You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TG4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

I would argue that the massive increase in interest in both ladies football and club hurling and football is almost exclusively down to the efforts of TG4 over the past two decades 
agree. it's not a huge market compared to the men's inter-county as yet but the explosion in the women's game especially should be credited to TG4. 
Sponsored Links

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I've always thought the biggest problem with live LOI is the reluctance to move games for TV audience. Sky and the PL took off with Super Sunday and Monday Night Football, live games on between crap teams when there was nothing else on TV. We show a live Friday night game when the majority of LOI fans are another games (or watching them on LOI go). If they could find a regular slot for the live game that worked, Saturday evening football (5.30) or Thursday nights maybe, you'd get a bigger audience.

What about looking after the interests of the fans who actually go to games?
Surely that should be priority number one - If you start down the route you are proposing then you end up where you are now in England with games being scheduled on an ongoing basis were fans can't get home by public transport after games due to the mad times they are being played at
Absolutely agree, I've always maintained that European football is a TV show, domestic football is an event and we should keep it that way. I've never worried about the lack of TV coverage. I'm only proposing what I think would have to happen for a TV-friendly product, you basically have to replicate the English 3pm blackout or go down the Spanish/Italian route of kick-off times scattered all over the weekend, neither which I'd favour
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Has it not been offered to them previously and they’ve shown no interest?

Would be hugely in favour of them having exclusivity because RTE are incapable of giving the league any significant airtime.

TG4 are by a distance the best sport broadcaster in Ireland. As already mentioned their GAA coverage is sensational, especially the club and women’s games. But they also have covered rugby, woman’s football, basketball and racing in the past few months alone. Given their stretches resources as it is, do they have capacity for LOI? The FAI certainly won’t help them out
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 4:45pm
The League of Ireland needs a regular spot on TV so it can build an audience.

RTÉ broadcasts games haphazardly throughout the season so you have no idea if a game is on from week to the next. Their former highlights programme was also terrible. If you were to give RTÉ domestic football coverage a title it would be: designed to fail.

Compare that to TG4, and what they have done with club GAA.

When the Women's World Cup was on in France a few years ago, I thought TG4 provided the best commentary, when compared to RTÉ and BBC. Their commentators definitely seemed to enjoy the games more than the other channels.

My Irish is good enough, however, even if you can't understand it, once the commentary has a bit of life about it it can work.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 9:34am
https://www.the42.ie/tg4-league-of-ireland-6121629-Jul2023/

Good article from Gavin Cooney on this 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic