You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - LATVIA/FRANCE 22nd/27th MARCH 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SQUAD - LATVIA/FRANCE 22nd/27th MARCH 2023
    Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 12:57pm
With just 3 weeks to go until Kenny names his squad for the Latvia/France games, time for opinions on the squad make up.

GK - Baz/Kelleher nailed on. Is there a case for naming O'Leary ahead of Travers as the 3rd keeper given that if anything happened to Baz, he would be our only keeper playing regularly come March/June?

RWB - Doherty/Coleman nailed on. If Matt is still struggling for game time, we can give him 45/60 mins vs Latvia. Ogbene/Sykes/Browne can all provide further cover here. I'd leave Ebosele with the U21s until at least the September games.

LWB - Mc Clean is nailed on for a squad spot at least, given his form this season. Brady has barely been sighted for PNE since the WC and a 10 minutes red card at the weekend wont help his cause. Manning is the player in form, while O'Dowda continues to stay fit and perform well for Cardiff

CB - Collins/Egan/O'Shea are the likely starters vs France. Collins may need a run out vs Latvia if he continues otb for Wolves. Omobamidele, Duffy, Lenihan are likely the next 3 in line. Dunne/Scales/McGuinness/Cashin likely to miss out.

CDM - Cullen nailed on starter for France and unlikely to need game time vs Latvia. Is it a chance to give Coventry a spin vs Latvia. May not be a popular opinion but like Ebosele, I'd leave Hodge with the U21s (and name him captain) as he looks unlikely to get any further game time at Wolves this season.

CM - Molumby/Knight the likely starters vs France. Think they'll stick with Hendrick and Browne in the squad. Mc Grath's spot has to be in danger given his (and Dundee Uniteds) form. Surely Smallbone is worth a 1st cap vs Latvia. Time to dispense with Hourihane? Azaz a decent outside bet?

ST - Ferguson/Obafemi look the most dangerous pairing, but we need to be mindful of their game time between now and then, either/both may benefit from a 45/60 min run out vs Latvia in advance. Robinson is out and Connolly will struggle to get back in time (if he does, he's worthy of consideration imo). The fit again Idah, Parrott and Ogbene's lack of goals remain a concern, but neither Keane or Hogan are pulling up trees. Maybe it's time to dispense with the old guard. Like Ebosele and Hodge, I'd leave Cannon with the U21s for now.

Overall, I think he should name a big enough squad (28 to 30) and only field players vs Latvia who either need game time in advance of the French game (potentially Doherty/Collins/Ferguson/Obafemi)
or whom he doesnt expect to feature in the French game, so the Latvia game could be a good opportunity to have a look at the likes of Coventry/Sykes/Smallbone, maybe Azaz, maybe Manning.

Edited by John Nice - 27 Feb 2023 at 1:00pm
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 1:16pm
Hard to argue with any of the above. Think Luke McGrath might be quite high up the list of reserve CB's after his start at Coventry. Suits the team's style, plays in a back 3 etc. 

Would include O'Leary and Sykes for sure over non-playing alternatives. Cyrus Christie and Danny McNamara probably not too far off either but there's only so many right backs you can pick.

Would see Cannon as still being a way off senior contention - he should concentrate on being the u21 main man for this campaign, that'd be a good achievement.
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Hard to argue with any of the above. Think Luke McGrath might be quite high up the list of reserve CB's after his start at Coventry. Suits the team's style, plays in a back 3 etc. 

McNally, not McGrath 

Jay McGrath has gone from Coventry on loan to St Pats. Plays CB too
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Would include O'Leary and Sykes for sure over non-playing alternatives. Cyrus Christie and Danny McNamara probably not too far off either but there's only so many right backs you can pick.

Would see Cannon as still being a way off senior contention - he should concentrate on being the u21 main man for this campaign, that'd be a good achievement.

