You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - LATVIA/FRANCE 22nd/27th MARCH 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 35>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The worry is he might pull some nonsense like trying to put Coleman in out of position at centre back again just to get him in the team.

That would be a huge mistake, Coleman is terrible there. Luckily I dont see SK doing that. Barring injury it will be Collins/Egan/O'Shea imo.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I cant see Coleman not starting. At least I would be surprised if he was not.

Think I'd agree with this. He's powers are definitely on the wane but at least he is playing games which Doherty currently isn't 

Regardless of game time at Atletico, Doherty will play vs France (maybe at LWB with Coleman at RWB), he is one of our best players. He can get mins vs Latvia to improve his match sharpness but his underlying fitness will not be a problem given he has been working under a Conte regime and now a Simeone regime. He'll be fit as a butchers dog, match sharpness is the issue.
Has SK ever played Doherty at LWB?
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

I actually think Sykes could be a surprise starter ahead of McGrath in that position.

Zero chance Sykes starts vs France imo. He will hopefully get mins vs Latvia so we can get another look at him, but he doesnt really suit the way the Irish team is set up currently.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:32pm

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

He was absolutely at fault for the 2 goals against Portugal in Faro. To anyone with eyes at least.

LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCKuFJ9r4YU&t=633s&ab_channel=FAITV

9:58 - no doubt he should have got his block on - but it's a 9v4 in Ireland's favour.

Why, out of 9 Irish players in the box, nobody marking Ronaldo!

Not sure why he was blamed for the second goal either.

I'd agree that blaming Mc Clean in isolation is entirely unfair, but I think it's fair to say that defending isnt the strongest area of his game. However, it aint the strong suit of Manning, Brady or O'Dowda either and at least Jimmy gets the crowd up and puts it all in. I think he has a fair chance of starting vs France, certainly ahead of the 3 I've just listed, but it may be Doherty who gets the nod at LWB with Coleman playing at RWB. 
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Think I'd agree with this. He's powers are definitely on the wane but at least he is playing games which Doherty currently isn't 

Regardless of game time at Atletico, Doherty will play vs France (maybe at LWB with Coleman at RWB), he is one of our best players. He can get mins vs Latvia to improve his match sharpness but his underlying fitness will not be a problem given he has been working under a Conte regime and now a Simeone regime. He'll be fit as a butchers dog, match sharpness is the issue.

I remember at least once vs Portugal away, where Doherty and Connolly linked up really well down the LHS, in fact all our threat came down that left flank in the game and Connolly was taken out by Cancelo when about to score. Doherty was excellent in that game!
Idah Dream!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:32pm

According to some Aletico accounts, Doherty is going to start at the weekend. Don't know how much truth is behind it though. Be great to see him get some minutes regardless. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

According to some Aletico accounts, Doherty is going to start at the weekend. Don't know how much truth is behind it though. Be great to see him get some minutes regardless. 

Absolutely, even a couple of starts over the next 3 weeks would be great for him and us. He's a damn good player, think he was poorly treated at Spurs under Conte tbh. Looked every bit as good, if not better than the competition there any time I saw him play for them. Against France, we will need our best players on the pitch and to my mind he is one of them. First name on the teamsheet for me, regardless of his game time at Atletico.
Idah Dream!
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:41pm
According to this, it's unlikely 

With no time to lose, Cholo began to test for this commitment. Without three of the four full-backs on the squad available, everything indicated that Matt Doherty, who has not yet made his rojiblanco debut, would have his first opportunity. But for now, it seems that he will have to wait.

Because Simeone is considering changing the system for Saturday's game and returning to 5-3-2, with Marcos Llorente and Yannick Carrasco as wingers. Giménez, Savic and Hermoso would form the line of defenders.

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

With no time to lose, Cholo began to test for this commitment. Without three of the four full-backs on the squad available, everything indicated that Matt Doherty, who has not yet made his rojiblanco debut, would have his first opportunity. But for now, it seems that he will have to wait.

Because Simeone is considering changing the system for Saturday's game and returning to 5-3-2, with Marcos Llorente and Yannick Carrasco as wingers. Giménez, Savic and Hermoso would form the line of defenders.

Ah ffs. He's not gonna get a look in there is he..
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:36pm

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

I actually think Sykes could be a surprise starter ahead of McGrath in that position.

Zero chance Sykes starts vs France imo. He will hopefully get mins vs Latvia so we can get another look at him, but he doesnt really suit the way the Irish team is set up currently.

Im not too sure we'll set up like we have been against France, 3-5-2 would leave us fairly open especially with a front 2 who wouldn't see much of the ball.

I reckon we'll go back to a 3-4-2-1 shape as we did against Portugal home/away and Serbia home.

Sykes or McGrath would fit into one of the 2 behind the lone striker.

Can see either Idah reclaiming that role up front or Ferguson being thrown in. Someone strong and physical that can hold up the ball up well enough.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:43pm

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Ah ffs. He's not gonna get a look in there is he..

Changing his entire formation to avoid having to play him isn't a great sign alright.
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:04pm

Start is the name of a Tapas place in Madrid LOL
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:05pm

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

I remember at least once vs Portugal away, where Doherty and Connolly linked up really well down the LHS, in fact all our threat came down that left flank in the game and Connolly was taken out by Cancelo when about to score. Doherty was excellent in that game!

He was very impressive on the left side in fairness
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 11:58pm
I know Coleman's in a bit of form now but would like to see Danny McNamara called up and given 45 mins against Latvia
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 3:27am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

I know Coleman's in a bit of form now but would like to see Danny McNamara called up and given 45 mins against Latvia
You're right, JR. McNamara is having an excellent season at Millwall - a team with good play-off possibilities. It's a bit like Manning really - both have been excellent Championship players and should be in our match-day squads. It must gall them that Parrott is a walk-up Kenny favourite despite being a three-time Championship failure. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

You're right, JR. McNamara is having an excellent season at Millwall - a team with good play-off possibilities. It's a bit like Manning really - both have been excellent Championship players and should be in our match-day squads. It must gall them that Parrott is a walk-up Kenny favourite despite being a three-time Championship failure. 

If they ever manage 4 goals and 2 assists in 750 minutes of international football, maybe they'll be in a position to complain.
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 8:13am
Seems a bit of an unfair demand to make of two wing backs, one of which has never been given a chance to show what he can do in the senior squad.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 8:17am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

If they ever manage 4 goals and 2 assists in 750 minutes of international football, maybe they'll be in a position to complain.

Yeah Brick, we can't bring in a full back/wing back unless they have 4 goals and 2 assists for their country!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 35>
  Share Topic