You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Last of Us - series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Considering that episode was where she was initially infected and it tied in with her birth how she ended up in the military school, I thought it was fine. 

I'll tell you what is ridiculous though. You've been out in the wilderness for months in the cold and you finally meet your brother and he lives in an idyllic encampment with food, showers, beds and you stay for one night. f**k RIGHT OFF WITH THAT BULLsh*t

Ha thought the same, I'd be chilling out and hitting the bar for a couple of months
Chips don't bounce
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Is that also where she got infected/bit in the real game?

Dunno I'm not a nerd and play computer games so I couldn't tell yah Big smile
It would damage this forums' reputation
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 4:53pm
I haven't played computer games in 20 years. Is the game like a Resident evil type game?
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 5:36pm

Is that also where she got infected/bit in the real game?

yes. it also happens at the same moment of the story as a flashback, the DLC was called Left Behind. It was like an add-on to the game (pretty common with Playstation games around that time, not a full sequel but new content for fans to get excited about). It explored what Ellie got up to while Joel was sick from that wound and it incorporated flashbacks to how she got infected and her relationship with Riley. 

if it didn't work for you that's fine, I didn't particularly like it in the game or in the show either. but if it was the exact same story, and Ellie wasn't gay and kissed a lad instead of another girl, you wouldn't call it woke, but the story probably still wouldn't work for you, you'd just say it's a random boring bit. So all I was saying is maybe not every LGBT character or story on screen is out to push some agenda, maybe they're just stories LOL

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 5:42pm
Ok if it was all in the game and they were staying true to it then I take it back. Its just burnout from the amount of other films ruined. Im currently rewatching friends and just thinking about a show like that wouldnt be able to be made in the same way if it was now. And I still haven't got over what they did to star wars.

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:21pm

Ok if it was all in the game and they were staying true to it then I take it back. Its just burnout from the amount of other films ruined. Im currently rewatching friends and just thinking about a show like that wouldnt be able to be made in the same way if it was now. And I still haven't got over what they did to star wars.

You will despise the 2nd season from what you are describing. I think the storyline is a genuine abomination, filled with detestable characters, terrible writing and an insanely stupid "message".
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:38pm
If this is the best show on tv at the minute it's time to put on the radio.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:38pm
Severance is the best thing on tv at the moment.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

*Succession 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

*Succession 

Succession is good but has become repetitive.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 7:15pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

*Succession 

Succession is good but has become repetitive.

F**k off.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:04pm
Succession is f**king sh*te
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 3:54pm
Ended up having mixed feelings on this as someone who has played the games. Loved the first and utterly despised the 2nd.

Felt it ended up being extremely rushed, a lot of Ellue and Joel's relationship ended up being developed off screen - it seemed like for example between episode 8 and 9 a gigantic leap had been taken forward on their dynamic, off screen.

Which made the decision to jump away from the main story for two standalone gay romance episodes which had nothing to do with the main plot even more baffling. The Bill and Frank episode was a good episode so could be justified by the Riley stuff was really pointless to show.

The final episode, I have a lot of issues with. Couldnt believe how quickly it was dealt with. Should have been drawn out and filled with suspense and they instead went for this quick sequence. Obviously they painted the Fireflies as being more knowledgable in the series than in the game when it came to the surgery, felt like in the series it was implied that it was going to work whereas in the game this surgery is more than likely not going to work when you actually examine everything.

But obviously all of that has to be removed for what is to come.

Joel is far, far less hardened in this too which I actually felt took away from the story as Ellie breaking down those barriers means so much more.

Overall maybe a 6/10 adaptation given the source material only gets hilariously, incomprehensibly bad from here, probably a good time to bow out.

Edited by E2016 - 11 Apr 2023 at 3:59pm
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 1:09am
Succession heating up big time in its final series Shocked
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 9:29am

Which made the decision to jump away from the main story for two standalone gay romance episodes which had nothing to do with the main plot even more baffling. The Bill and Frank episode was a good episode so could be justified by the Riley stuff was really pointless to show.
I thought that was a good episode, in the context of your typical filler episode. Seeing how Ellie learned about her immunity was a story worth telling, imo.

