You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - LATVIA/FRANCE 22nd/27th MARCH 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 35>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Even if we finish 3rd which I would say is decent outcome I think he has to go at the end of the campaign.
I would be happy to have him in the under 21's and looking after the underage setup a la Kerr but he should not be running the show at the top. I think he has been given a good chance but I think he is destined to make us worse because he is obsesses with struggling championship and league one players.

I wouldn't be a fan of SK at all but it's only fair that he's given the chance to have a go at the playoffs, unless we get absolutely embarrassed in the group. If we don't qualify for the Euros he should go, simple as that in my view.

Yep. Depends on when the playoffs take place if we are in them. But I would be inclined to f**k him off if there is a large gap. Honestly I have serious doubts now about Kenny. I backed him the whole way but it is clear he is in rudderless territory and as others have said making selections in job preservation mode.
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:38pm

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Even if we finish 3rd which I would say is decent outcome I think he has to go at the end of the campaign.
I would be happy to have him in the under 21's and looking after the underage setup a la Kerr but he should not be running the show at the top. I think he has been given a good chance but I think he is destined to make us worse because he is obsesses with struggling championship and league one players.

As opposed to all the regular PL players hes ignoring??

One player at Dundee and not played much in last 2 seasons vs Sam Szmodics performing well at a top championship club. I don't think Kenny understands the difference in quality between certain leagues and players

Azaz is performing at a much much higher level than Mcgrath probably ever did.

Johnston a winger when he is likely going to play 3421 with a narrow 2.

Like none of this adds up and passes any logical scrutiny.

The biggest annoyance i have is Lenihan not being in the squad. Picking Will Keane as a 5th or 6th forward?

Now my math might be bad but if there are 3 centre back positions and only one striker.. Surely you take the extra defender. or you leave behind the winger because... you don't even play wingers. A top championship defender left behind... and why?

He is making baffling decisions and he should be called out on them. I have no problem with a manager having favourites but when that means picking players at f**king Dundee it gets very worrying because it is our senior international team. Pick the better players. Pick the players with the best future in the game. We are settling in with league one level or bottom of the championship players when clearly there is better.

I don't think you understand player roles, because Szmodics and McGrath play very different ones. McGrath is a legitimate advanced midfielder who can drop deeper and defend/get involved with the play. Szmodics is basically a 2nd striker, he plays very high up the pitch and doesn't get involved much in midfield or create chances.

There's always one player in our squads who gets singled out for rough treatment due to the club they play for rather than the form they show for Ireland - it used to be guys like Horgan and now it's McGrath. Judge them on how they play for Ireland, not how glamorous their club team is.
We're decent enough..
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:41pm
Squad as expected except MJ, can’t see how he has done enough to get automatic selection? Smallbone & Ferguson are positive signs of young players getting game time at their clubs and impressing (zero to do with Kenny, all to do with the players themselves and their ability).  I’m not as convinced as some on here about Manning but if it’s him or James or O’Dowda then I’m ok with him not selected. Kenny is fierce underwhelming in everything he does but here we go, surely it’s this campaign or bust for him now…let’s see how it all pans out…

Edited by SeanC - 16 Mar 2023 at 4:43pm
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:44pm

One player at Dundee and not played much in last 2 seasons vs Sam Szmodics performing well at a top championship club. I don't think Kenny understands the difference in quality between certain leagues and players

The biggest annoyance i have is Lenihan not being in the squad. Picking Will Keane as a 5th or 6th forward?

Now my math might be bad but if there are 3 centre back positions and only one striker.. Surely you take the extra defender. or you leave behind the winger because... you don't even play wingers. A top championship defender left behind... and why?

He is making baffling decisions and he should be called out on them. I have no problem with a manager having favourites but when that means picking players at f**king Dundee it gets very worrying because it is our senior international team. Pick the better players. Pick the players with the best future in the game. We are settling in with league one level or bottom of the championship players when clearly there is better.

You have a real hatred for McGrath. I've been pretty impressed any time I've seen him play for Ireland, even if he is playing at a sh*t level....It's the usual on here, if a player isn't in the squad he is made out to be amazing. Szmodics probably would be in the squad if I was picking but do you really think he's going to be a massive upgrade on what is there?! You aren't taking into consideration that some of the players at the bottom of the championship/top of L1 might be better than players near the top either. Many things need to be taken into consideration. I suppose it par for the course here as people think that Kelleher is the second coming of Christ as he has played a few LC games for a top team
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:54pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL

This place is unbelievable 

Ye can laugh away but neither of you are even making a point. There are more reasons to worry about his squad selections than I wanted that player called up or this player. This project is going nowhere and it has become obvious recently we are standing still.