Luke Mc Nally, (Mc Grath was a scrum half I thinkSmile) - aye he's likely in the list alongside Dunne/Scales etc. Looks a good prospect and has had a fine start at Coventry, but it's an area of the squad where we are very strong, unfortunately for him.
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 2:24pm
Good post, and can't see much changing between now and the squad being named, barring injuries which we're never too far from.
Regarding midfield, I'd say he'll go with Hendrick and Molumby v France, what with Knight playing away in L1.

Hourihane and McGrath should not be in the squad, and I'm also happy to leave Hodge with the 21's.

Azaz is worth a look in a position we are very light in and the Latvia match is a good chance for a few, including Coventry and Smallbone.  I'd put Manning in for that one too with an eye to a start v France.

Up top I'd be happy to see Ferguson and Obafemi start both matches...get some form up v Latvia for a spin at France.  Nobody else is really putting their hand up to displace either.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Good post, and can't see much changing between now and the squad being named, barring injuries which we're never too far from.
Regarding midfield, I'd say he'll go with Hendrick and Molumby v France, what with Knight playing away in L1.

Hourihane and McGrath should not be in the squad, and I'm also happy to leave Hodge with the 21's.

Azaz is worth a look in a position we are very light in and the Latvia match is a good chance for a few, including Coventry and Smallbone.  I'd put Manning in for that one too with an eye to a start v France.

Up top I'd be happy to see Ferguson and Obafemi start both matches...get some form up v Latvia for a spin at France.  Nobody else is really putting their hand up to displace either.

I just cant see Manning being brought in from the cold to start vs France, but I certainly think it's time he comes back in to the squad and he should get minutes vs Latvia. I'd probably leave Brady out of the squad based on recent form/playing time. O'Dowda continues to stay fit and he is playing well (seen Cardiff a couple of times recently).

I think it will be either Doherty at LWB vs France with Coleman at RWB or else Mc Clean will get the nod at LWB with Doherty at RWB. Barring injury, I cant see any other scenarios.
Idah Dream!
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 3:27pm
I see the U/19s kick off their Elite group against Slovakia the same day as Seniors play Latvia. That game is in Wexford its timed for 3.30pm. Pity its not a couple of hours earlier and I am sure fans coming from the South East would take it in on the way to Dublin.
alive and kicking
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I just cant see Manning being brought in from the cold to start vs France, but I certainly think it's time he comes back in to the squad and he should get minutes vs Latvia. I'd probably leave Brady out of the squad based on recent form/playing time. O'Dowda continues to stay fit and he is playing well (seen Cardiff a couple of times recently).

I think it will be either Doherty at LWB vs France with Coleman at RWB or else Mc Clean will get the nod at LWB with Doherty at RWB. Barring injury, I cant see any other scenarios.

does anybody know the reason for the grudge against Manning held by SK? Chap in the pub told me something outlandish going back to his younger days.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

does anybody know the reason for the grudge against Manning held by SK? Chap in the pub told me something outlandish going back to his younger days.

Dress sense, sh*t tattoos and developed a weird accent seemly Wink
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Dress sense, sh*t tattoos and developed a weird accent seemly Wink

But, but, but, how come SK seems to like young Aaron C then? Smile
Idah Dream!
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 6:47pm
What I heard down the pub is it goes back to Manning being a distant relation of the bakery in the Liberties and Kenny was in there a few times
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 7:37pm
One player that has been suspect in some recent club games I’ve seen is John Egan . I know Egan will be in the team but I’d love to see Eiran Cashin who I think will turn out to be a great player brought into squad for the Latvia game . I think Mark McGuinness will turn into a good senior option in time too with a bit more experience . Two decent options for the future I think . 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 10:32pm
The squad as I see it right now:

Players in [] have been previously called up but not capped.
Players in () I think are near a call up.

Parrott                  Obafemi                     
                     Robinson               Ferguson                          
                     Idah                      Ogbene
                     Keane                    Connolly
                                                  (Cannon)
                                  McGrath         
                                  Browne
                                  Knight
                                  [Ronan]                
    Manning                  (Azaz)                       Doherty
    Brady                                 Molumby        Coleman
    O'Dowda     Cullen              Hendrick         Sykes
    McClean     [Coventry]       [Smallbone]    [Ebosele]
                      (Hodge)                                 (McNamara)              

O'Shea      Egan     Collins                         
                    Lenihan     Duffy     Omobamidele
                   [Scales]    [Dunne]  (McNally)

Kelleher
                                  Bazunu
                                  Travers
                                 [O'Leary]

-Coventry & Smallbone need to be blooded, both playing regularly & well in the Championship now.
-Would also cap Hodge & Ebosele.
-Ronan and/or Azaz also need to be tried, the lack of creative-mids is holding us back.
-There's a conversation to be had about Cannon.

Players that played in 2022 that I don't think we'll see in green again:
Hourihane, Stevens, Christie, Hogan, Hamilton
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 10:36pm
Will be interesting to see if Kenny is up to dropping Hourihane from the squad. I'm not convinced, I think he'll pick him again. He'll probably get game time against Latvia.

Edited by You Tell Me - 27 Feb 2023 at 10:37pm
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 10:38pm
no mcgrath or scales near the squad please. get manning smallbone and hodge involved, its latvia stephen have a bit of balls. keep sykes in the squad also, could do with seeing more of him. 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 10:53pm
Hourihane will be Kenny's first name on the squad list.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 11:12pm
I wouldn’t expect much change between November and now. For some reason I think Kenny is quite set, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there are only a small number of changes between both games.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 11:21pm
There's a legitimate question over whether Bazunu should start vs France or not. He's undeniably having a bad season, if he makes the same kind of errors vs France as he's been making for Southampton we'll get hammered.

To add to that, in the Nations League he was comfortably out-performed by Kelleher, even though he was a Premiere League regular while Kelleher wasn't playing at all at club level.

NL'22:
Kelleher - played 4, conceded 3, 1 clean sheet in our biggest home win of the last 7 years.
Bazunu - played 2, conceded 4, 0 clean sheets.

Less fair to compare their friendlies as Kelleher got 2 easy games vs Malta & Lithuania, but:
Kelleher - played 3, conceded 2, 2 clean sheets.
Bazunu - played 1, conceded 2.

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Will be interesting to see if Kenny is up to dropping Hourihane from the squad. I'm not convinced, I think he'll pick him again. He'll probably get game time against Latvia.

To be fair, Kenny has been pretty good about moving on players that aren't up to it as long as there's viable options to try.
And while a lot of people seem to think Kenny just loves Hourihane & won't drop him, the reality is he hasn't given Hourihane a competitive start since November 2020, that says exactly what Kenny thinks of him. The issue has been no players coming in to push him out once & for all.

That doesn't even take into account Hourihanes nightmare vs Armenia. He single-handedly almost got us relegated from a 2-0 lead. Kenny's binned players for a lot less than that.

As I said, Smallbone & Coventry both playing regularly and well in the Championship now. 9 years younger, higher ceilings, & a level higher.
Not to mention Azaz, Hodge & Ronan, all of whom should be looked at before wasting another cap on Hourihane. Connell & Phillips won't be far behind either.

Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

no mcgrath or scales near the squad please. get manning smallbone and hodge involved, its latvia stephen have a bit of balls. keep sykes in the squad also, could do with seeing more of him. 

McGrath starts vs France for me. We've missed him across 2022.

McNally I'd say has leapfrogged Scales & Dunne as the 7th choice behind Egan, Collins, O'Shea, Lenihan, Duffy & Omobamidele. If he keeps his current for going he'll won't be far away from a cap.

Smallbone, Coventry, Manning & Sykes should all start vs Latvia for me.

Edited by Greenie50 - 27 Feb 2023 at 11:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
  Share Topic