

Edited by John Nice - 21 Mar 2023 at 4:57pm
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 35>
  Share Topic