You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - LATVIA/FRANCE 22nd/27th MARCH 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

McGrath starts vs France for me. We've missed him across 2022.

McNally I'd say has leapfrogged Scales & Dunne as the 7th choice behind Egan, Collins, O'Shea, Lenihan, Duffy & Omobamidele. If he keeps his current for going he'll won't be far away from a cap.

Smallbone, Coventry, Manning & Sykes should all start vs Latvia for me.

will just have to disagree there cant go back to playing the likes of mcgrath. way below the level of player we need especially against France. 
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:40am

To be fair, Kenny has been pretty good about moving on players that aren't up to it as long as there's viable options to try.
And while a lot of people seem to think Kenny just loves Hourihane & won't drop him, the reality is he hasn't given Hourihane a competitive start since November 2020, that says exactly what Kenny thinks of him. The issue has been no players coming in to push him out once & for all.

That doesn't even take into account Hourihanes nightmare vs Armenia. He single-handedly almost got us relegated from a 2-0 lead. Kenny's binned players for a lot less than that.

The only reason Hourihane wasn't in the November squad's is because Derby wouldn't release him or Knight otherwise he would of been in the squad, Kenny said this himself. Also, he hasn't started any game since the home game against Lithuania in March '22 as far as I can see. 

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 10:22am
McGrath starts vs France for me. We've missed him across 2022.

McNally I'd say has leapfrogged Scales & Dunne as the 7th choice behind Egan, Collins, O'Shea, Lenihan, Duffy & Omobamidele. If he keeps his current for going he'll won't be far away from a cap.

Smallbone, Coventry, Manning & Sykes should all start vs Latvia for me.
[/QUOTE]

Cant agree with that, Mc Grath is struggling for game time at a team rooted to the bottom of the SPL. Just 2G, 2A all season in 20 odd games for an attacking midfielder is a poor return. It's a couple of seasons now since he showed the kind of form which warranted a place in the squad. He may well have had injury issues, but he hasnt completed a full 90 in the SPL since the 9th November, almost 4 months ago.

No way he starts vs France imo. It will be Cullen, Molumby, Knight imo, but if not, I'd have Hendrick, Browne or Smallbone ahead of Mc Grath.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

To be fair, Kenny has been pretty good about moving on players that aren't up to it as long as there's viable options to try.
And while a lot of people seem to think Kenny just loves Hourihane & won't drop him, the reality is he hasn't given Hourihane a competitive start since November 2020, that says exactly what Kenny thinks of him. The issue has been no players coming in to push him out once & for all.

That doesn't even take into account Hourihanes nightmare vs Armenia. He single-handedly almost got us relegated from a 2-0 lead. Kenny's binned players for a lot less than that.

The only reason Hourihane wasn't in the November squad's is because Derby wouldn't release him or Knight otherwise he would of been in the squad, Kenny said this himself. Also, he hasn't started any game since the home game against Lithuania in March '22 as far as I can see. 

As far as I remember, he didnt actually state that Hourihane would definitely have been in the squad. My recollection is that when asked, he simply said that Derby had refused to release players, so none of the Derby lads were considered. He didnt specifically mention Hourihane. Fwiw I dont think he'll name Hourihane assuming everyone else is fit, although tbf to Conor, he is having a very good season albeit in League One.
Idah Dream!
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 10:54am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

As far as I remember, he didnt actually state that Hourihane would definitely have been in the squad. My recollection is that when asked, he simply said that Derby had refused to release players, so none of the Derby lads were considered. He didnt specifically mention Hourihane. Fwiw I dont think he'll name Hourihane assuming everyone else is fit, although tbf to Conor, he is having a very good season albeit in League One.

He said Derby refused to release both players.

In the live broadcast section he did reference they'd have both been in the squad.

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 11:02am
5 days between the games.. I don't see a reason to put a crazily weak XI vs Latvia. Plenty of time to recover before France. Winning builds confidence and some of our more important players need the minutes and (assuming we win) a confidence boost.
vs Latvia:

Bazunu (needs a clean sheet and some confidence)
Doherty Collins Egan O'Shea Manning
Sykes Cullen Molumby
Ferguson Obafemi

vs France:

Bazunu 
Doherty Collins Egan O'Shea McClean
Cullen Molumby Hendrick
Ferguson Obafemi
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 11:21am
I cant see Coleman not starting. At least I would be surprised if he was not.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 11:31am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I cant see Coleman not starting. At least I would be surprised if he was not.

