You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Netherlands Away Nov 18th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonehead24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 9:11am
Used Bolt in Amsterdam on Saturday because of the rain. Destination was 20 mins walk away. Taxi took about 30 mins but quoted price on Bolt was €18 so that's all it cost. Was quoted €50 by fella on the street
Sponsored Links

CmoreScagnetti View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmoreScagnetti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 9:38am
Taxi drivers quoted us 40 euro to bring us to our hotel from central station when we 1st arrived. Got an Uber instead for 9.50 for what turned out to be around a 7 minute drive.
dotts101 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dotts101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 9:53am
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Originally posted by dotts101 dotts101 wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Anyone who has had issues with train or metro fares, or checking out of the transport network can correct it gets after six days.

They tried to charge me 20 quid for the train to the airport. There was nowhere to scan out when we got to the airport the snakes

Same as. That's why I've posted the link

Good man, how much should it have been?�£

Anyone else have trouble with taxi drivers? Tried to charge me 96e one of the nights, ended up in a fight with him and getting pushed into a stack of bikes🙈
They try and charge you off meter.. they wanted €100 back to the city after the game. eventually got a taxi guy who put it on the meter for €55. Same in the city, a lot of taxi drivers quote you off meter, so you'll learn quickly. 

2 of the lads paid 130e back to the city after the game, don't know why they paid it. I learnt from previous night and just went into the local bars for a few drinks and let the train queues clear.
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Tyronebhoy Tyronebhoy wrote:

Should have remembered how steep the top deck in the Amsterdam Arena was from the 2000 game. Those stairs were a killer, but I am 23 years older and a few stone heavier. Only saw one drunken guy go arse over tit and land four rows down. In 2000 a guy celebrating our second goal fell from two rows back and landed right on top of me, could have broken my neck as well as his own. Being doing away games since 1999 but now seriously thinking about knocking it on head. Not really enjoyable anymore. We're attracting too many arseholes who can't handle the drink. And the football is sh*te.

Ireland games/football generally seem to be increasingly an interruption to days on the piss.
Linzark
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Linzark Linzark wrote:

Should have remembered how steep the top deck in the Amsterdam Arena was from the 2000 game. Those stairs were a killer, but I am 23 years older and a few stone heavier. Only saw one drunken guy go arse over tit and land four rows down. In 2000 a guy celebrating our second goal fell from two rows back and landed right on top of me, could have broken my neck as well as his own. Being doing away games since 1999 but now seriously thinking about knocking it on head. Not really enjoyable anymore. We're attracting too many arseholes who can't handle the drink. And the football is sh*te.

Ireland games/football generally seem to be increasingly an interruption to days on the piss.

These games will always attract arseholes though. You never this level of bother from other fans in places like Georgia, Armenia etc. Further the trip the better the away day. Essentially anything in western europe that is easy to get to will always attract a certain type
Danger here, OH NO
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by LeedsUnitedEire LeedsUnitedEire wrote:

€9 for 24 hours metro, bus and tram pass was best business I did all weekend.

You sir know the score....not to mention being a United fan Thumbs Up
Linzark
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

These games will always attract arseholes though. You never this level of bother from other fans in places like Georgia, Armenia etc. Further the trip the better the away day. Essentially anything in western europe that is easy to get to will always attract a certain type

Completely agree - drinking just gives these guys an excuse.
Linzark
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

100%, the best away days recently have all been the longer trips.

craiglen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craiglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 1:50pm
Fingers crossed for Kazakhstan so.
Fan's game record: 5 Caps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 140 km covered
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 2:20pm
Thought Amsterdam was a decent trip. Didn’t come anywhere near to being as bad as the Copenhagen 2017 game in terms of gobsh*tes. No pick-pocketing crisis or trouble with the locals/police. Accommodation and drink prices on par with Dublin.
Problems with taxi drivers just as likely to happen in Tbilisi as in Western Europe. 
There’s no problem at the stadiums in Eastern Europe because of the low volumes travelling. I think the issues at the turnstiles at games is down to the fact that local police and stadium stewards are no longer used to handling big away crowds. As far as I know away fans are banned for the big derbies in Amsterdam and Athens. 
Also some are being very harsh on first timers. Not all of them are Coke heads with no interest in the game. If I was 22 again, I’d certainly be picking Amsterdam over Baku. 

Edited by Fatnacho - 21 Nov 2023 at 2:38pm
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 3:43pm
The karaoke bars stopped letting people in far too early. Rubbish city. 
The dark side.. And the light
LeedsUnitedEire View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeedsUnitedEire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 5:40pm

Originally posted by LeedsUnitedEire LeedsUnitedEire wrote:

€9 for 24 hours metro, bus and tram pass was best business I did all weekend.

You sir know the score....not to mention being a United fan Thumbs Up

ALAW Clap
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

You's should use Uber lads. Fare is in the app before you get in the car. Way cheaper than a taxi as well

Was using uber all weekend but couldn't get one on Friday night back to my hotel so ended up in a taxi cosy me double what the users were costing me Ouch
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Young Crossan View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young Crossan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 6:26pm
any idea who the possible opposition could be in the nations league when the draw is on the 8nth of February 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

The karaoke bars stopped letting people in far too early. Rubbish city. 
We were in one and you sang a songConfused
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 7:41am
Was plenty of arseholes in Tblisis as well .

Short and sweet trip enjoyed it none the less , Roll on the nations league .
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 11:46am
Enjoyed a great weekend but something has to be done with the way fans have been treated by opposing fa’s and the lack of proper fai people who actually know what their doing 
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
LeedsUnitedEire View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeedsUnitedEire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Young Crossan Young Crossan wrote:

any idea who the possible opposition could be in the nations league when the draw is on the 8nth of February 

We’re POT 3 so one from each of:

POT 1- Austria, Czechia, England, Wales

POT 2- Finland, Ukraine, Iceland, Norway

POT 4- Georgia, Greece, Turkey, Kazakhstan

Potentially could be some great aways.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041>
  Share Topic