Joel is far, far less hardened in this too which I actually felt took away from the story as Ellie breaking down those barriers means so much more.
I kind of agree with you on this, however I'm unsure of how a 100% accurately portrayed Joel would have translated to TV. I think people who are not familiar with the game would have found it very hard to like or sympathise with Joel and by the time Ellie finally would have broken him down it could have been a bit tiresome.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 10:42am

The final episode, I have a lot of issues with. Couldnt believe how quickly it was dealt with. Should have been drawn out and filled with suspense and they instead went for this quick sequence. Obviously they painted the Fireflies as being more knowledgable in the series than in the game when it came to the surgery, felt like in the series it was implied that it was going to work whereas in the game this surgery is more than likely not going to work when you actually examine everything.

I know we're just not gonna agree on anything about the 2nd game but I've seen loads of talk about how incompetent the Fireflies are from show-only people (my gf included - when Joel started working his way through the hospital she was shouting at him to hurry up LOL), so I'd say the same feelings are in the audience about the Fireflies. I actually would have much preferred more backstory in the show for Marlene because I think she's actually less sympathetic in the show - why would you be so willing to sacrifice your best friends daughter, so quickly, without consulting her? The show didn't really give Marlene much justification imo and she was every bit the hypocrite in the car park conversation (which was like the game tbf). 

I've always felt the ending was more that it didn't matter to Joel whether it would work or not, he is not calculating in his mind how likely it is that the surgery is successful, never mind all the things fans say about how would you even distribute the vaccine/cure and all of that stuff - he's just thinking "no, she's not going to die and I don't care what it costs". That has always been the more interesting thing to me with the game, not whether the Fireflies were legit or not. 

But I do agree I was pretty disappointed with the finale. I think they really could have used another episode with just Joel and Ellie making their way to the hospital, another Infected encounter or something. They put in the tendrils thing as an idea in episode 2 and then it just never came up again which was disappointing to me. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 10:44am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

I kind of agree with you on this, however I'm unsure of how a 100% accurately portrayed Joel would have translated to TV. I think people who are not familiar with the game would have found it very hard to like or sympathise with Joel and by the time Ellie finally would have broken him down it could have been a bit tiresome.

yeah I agree with this, I wasn't really sure about it early in the season but after the conversation with Tommy about how scared he was of not being able to protect her, I think it was a good choice for television overall, my gf was 100000% Team Joel from there on
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 11:20am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I know we're just not gonna agree on anything about the 2nd game but I've seen loads of talk about how incompetent the Fireflies are from show-only people (my gf included - when Joel started working his way through the hospital she was shouting at him to hurry up LOL), so I'd say the same feelings are in the audience about the Fireflies. I actually would have much preferred more backstory in the show for Marlene because I think she's actually less sympathetic in the show - why would you be so willing to sacrifice your best friends daughter, so quickly, without consulting her? The show didn't really give Marlene much justification imo and she was every bit the hypocrite in the car park conversation (which was like the game tbf). 

I've always felt the ending was more that it didn't matter to Joel whether it would work or not, he is not calculating in his mind how likely it is that the surgery is successful, never mind all the things fans say about how would you even distribute the vaccine/cure and all of that stuff - he's just thinking "no, she's not going to die and I don't care what it costs". That has always been the more interesting thing to me with the game, not whether the Fireflies were legit or not. 

But I do agree I was pretty disappointed with the finale. I think they really could have used another episode with just Joel and Ellie making their way to the hospital, another Infected encounter or something. They put in the tendrils thing as an idea in episode 2 and then it just never came up again which was disappointing to me. 

Oh I know, for Joel it doesn't really matter - although the argument could be made that their sheer incompetence certainly helped his decision.

From a player/viewer perspective - while I would have agreed with Joel's choice even with a 100 percent chance of cure, I feel like with all the other stuff making it likely there is little chance of a cure makes it even easier to agree with him.

Unfortunately, the legitimacy of the whole thing remains relevant for what is to come for multiple characters. If the cure never had a real chance of being produced (which it really didn't), and if everybody involved was a clueless idiot with no idea of what they were doing, jumping immediately to killing their only immune person - then it certainly renders the actions of certain people later far more disgusting, actions that are almost certainly going to be shown through a prism of sympathy and justification.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic