You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Away days with family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Away days with family
    Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 10:15am
Going to Portugal for the Gibralter match with the family and bringing the daughter to her first game. I'm looking forward to it, but she'll be 1 year a 4 months in October so might be at an awkward age.
For those who have brought young kids before have ye regretted it? Or keep family and away days separate?
At least the Algave will just be like a sun holiday, whereas a city match might be different again.

The other half has been to a few aways before in Stockholm and last time playing Gib in Faro, but they were a bit of duds cos Stockholm was too spread out, and not much craic post match in Faro.
Vienna was the best away trip for her, but there was a karaoke involved. 
The dark side.. And the light
Sponsored Links

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 10:52am
brought my daughter to the last Gibraltar game in Faro for her first game mind you she was a bit older. However by staying in albufeia your mixing up a sun/family holiday and an away trip with the away trip being the match and the eve of the game
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 11:08am
Only you can answer that question.

My kids when they were very young wouldn't have liked it so I never brought them, I brought my 10 year old to Denmark a few years ago and even then he was bored up until he met someone his own age and then he had a great time.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 11:31am

I’ve a couple of young lads and my theory is that I won’t be taking to live games until they are happy enough to sit through most of an Ireland match on tv. 
El Puto Amo
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 1:26pm
Bring them to a home game first IMO. I brought my 5yo to the FAI cup final last year, lots of food/snacks involved to get them through 2 hrs
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 1:42pm
Bringing our little one to Greece in June, she'll be two in July. 

To be honest it's a chance to get to the game during a family holiday in a place that has enough to keep us busy for the length of time we are there.

As Kev says the match for us still be a few drinks the day before and going to the match itself. 

Will see how it goes, will do the same for Gibraltar if it works well.

My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 3:03pm
Clearly be a different atmosphere compared with going to Amsterdam with your mates.

Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 9:34pm
Gibraltar will be like going to an Arsenal game. You'll be fine.
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 5:29pm
Brought the ex wife and nipper to Liechtenstein in 1995 for the 0-0, lad is probably still traumatized
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Brought the ex wife and nipper to Liechtenstein in 1995 for the 0-0, lad is probably still traumatized

Was she the ex wife at the time. 😀
AKA pedantic kunt
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 12:19pm
Don't think I'll be in any rush to do this again.
Think we went to more pharmacy's than pubs. Went with a friend and their 2 kids and between his and my 1 year old they all came down with something while over there.
Also the weather was sh*t. Just don't think I'd be willing to go on holidays till she's about 5, it's some hassle.

Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Think we went to more pharmacy's than pubs. Went with a friend and their 2 kids and between his and my 1 year old they all came down with something while over there.
Also the weather was sh*t. Just don't think I'd be willing to go on holidays till she's about 5, it's some hassle.

Disagree. We had a great holiday (like Greece).

The only problem was that there was no buggy allowed in and no assistance from the security or police. No left luggage spot. Was advised to "leave it under a tree".

I missed the game as a result but the missus and kid got in.

My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Disagree. We had a great holiday (like Greece).

The only problem was that there was no buggy allowed in and no assistance from the security or police. No left luggage spot. Was advised to "leave it under a tree".

I missed the game as a result but the missus and kid got in.
Saint Tom: Had a great time bringing the family to the Ireland game.

Also Saint Tom: Missed the Ireland game because of bringing the family.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 2:50pm
Pints and kids don't mix imo.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Pints and kids don't mix imo.

Had a lovely afternoon pint in the sun last Monday afternoon exchanging funny faces with Saint Tom's daughter so I would disagree on this!
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 3:10pm
Pints and yer own kids I meant.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 3:42pm

Was only a few showers where I was, thought the weather was perfect. Just obviously unlucky with the kids getting sick. 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 3:57pm
Brought our little man into the game in Paris, was the end of a couple of weeks holidays. I'd have no issues doing it again and great way for him/us to travel. 

Definitely, a different buzz of an away trip but that's no harm. Already looking at making a decent spin out of the potential Scandinavian games in next year's Nations League.  
Touts Out!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic