Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TG4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TG4
    Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 10:19pm
The league could do a lot worse than giving these lads exclusive rights to the league. Guaranteed proper coverage, serious exposure. FBD league final on live tonight which is off the wall bizarre. They've done massive work for GAA

And they'd do more than a small handful of games a year. The half arsed rte approach does nothing for football in Ireland 

Be interesting to see how the WNL gets on 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Sponsored Links

Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 10:25pm

They cover GAA brilliantly, I think they were first to have the kick out camera angle too. The pundits are excellent.

Laochra Gael is back soon also, a great series. 
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 10:34pm
Yeah would be brilliant to see. Was kind of shocked when I saw the women’s games live there last season & no live men’s football for around 3 months 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 11:00pm
They do show league games dont they. Usually 1 live and 1 deferred. How many more cud they show sure.
I love beer gardens
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 1:16am
It's something to do with the international package. RTE don't want to show games but must.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 4:09am
Has it not been offered to them previously and they’ve shown no interest?

Would be hugely in favour of them having exclusivity because RTE are incapable of giving the league any significant airtime.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 11:53am
TG4 had games years ago but only showed a few a year
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by saintjoey saintjoey wrote:

I don't get it, there has to be something more to this because they are more than willing to show club football, FBD league, camogie, women's interleague rugby, and Women's National League, so they'd have to be willing to take on something that, in my view, would garner better viewing figures?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 8:55am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Originally posted by saintjoey saintjoey wrote:

I don't get it, there has to be something more to this because they are more than willing to show club football, FBD league, camogie, women's interleague rugby, and Women's National League, so they'd have to be willing to take on something that, in my view, would garner better viewing figures?

I doubt they'd pay much for it. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 8:56am
I've always thought the biggest problem with live LOI is the reluctance to move games for TV audience. Sky and the PL took off with Super Sunday and Monday Night Football, live games on between crap teams when there was nothing else on TV. We show a live Friday night game when the majority of LOI fans are another games (or watching them on LOI go). If they could find a regular slot for the live game that worked, Saturday evening football (5.30) or Thursday nights maybe, you'd get a bigger audience.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I've always thought the biggest problem with live LOI is the reluctance to move games for TV audience. Sky and the PL took off with Super Sunday and Monday Night Football, live games on between crap teams when there was nothing else on TV. We show a live Friday night game when the majority of LOI fans are another games (or watching them on LOI go). If they could find a regular slot for the live game that worked, Saturday evening football (5.30) or Thursday nights maybe, you'd get a bigger audience.

What about looking after the interests of the fans who actually go to games?
Surely that should be priority number one - If you start down the route you are proposing then you end up where you are now in England with games being scheduled on an ongoing basis were fans can't get home by public transport after games due to the mad times they are being played at
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

What about looking after the interests of the fans who actually go to games?
Surely that should be priority number one - If you start down the route you are proposing then you end up where you are now in England with games being scheduled on an ongoing basis were fans can't get home by public transport after games due to the mad times they are being played at
Agree. 
Also fans that go to games will always go to games, they’re not exactly the market. Tv coverage should be about growing the game, a weekly Friday night fixture on tg4 would be excellent and once given time & consistency the viewing figures will grow. 
RTE expecting decent viewing figures when the live fixtures are completely at random and not really advertised is silly 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:56am

99% of amateur football teams train Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I think the Friday night slot is a good fit for LOI.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 11:20am
Listening to games in Irish just wouldn't fly with people. Unless they done them in English. Big Friday night games should be on RTE. Cup games should be covered also. You wouldn't even need to have them on every week but usually RTE show a few at the start and a few closer to the end. Need a bit more consistency. A highlights show would be perfect aswell.
I love beer gardens
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 11:41am
But sure TG4 have been covering sport for years, in Irish, with great successful 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 11:56am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

But sure TG4 have been covering sport for years, in Irish, with great successful 

Well yes but wud the viewing figures be huge? Unlikely. maybe some of the main GAA matches. Even watching a GAA match in Irish isnt ideal. Its our own language but i would suspect a lot of people would feel the same. If were looking to grow interest in LOI the TG4 isn't the spot for it IMO.
I love beer gardens
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 12:04pm
I would argue that the massive increase in interest in both ladies football and club hurling and football is almost exclusively down to the efforts of TG4 over the past two decades 
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Listening to games in Irish just wouldn't fly with people. Unless they done them in English. Big Friday night games should be on RTE. Cup games should be covered also. You wouldn't even need to have them on every week but usually RTE show a few at the start and a few closer to the end. Need a bit more consistency. A highlights show would be perfect aswell.

Why should they? TG4 have a pretty specific remit. Why should they sacrifice that? 

Saying it wouldn't fly with people is just wrong imo. People love TG4s coverage of the GAA, Irish speakers and non-speakers alike. And if you're a fan of LOI and have free access to watch the games, why would you turn your nose up at it? 

to answer the OP, I would say this comes down to money. TG4 don't have a huge pot and need to be pretty targeted with what they're going after. I agree though, I think it'd be a great move, their sports coverage is top quality across the board imo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic