You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - LATVIA/FRANCE 22nd/27th MARCH 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 35>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:27pm
One positive is that we've almost no League 1 players in the squad now. Just Knight who isn't really a League 1 standard player and won't be playing at this level beyond this season. It's not that long since we had 5 or 6 League 1 players in every squad. So, small signs of progress there at least.
Sponsored Links

84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

One positive is that we've almost no League 1 players in the squad now. Just Knight who isn't really a League 1 standard player and won't be playing at this level beyond this season. It's not that long since we had 5 or 6 League 1 players in every squad. So, small signs of progress there at least.

mcgrath is playing for a side that wouldnt finish top 2 in LOI...
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The FAI attempt at a live event is an absolute embarrassment. Amateurs.

Every single time too!

What happened?LOL

It was meant to start at 1:45 and it's still not on, it's 1:54 now. 

I've had this on since 1pm and at one stage somebody turned the camera on and start looking down the camera, realised it was on and then turned it off. Some young guy with a beard.

It's just so amateurish.

This is not a once off - it's every single time!

It's 1:55 and it's on and Kenny is fixing his camera and mic, unbelievable LOL

You can't hear the questions either lol

Why were you 45mins early for a livestream?? LOL

I threw it on TV at 1 as didn't want to forget about it - I just finished work and had some things to do etc...

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Jesus that's a weak French squad 

Christ were going to be slaughtered, I'd say the weakest French player in that squad would be a top player for us 

Kenny will outwit the floundering Deschamps by playing a ghost in the centre of the pitch

But Hourihane isn't in the squad...
Yet.. Kenny will deploy him as a last minute surprise to win us the game with a set peace

That's the second person today on this forum cracking the autism jokes, poor form bud Confused

Edited by dangere_here - 16 Mar 2023 at 3:36pm
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Jesus that's a weak French squad 

Christ were going to be slaughtered, I'd say the weakest French player in that squad would be a top player for us 

Kenny will outwit the floundering Deschamps by playing a ghost in the centre of the pitch

But Hourihane isn't in the squad...
Yet.. Kenny will deploy him as a last minute surprise to win us the game with a set peace

That's the second person today on this forum cracking the autism jokes, poor form bud Confused
LOLLOL
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Luder Luder wrote:

Not one premiership level midfielder. Kind of says it all really.

The only midfielder we have with PL minutes (and the most talented player at every level of our underage team since U16) is being kept out of the squad by a LOI lad playing for the worst team in Scotland, who couldn't make it at League One in Wigan.

As our currently most in-form striker (Cannon) is being kept out by a lad who is injured and doesn't score (Idah) or a lad who is being kept out of his club team by the former, and also doesn't score.

At least Smallbone's in there. 

Regarding Ryan Manning, I can see the rationale for Kenny's decision.  He probably only wants two LWBs in there, and picking McClean and O'Dowda from the three is a legitimate conclusion.

I agree that the theme is now "job preservation" mode, and picking the same old faces regardless of form. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

I agree that the theme is now "job preservation" mode, and picking the same old faces regardless of form. 

Hard not to look at it that way. And first off, there is no guarantee that the Latvia game will be a great deal different to the Malta and Lithuania games last year, which could make life even harder for Kenny if it doesn't go well.

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:55pm
Even if we finish 3rd which I would say is decent outcome I think he has to go at the end of the campaign.
I would be happy to have him in the under 21's and looking after the underage setup a la Kerr but he should not be running the show at the top. I think he has been given a good chance but I think he is destined to make us worse because he is obsesses with struggling championship and league one players.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Even if we finish 3rd which I would say is decent outcome I think he has to go at the end of the campaign.
I would be happy to have him in the under 21's and looking after the underage setup a la Kerr but he should not be running the show at the top. I think he has been given a good chance but I think he is destined to make us worse because he is obsesses with struggling championship and league one players.

As opposed to all the regular PL players hes ignoring??
I love beer gardens
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Originally posted by Luder Luder wrote:

Not one premiership level midfielder. Kind of says it all really.

The only midfielder we have with PL minutes (and the most talented player at every level of our underage team since U16) is being kept out of the squad by a LOI lad playing for the worst team in Scotland, who couldn't make it at League One in Wigan.

As our currently most in-form striker (Cannon) is being kept out by a lad who is injured and doesn't score (Idah) or a lad who is being kept out of his club team by the former, and also doesn't score.

At least Smallbone's in there. 

Regarding Ryan Manning, I can see the rationale for Kenny's decision.  He probably only wants two LWBs in there, and picking McClean and O'Dowda from the three is a legitimate conclusion.

Joe Hodge is not an attacking-mid, he's in no way being kept out of the squad by McGrath.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

LOL

This place is unbelievable 

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:26pm

I wouldn't be a fan of SK at all but it's only fair that he's given the chance to have a go at the playoffs, unless we get absolutely embarrassed in the group. If we don't qualify for the Euros he should go, simple as that in my view.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:27pm
Sammie Szpuds should be in the squad.  How Jeffrey gets the nod time and again is beyond me. 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:28pm

One player at Dundee and not played much in last 2 seasons vs Sam Szmodics performing well at a top championship club. I don't think Kenny understands the difference in quality between certain leagues and players

Azaz is performing at a much much higher level than Mcgrath probably ever did.

Johnston a winger when he is likely going to play 3421 with a narrow 2.

Like none of this adds up and passes any logical scrutiny.

The biggest annoyance i have is Lenihan not being in the squad. Picking Will Keane as a 5th or 6th forward?

Now my math might be bad but if there are 3 centre back positions and only one striker.. Surely you take the extra defender. or you leave behind the winger because... you don't even play wingers. A top championship defender left behind... and why?

He is making baffling decisions and he should be called out on them. I have no problem with a manager having favourites but when that means picking players at f**king Dundee it gets very worrying because it is our senior international team. Pick the better players. Pick the players with the best future in the game. We are settling in with league one level or bottom of the championship players when clearly there is better.

84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:31pm
he might be looking at using a different formation v latvia ? we've plenty of cbs, coleman can fill in aswell. dont think theres any real issue there. with johnston in we might see 2 wingers used at some pt with a 4 at the back?
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL

Ye can laugh away but neither of you are even making a point. There are more reasons to worry about his squad selections than I wanted that player called up or this player. This project is going nowhere and it has become obvious recently we are standing still.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:36pm

Edited by You Tell Me - 16 Mar 2023 at 4:36pm
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL

Ye can laugh away but neither of you are even making a point. There are more reasons to worry about his squad selections than I wanted that player called up or this player. This project is going nowhere and it has become obvious recently we are standing still.

Parrott got Kenny out of jail against Lithuania and we got jammy against Malta, I have a feeling our luck is going to run out this time. Or another way, we're either going to flounce badly or end up finishing second after ripping up the group in anyways
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 35>
  Share Topic