You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Last of Us - series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

The final episode, I have a lot of issues with. Couldnt believe how quickly it was dealt with. Should have been drawn out and filled with suspense and they instead went for this quick sequence. Obviously they painted the Fireflies as being more knowledgable in the series than in the game when it came to the surgery, felt like in the series it was implied that it was going to work whereas in the game this surgery is more than likely not going to work when you actually examine everything.

But obviously all of that has to be removed for what is to come.

I know we're just not gonna agree on anything about the 2nd game but I've seen loads of talk about how incompetent the Fireflies are from show-only people (my gf included - when Joel started working his way through the hospital she was shouting at him to hurry up LOL), so I'd say the same feelings are in the audience about the Fireflies. I actually would have much preferred more backstory in the show for Marlene because I think she's actually less sympathetic in the show - why would you be so willing to sacrifice your best friends daughter, so quickly, without consulting her? The show didn't really give Marlene much justification imo and she was every bit the hypocrite in the car park conversation (which was like the game tbf). 

I've always felt the ending was more that it didn't matter to Joel whether it would work or not, he is not calculating in his mind how likely it is that the surgery is successful, never mind all the things fans say about how would you even distribute the vaccine/cure and all of that stuff - he's just thinking "no, she's not going to die and I don't care what it costs". That has always been the more interesting thing to me with the game, not whether the Fireflies were legit or not. 

But I do agree I was pretty disappointed with the finale. I think they really could have used another episode with just Joel and Ellie making their way to the hospital, another Infected encounter or something. They put in the tendrils thing as an idea in episode 2 and then it just never came up again which was disappointing to me. 

Oh I know, for Joel it doesn't really matter - although the argument could be made that their sheer incompetence certainly helped his decision.

From a player/viewer perspective - while I would have agreed with Joel's choice even with a 100 percent chance of cure, I feel like with all the other stuff making it likely there is little chance of a cure makes it even easier to agree with him.

Unfortunately, the legitimacy of the whole thing remains relevant for what is to come for multiple characters. If the cure never had a real chance of being produced (which it really didn't), and if everybody involved was a clueless idiot with no idea of what they were doing, jumping immediately to killing their only immune person - then it certainly renders the actions of certain people later far more disgusting, actions that are almost certainly going to be shown through a prism of sympathy and justification.

Treading around spoilers here but I don't think the likelihood of a cure/vaccine really has anything to do with whether future actions are justifiable or not, that's regardless of how something might be framed in the show.. But I am a fan of Part II so I think we'll probably just not agree there and that's alreet 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic