You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aidan Keena

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aidan Keena
    Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 9:48pm
1st assist for Cheltenham tonight off the bench!

Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 9:51pm
He'll do well and hopefully will kick on..could be playing at an even higher level in a few years. I wouldn't be surprised.
I love beer gardens
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 6:21pm
Started last night and got another assist in the EFL Trophy semi-final, away to Plymouth. Seems to have hit the ground running.
Idah Dream!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 6:48pm
They shud have kept him on for the penos. 
I love beer gardens
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 2:23am
He put in a good shift for Cheltenham against Plymouth, as did old warhorse Sean Long at the back, Will Ferry had a quiet game. Finn Azaz played well for Plymouth despite missing a penalty in the shoot-out and looks like a player who is capable of a higher level.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 4:25pm
Continues his good start with a goal for Cheltenham!
Idah Dream!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 4:28pm
Delighted for him. Hopefully more goals to come. 
I love beer gardens
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 10:06am
Another goal last night in a 2-2 draw with 2nd from top Sheffield Wednesday. Only 23, could he be a lateish bloomer that contends for a place in Irish squads in the future?

Ferry seems to be starting regularly for Cheltenham these days too, I quite liked the look of him when he first broke in to the U21s, still only 22.
Idah Dream!
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 2:19pm

yeah it’s guys like these u can keep an eye on too… slow burners !!! good to awe
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 2:48pm
Good to see him doing well, but any player coming through up front at that level has a fair amount of traffic to get through at this point to get to the senior squad. I can't see him contending while he's at Cheltenham anyway.

Ferry might still have a shot, but mainly because he plays in the position where we have the least amount of talent coming through. I felt he was underused at Under 21 level. He may never develop to more than a League 1 player either though.

I think we're only a few months away from being back in a position where playing in League 1 means no chance of a call up for a competitive game.

Edited by You Tell Me - 30 Mar 2023 at 2:51pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 3:00pm
I'd agree that L1 probably isnt enough to warrant a call up any more, unless producing exceptional numbers there like Azaz, and I havent seen enough of Keena to offer any real insight on him, but lads at 22 and 23 playing L1 football regularly must have a chance of stepping up another level as their careers progress. Given we currently only have 2 PL regulars in the squad and one is 34 pushing 35 while the other is a GK, any lad under the age of 25 playing regularly at L1 level must think they might get a sniff in the future.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 3:18pm
We do have about 50 players playing in the Championship though, some of which have never been called up, and that's a fair step up from League 1. I don't mind League 1 - it's a good starting point for first time loanees, players who don't make it at bigger clubs or lads going over from Ireland. But I think most will need to step up a division to come into senior contention. Even someone like Azaz. Let's see how he does in the Championship and then make a call on him.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

We do have about 50 players playing in the Championship though, some of which have never been called up, and that's a fair step up from League 1. I don't mind League 1 - it's a good starting point for first time loanees, players who don't make it at bigger clubs or lads going over from Ireland. But I think most will need to step up a division to come into senior contention. Even someone like Azaz. Let's see how he does in the Championship and then make a call on him.

That's probably fair enough. Remember Hourihane a few years back when he was breaking through in L1. He was banging in crackers on the regular. He has never been convincing at senior International level. 
El Puto Amo
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 3:24pm
keena and kelly alike are miles off the required level. 
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

I never will understand this need people have to write players off.
Keena is only in the UK two months, finding his feet and just starting to score goals. Still only 23yo. As a comparison John Egan was playing League One with Gillingham at the same age and now he is an important first team starter for Ireland.
Kelly's season in the Championship been disrupted by injury especially when he just got starting regularly and scoring goals for Rotherham. He is still having issues regaining full fitness. Hopefully Rotherham stay up and he can get another cracking at the Championship.
Currently both players are far down the peaking order with a lot of options head off them and they have a lot to do. But none of us know where their career trajectory will go. Writing them off is silly.

When Keena left Sligo Rovers he mentioned in an article that one of his career ambitions is to get into the Ireland squad. From watching him last season he is a very hard worker and he has the ability to score and create goals. It is up to him to keep working hard and perform, get to a higher level like the Championship and perform, score regularly there to become an option for the Ireland squad.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Keena is only in the UK two months, finding his feet and just starting to score goals. Still only 23yo. As a comparison John Egan was playing League One with Gillingham at the same age and now he is an important first team starter for Ireland.
Kelly's season in the Championship been disrupted by injury especially when he just got starting regularly and scoring goals for Rotherham. He is still having issues regaining full fitness. Hopefully Rotherham stay up and he can get another cracking at the Championship.
Currently both players are far down the peaking order with a lot of options head off them and they have a lot to do. But none of us know where their career trajectory will go. Writing them off is silly.

When Keena left Sligo Rovers he mentioned in an article that one of his career ambitions is to get into the Ireland squad. From watching him last season he is a very hard worker and he has the ability to score and create goals. It is up to him to keep working hard and perform, get to a higher level like the Championship and perform, score regularly there to become an option for the Ireland squad.

Tbf, I think Kelly's ship has probably sailed at this point, 26 and hasnt been able to establish himself as a regular starter at Rotherham 15 months since he moved over from the LOI. Keena is almost 3 years younger however, and only 3 months in England, so he still has a chance, he could be a starting striker in the Championship by the time he hits 25 which is probably the minimum required for consideration..

Edited by John Nice - 31 Mar 2023 at 2:29pm
Idah Dream!
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Tbf, I think Kelly's ship has probably sailed at this point, 26 and hasnt been able to establish himself as a regular starter at Rotherham 15 months since he moved over from the LOI. Keena is almost 3 years younger however, and only 3 months in England, so he still has a chance, he could be a starting striker in the Championship by the time he hits 25 which is probably the minimum required for consideration..

Personally I don't think Kelly's ship has shipped. He is playing regularly in the Championship when he is fit
Kelly was just starting a run of matches for Rotherham in the Championship , he was playing well and scoring goals at the time until he got injured. If Rotherham stay up Kelly will have another swing at the Championship. All it will take is a sustained run if scoring goals, a few of the current players a head of him get injured, not playing or in poor form ,he could be seen at an option for us.
I really don't get this ship has shipped stuff, you just don't know what will happen in a years time and just using his age of 26yo doesn't prove anything. People seen to enjoy writing players off, I just don't get in.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Personally I don't think Kelly's ship has shipped. He is playing regularly in the Championship when he is fit
Kelly was just starting a run of matches for Rotherham in the Championship , he was playing well and scoring goals at the time until he got injured. If Rotherham stay up Kelly will have another swing at the Championship. All it will take is a sustained run if scoring goals, a few of the current players a head of him get injured, not playing or in poor form ,he could be seen at an option for us.
I really don't get this ship has shipped stuff, you just don't know what will happen in a years time and just using his age of 26yo doesn't prove anything. People seen to enjoy writing players off, I just don't get in.

Fair enough, he could be a late bloomer, but I have seen more of him than I have of Keena tbh and he currently doesnt look of the required quality, he's not the quickest and he doesnt have a great touch imo. He does know where the net is and he can be a handful for defenders, but he will need to improve his hold up play as he matures to have any chance. I wouldnt write any player off, Wes got a cap at 25, 1 at 29 and then another 41 in his 30's. The difference here is Wes always looked like a lad with talent, I like Georgie, he's a fellow Donegal man, but I dont see it in him, hope I'm wrong.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic