You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Away days with family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 5:41pm
As with general day to day life there'll always be challenges with kids on holidays, regardless of age, so wouldn’t be put off by anything that happens. We had a great week in Portugal, though it was helped by the hotel having an indoor swimming pool. 

I would have taken a gamble on leaving the pram under a tree Tom, there was plenty to choose from. 
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 5:43pm
Tom did you just sit in the buggy under the tree drinking cans? 😀😀
AKA pedantic kunt
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Lodger Lodger wrote:

As with general day to day life there'll always be challenges with kids on holidays, regardless of age, so wouldn’t be put off by anything that happens. We had a great week in Portugal, though it was helped by the hotel having an indoor swimming pool. 

I would have taken a gamble on leaving the pram under a tree Tom, there was plenty to choose from. 
our apt had an indoor pool also…which one were you in,?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Don't think I'll be in any rush to do this again.
Think we went to more pharmacy's than pubs. Went with a friend and their 2 kids and between his and my 1 year old they all came down with something while over there.
Also the weather was sh*t. Just don't think I'd be willing to go on holidays till she's about 5, it's some hassle.
Disagree. We had a great holiday (like Greece).

The only problem was that there was no buggy allowed in and no assistance from the security or police. No left luggage spot. Was advised to "leave it under a tree".

I missed the game as a result but the missus and kid got in.
Saint Tom: Had a great time bringing the family to the Ireland game.

Also Saint Tom: Missed the Ireland game because of bringing the family.

I missed the game because the Gibraltar/ Portuguese had no interest in helping and there were no Irish reps at the gates to resolve issues as we have come to expect (unless they are harassing fans).

Also, there was no communication telling us otherwise that a buggy wasn't permitted. I was €70 return taxi from the apartment and wasn't doing that compounding already sunk costs that had been lost (match ticket and transport share). Plus it would have taken an hour.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 6:30pm

Wasnt the cost of losing it, was the cost of not having one for the rest of the week.
Lodger View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

our apt had an indoor pool also…which one were you in,?

Vila Petra in the “new” town. Decent spot with a spacious apartment. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 8:40am
Would love to try it someday but I think the little ones would have to be a bit older before we do it.  

To be honest if I was bringing the kids the drink would take a backseat that’s for sure.  Might even do it in such a way that I head to the game and just bring the eldest with me like I do for the home games.

Probably easier if your husband/wife/partner is into the football too.   

Edited by Baldrick - 24 Oct 2023 at 8:41am
AKA pedantic kunt
Bonehead24 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonehead24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 9:51am

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Don't think I'll be in any rush to do this again.
Think we went to more pharmacy's than pubs. Went with a friend and their 2 kids and between his and my 1 year old they all came down with something while over there.
Also the weather was sh*t. Just don't think I'd be willing to go on holidays till she's about 5, it's some hassle.
Disagree. We had a great holiday (like Greece).

The only problem was that there was no buggy allowed in and no assistance from the security or police. No left luggage spot. Was advised to "leave it under a tree".

I missed the game as a result but the missus and kid got in.
Saint Tom: Had a great time bringing the family to the Ireland game.

Also Saint Tom: Missed the Ireland game because of bringing the family.

I missed the game because the Gibraltar/ Portuguese had no interest in helping and there were no Irish reps at the gates to resolve issues as we have come to expect (unless they are harassing fans).

Also, there was no communication telling us otherwise that a buggy wasn't permitted. I was €70 return taxi from the apartment and wasn't doing that compounding already sunk costs that had been lost (match ticket and transport share). Plus it would have taken an hour.
The norm now. Never there when needed
DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 9:58am
Myself and the missus always go. Youngfella has no interest in the national team. More interested in playing video games. Tried it once never again. It would be like him asking me to play his Super Nintendo or whatever they play for 90 minutes. 
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 1:32pm
I look at Ireland away trips as my chance of getting away by myself for a few days and completely switching off from normal life. A rare chance to just worry about myself, have pints and not worry about keeping the kids entertained. Even when they're older I can't see the draw in bringing them (wife also has no interest in football and 2 kids (girls with no interest in football) are 3 and 5 at the moment).

I've brought them to LOI women's games and you spend most of the game giving them food, running after them around the stadium etc. I'm happy doing that at a game I've little interest in to get them in to football but I wouldn't fancy it at a qualifier 
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 1:33pm
A lot depends on the location to keep the kids entertained. I have three under 6 so I wouldn't even bother to bring them all. Would love to see the wife's reaction if I suggested Bosnia away, in winter, as a family.

As said above  my drinking habits have also changed since having kids as a hangover and sorting them out is a disaster.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 1:37pm
There would be a number of lads who need as much minding as kids on away trips!
ButtySugrue View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButtySugrue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 2:08pm
Not sure if I had kids I could do it. Away days are a way to get away from that stuff. It gives me a break away from the girlfriend
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 2:19pm
Absolutely get it's not for everyone.

But for those who have travelled with their partners for years to games, you can't exactly say I'm off on my own now, good luck at home.

There will be sure places or suits to bring kids and others it won't.

I'm just glad I can keep getting to games.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 2:21pm

But for those who have travelled with their partners for years to games, you can't exactly say I'm off on my own now, good luck at home.

The next step will be getting into one!!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 2:21pm

Worst thing I did was let Aido chat to my partner.   No chance she was going to go to another game after that 😀
AKA pedantic kunt
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

A lot depends on the location to keep the kids entertained. I have three under 6 so I wouldn't even bother to bring them all. Would love to see the wife's reaction if I suggested Bosnia away, in winter, as a family.

As said above  my drinking habits have also changed since having kids as a hangover and sorting them out is a disaster.

LOLLOLLOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 3:40pm
The coke heads and throwing of pints after a goal wouldn't be great around kids.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic