You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - LATVIA/FRANCE 22nd/27th MARCH 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 35>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by Dunne23 Dunne23 wrote:

I don't think this team is beyond comprehension. Knight in for Smallbone, O'Shea in for Omobamidele. He likes O'Dowda but he may make way for Doherty with Coleman  moving to the right? 

Coleman is in form and has to play. Doherty should be picked on the left. 

He won't give Smallbone his competitive debut against France, Knight will most likely start for his energy 
This is most likely. O'Dowda has never started a competitive game at LWB and he won't be doing so vs France, it will be Doherty or if not, Mc Clean. I'm not sure Obafemi will start either, he may go with the 3421 and use Obafemi off the bench. Smallbone also highly unlikely to start vs France, Knight will get that slot maybe alongside McGrath if he goes 3421. No chance Omobamidele starts ahead of O'Shea! 

Judging by his presser, there's also no chance lads like Cullen, Egan start vs Latvia, he specifically said, these lads had been playing sat wed sat since the WC and would benefit more from being fresh for the France game. He also name checked Doherty and Collins as likely needing minutes vs Latvia.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Tweetering View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweetering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 10:03pm
I for one am outraged that Conor Sammon has not been included, given that he is 1 in 2 this season. 

KENNY OUT
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 10:08pm
Sammon has a strike rate that Parrott, Connolly and Will Keane can only dream of
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 10:36pm
Doherty should not be starting at LWB or in any position right now given his lack of gametime. Id prob start James for the France game. Huge experience and the odd big tackle wont go astray. 
I love beer gardens
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Doherty should not be starting at LWB or in any position right now given his lack of gametime. Id prob start James for the France game. Huge experience and the odd big tackle wont go astray. 

Our best player should not be starting - righttttt
We're decent enough..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Best player. Hes barely played since January. Coleman has the right side no question at the minute. So lets play a right footer on the left who wont have played for the guts of 2 months come the France game. 
I love beer gardens
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 11:45pm

Best player. Hes barely played since January. Coleman has the right side no question at the minute. So lets play a right footer on the left who wont have played for the guts of 2 months come the France game. 

He's our best player - teams like Ireland need to start their best players regardless of how regularly they are playing for their club. He has performed for Ireland before with sub-optimal gametime, and he's sure as hell better than McClean or O'Dowda even if he's not fully match fit.
We're decent enough..
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 12:02am

Coleman will be eaten alive against France, hasnt got it in the tank to be playing RWB anymore. Hasnt got the positional sense to play RCB either. If we were playing a flat back 4 then yeah Coleman 100% at RB but noway id start Coleman in a 3-5 against Frances forward line.

Doherty hasnt played much club football recently sure, but he played even less (Just 8 minutes) when we played a triple header in Sept 21, double header in Oct 21 and double header in Nov 21. He started and completed almost all those games! That includes the Portugal games, one of which he started at LWB and was probably our best player on the night!

Hes a fit lad that looks after himself. Match fitness wont be an issue, match sharpness might. If he gets 90 minutes vs Latvia he should be more than good to go vs France.

Id be more a lot more concerned about LWB in any case, it'll porbably be McClean or O'Dowda neither of who are natural defenders and will be easy targets.

Edited by Bandwagon - 19 Mar 2023 at 12:03am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 7:43am
In fairness, he hasn't suddenly become sh*te just because he hasn't played for a couple of months. I meant he won't have forgotten how to play football like...
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

In fairness, he hasn't suddenly become sh*te just because he hasn't played for a couple of months. I meant he won't have forgotten how to play football like...
Exactly, he'll not lack fitness having trained under Conte and now Simeone, 2 of the most demanding coaches physically in the game. Obviously match sharpness a concern, but a 70 minute spinout vs Latvia will help in that regard. Nailed on to start either at RWB or LWB vs France!
Idah Dream!
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 2:36pm
Idah is out
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Idah is out

Get Tom Cannon in now 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 2:41pm
Announcing Scott Hogan in 5, 4, 3...
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 2:44pm
Will probably be Szmodics to replace him after todays performance in the FA Cup, we've enough cover with the other 5 strikers in the squad anyway.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Will probably be Szmodics to replace him after todays performance in the FA Cup, we've enough cover with the other 5 strikers in the squad anyway.
Don't think he'll call anyone up tbh. I reckon Keane was included due to the doubts over Idah!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Idah is out

Get Tom Cannon in now 

No chance!
Idah Dream!
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Don't think he'll call anyone up tbh. I reckon Keane was included due to the doubts over Idah!

Yeah probably, he did call up 26 players, now 25. 2 still have to miss out on the day.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 3:45pm
Yeah Keane was included with doubts around Idah. There'll still be five CFs in the squad with Idah out so can see anyone replacing him
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 35>
  Share Topic