What the f**k are you actually talking about? Kenny obsessing with struggling championship and league one players? We don’t exactly have a pool of great players to pick from so not sure what you’re annoyed about?

Hourihane wasn’t picked so I suppose you have to find something new to cry about.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I don't think you understand player roles, because Szmodics and McGrath play very different ones. McGrath is a legitimate advanced midfielder who can drop deeper and defend/get involved with the play. Szmodics is basically a 2nd striker, he plays very high up the pitch and doesn't get involved much in midfield or create chances.

There's always one player in our squads who gets singled out for rough treatment due to the club they play for rather than the form they show for Ireland - it used to be guys like Horgan and now it's McGrath. Judge them on how they play for Ireland, not how glamorous their club team is.

Go on expert give me the squad roles for BOTH the 2 in the narrow and just to be clear I wasn't arguing for them being in the first 11 I was arguing for them to be in the squad. And you do realise there are about 30 variations on how those front 3 can play?  and I apologise I forgot McGrath was an amazing defender.

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

You have a real hatred for McGrath. I've been pretty impressed any time I've seen him play for Ireland, even if he is playing at a sh*t level....It's the usual on here, if a player isn't in the squad he is made out to be amazing. Szmodics probably would be in the squad if I was picking but do you really think he's going to be a massive upgrade on what is there?! You aren't taking into consideration that some of the players at the bottom of the championship/top of L1 might be better than players near the top either. Many things need to be taken into consideration. I suppose it par for the course here as people think that Kelleher is the second coming of Christ as he has played a few LC games for a top team

I don't hate McGrath. I hate on the decision to include him. He played decent in a few games about 1-2 years ago. Then failed to make any impression at all in England. went back to Dundee and has done ok at best. Where does the confidence in him being a goodsenior international come from in 2023

It is not whether SS is an upgrade or not it actually just picking a good squad. The overall squad balance is extremely unbalanced and poorly thought out. I literally couldn't care less about SS over Azaz or whatever but it should make sense. A winger over a centre half. Trying to play out and build up from the back and McClean always there. There is a serious gap between Kenny's words and his follow through now.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 5:07pm

LOL

Ye can laugh away but neither of you are even making a point. There are more reasons to worry about his squad selections than I wanted that player called up or this player. This project is going nowhere and it has become obvious recently we are standing still.

What the f**k are you actually talking about? Kenny obsessing with struggling championship and league one players? We don’t exactly have a pool of great players to pick from so not sure what you’re annoyed about?

Hourihane wasn’t picked so I suppose you have to find something new to cry about.

We don't have a pool of great players!! same old sh*te. You can still make better decisions ffs. We may aswell pick worse players because our players aren't any good anyway. Great logic.

CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 5:11pm
There is a serious bang of lads looking for reasons to be outraged off this thread and over on twitter. When I saw some of the tweets saying they are fuming with the squad announcement I was expecting Ferguson to be left out or something. Then you go on to realize it's only Ryan Manning and lads are just throwing their toys out of the pram. Get a f**king grip!

So who is not included that lads are so outraged by?

Manning - fair enough I would have him in the squad myself, but where has this narrative come out of that he is the best LB in the Championship?! Himself, McClean, O'Dowda and Brady are all operating at a very similar level. Manning deserves a call up but it's hardly a disgrace that some lads are rambling on about.

Smodzics - a lad who has been inconsistent at Championship level. Two or three years ago maybe the outrage would be more justified but with Smallbone and Sykes also in good form you couldn't include all of them. McGrath maybe lucky to get in ahead of him but he has the added bonus of having performed well in an Ireland jersey.

Cannon - have watched him play once or twice and does look decent but such a small sample size to judge from. He is on better form than most of the other lads included but he has only played about 10 games in mens football - again not exactly a reason to lambast Kenny.

Hodge - if he kept up the form for Wolves I'd have had him in but he hasn't. He did fine in his PL games but nothing more. One for the (near) future for sure but 21s the correct place for him now.