Think I'd agree with this. He's powers are definitely on the wane but at least he is playing games which Doherty currently isn't 
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 11:32am
You'd be worried about Mbappe vs Coleman. Worried about Mbappe vs anyone obviously but Coleman doesn't have the legs or strength to get near him.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 11:45am
The worry is he might pull some nonsense like trying to put Coleman in out of position at centre back again just to get him in the team.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 11:48am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

5 days between the games.. I don't see a reason to put a crazily weak XI vs Latvia. Plenty of time to recover before France. Winning builds confidence and some of our more important players need the minutes and (assuming we win) a confidence boost.
vs Latvia:

Sykes Cullen Molumby
Ferguson Obafemi

vs France:

Bazunu 
Cullen Molumby Hendrick
Ferguson Obafemi

I'd disagree, I think lads like Bazunu, Egan, O'Shea, Cullen, Mc Clean, Molumby, Hendrick, Knight have been getting plenty of game time (maybe too much in some cases) and I'd like to see them 100% focused, fit and fresh for the French game. Depending on game time between now and then, it does look like the likes of Doherty, Collins, Obafemi, maybe Ferguson might benefit from a spin out of some description (would only give Collins a full 90). As for your team vs France, I think Knight will start ahead of Hendrick and maybe Coleman at RWB (assuming he maintains his first team spot under Dyche) instead of McClean with Doherty shifting over to LWB.

The result of the Latvia game doesnt and shouldnt matter. I'd be giving a first cap to Smallbone and minutes to Duffy, Kelleher, Sykes, maybe Manning, Idah, Ogbene, maybe Azaz, Coventry, Omobamidele.

Edited by John Nice - 28 Feb 2023 at 11:49am
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

vs Latvia:

Sykes Cullen Molumby
Ferguson Obafemi

vs France:

Bazunu 
Cullen Molumby Hendrick
Ferguson Obafemi

Think he rotates the GK.

Don't think Manning makes the squad so probably be Brady or O'Dowda at LWB. RWB I think if Doherty is his pick against France he'll get both games.

Agree that he might likely play the same three CBs in both games but could also see Duffy given a start against Latvia alongside Egan and O'Shea.

Hendrick for me is the other way around. Starts against Latvia with Cullen and the other CM I'm not 100% on. Don't think Sykes has a chance of starting though. Can't see Hendrick starting against France.

Up front I think Ferguson will start against Latvia but Obafemi I don't think has a chance of starting both games. If Kenny sees him as a starting against France don't think he risks Obafemi starting against Latvia. Got injured in two of the three windows he's been called up to under Kenny.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 12:59pm
Kenny is on the record as saying he's unlikely to start anybody against Latvia who is likely to start against France. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:06pm
I’m not sure I buy this McGrath argument. He did well against Portugal, but I don’t think there was anything breathtaking about his performances. Also, there is a distinct bang of Stephen Ireland, Andy Reid, Wes, and McGeady (in 2021), about the argument, whereby he is an attacking midfielder, who isn’t playing for Ireland, therefore, he is the ‘missing piece.’

I’d be delighted if he was to come in and provide key link up between the midfield and forward line, but I’m unsure he can do so.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:09pm
I actually think Sykes could be a surprise starter ahead of McGrath in that position.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:14pm
Ferguson Smallbone and Manning are the 3 new faces that I think you could make a solid case for genuinely improving us compared to what we have. 

Ferguson needs no introduction and the other two definitely have the potential to play top flight football in the future depending on staying fit, how things go for them/what sort of ambition they show etc.

Sykes is playing very well too and can see the case for him over Smallbone but Smallbone is more likely to get to a higher level down the line in my humble opinion. 

Hopefully Doherty plays for Atletico the weekend and hopefully Obafemi,Parrott and Idah can continue to get minutes under their respective belts. 

I would be starting Doherty/Coleman at wing back for the French game. As good as McClean was in the Luxembourg and Azerbaijan games he was a liability defensively against Portugal in Faro and in Dublin.  

Edited by kevin100 - 28 Feb 2023 at 1:15pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Kenny is on the record as saying he's unlikely to start anybody against Latvia who is likely to start against France. 

In fairness Kenny has been speaking out both sides of his mouth on a lot of things.

It's also the wrong approach to take too. He should be a lot more open minded about his selection for France.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I’m not sure I buy this McGrath argument. He did well against Portugal, but I don’t think there was anything breathtaking about his performances. Also, there is a distinct bang of Stephen Ireland, Andy Reid, Wes, and McGeady (in 2021), about the argument, whereby he is an attacking midfielder, who isn’t playing for Ireland, therefore, he is the ‘missing piece.’

I’d be delighted if he was to come in and provide key link up between the midfield and forward line, but I’m unsure he can do so.

all of those players were miles(!) better than mcgrath, all of those players, especially weso, were difference makers with the ball unlike mcgrath . hes a workhorse and he'll run himself into the ground. technically hes way off whats needed and the proof is in where hes playing his club football. 

Edited by 84ccfc84 - 28 Feb 2023 at 1:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
  Share Topic