Then lads on here giving out about his selection of Hourihane previously - yes the lad is past it but who else should we have included in the past?! Lads looking to have a moan about anything, it was brewing for a while now but there is nothing majorly worth giving out about in that squad today. Plenty of things you can bash Kenny for - today's squad announcement isn't one of them IMO.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

There is a serious bang of lads looking for reasons to be outraged off this thread and over on twitter. When I saw some of the tweets saying they are fuming with the squad announcement I was expecting Ferguson to be left out or something. Then you go on to realize it's only Ryan Manning and lads are just throwing their toys out of the pram. Get a f**king grip!

So who is not included that lads are so outraged by?

Manning - fair enough I would have him in the squad myself, but where has this narrative come out of that he is the best LB in the Championship?! Himself, McClean, O'Dowda and Brady are all operating at a very similar level. Manning deserves a call up but it's hardly a disgrace that some lads are rambling on about.

Smodzics - a lad who has been inconsistent at Championship level. Two or three years ago maybe the outrage would be more justified but with Smallbone and Sykes also in good form you couldn't include all of them. McGrath maybe lucky to get in ahead of him but he has the added bonus of having performed well in an Ireland jersey.

Cannon - have watched him play once or twice and does look decent but such a small sample size to judge from. He is on better form than most of the other lads included but he has only played about 10 games in mens football - again not exactly a reason to lambast Kenny.

Hodge - if he kept up the form for Wolves I'd have had him in but he hasn't. He did fine in his PL games but nothing more. One for the (near) future for sure but 21s the correct place for him now.

Then lads on here giving out about his selection of Hourihane previously - yes the lad is past it but who else should we have included in the past?! Lads looking to have a moan about anything, it was brewing for a while now but there is nothing majorly worth giving out about in that squad today. Plenty of things you can bash Kenny for - today's squad announcement isn't one of them IMO.

I think a lot of posters here have played too much Football Manager if I'm honest
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 5:27pm
its funny to see everyone lose it over manning, hes not made the squads now for a bit. kenny clearly doesnt fancy him. dont understand the hodge omission given we lack depth in the position. parrott was called up after less games than hodge. something tells me its another one of these players that kenny doesnt fancy given is strange comments about him a few mths ago. what would be lost taking a look at coventry/hodge v latvia? cullen shouldnt even tog out for that game.

anyways, will wait til the latvia 11 to see if kenny plays it safe like the malta game... if he does time to go.

Edited by 84ccfc84 - 16 Mar 2023 at 5:28pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 5:49pm

LOL

We don't have a pool of great players!! same old sh*te. You can still make better decisions ffs. We may aswell pick worse players because our players aren't any good anyway. Great logic.

You’re one thick idiot crying over a couple of inclusions you don’t agree with! Grow up.
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

That's a load of bollocks. They are both midfielders, you give them instructions and they do a job for you in midfield like they are asked. If they don't do the job, like Big Jack, you hook them and never pick them again. End of story. The game of ball is simple, people trying to reinvent the wheel with fancy Sky Sports with Andy Gray back in the day.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 6:08pm
I hadn't looked at the Cannon thread till yesterday but here we go again. It's Canon's turn to replace Hogan and Seanie Maguire. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I hadn't looked at the Cannon thread till yesterday but here we go again. It's Canon's turn to replace Hogan and Seanie Maguire. 

He's a player that we could easily tie down, who is playing better stuff at the same club as a striker that's actually been selected, in an international window where we have a friendly as one of our games.

He should have been called up. We called up Will Keane...

It's not the end of the world, as he would probably have only seen time vs Latvia anyway, so I dont agree with pages of outrage over the squad selection. But it's a little bit annoying all the same.

Manning he clearly has it out for.

Anybody else wasn't a realistic inclusion. 

Edited by E2016 - 16 Mar 2023 at 7:14pm
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:44pm
Kevin Zefi is another lad that needs to be capped right away, sides like Wales would do it in a heartbeat.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Kevin Zefi is another lad that needs to be capped right away, sides like Wales would do it in a heartbeat.

Even if he was capped vs Latvia, that wouldn't tie him down.

He's played for Ireland at every age group so far, so maybe they aren't worried about him. Vata didn't grow up in Ireland. He's the one who might end up playing for Albania.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

He should have been called up. We called up Will Keane...

It's not the end of the world, as he would probably have only seen time vs Latvia anyway, so I dont agree with pages of outrage over the squad selection. But it's a little bit annoying all the same.

Manning he clearly has it out for.

Anybody else wasn't a realistic inclusion. 

Sammie Szmodics should definitely have been called up ahead of Jamie McGrath
The only way is up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 35>
  Share Topic