You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAI and FIFA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FAI and FIFA
    Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 2:03pm
With the head of the Danish FA having said today that the Nordic nations have discussed in recent months, he also made reference to the fact that Infantino is claiming 207 out of 211 nations have pledged support to him for re-election (Denmark confirmed they were one of the other 4). 
Now, I don't know for certain but given the numbers involved there is a fair chance that the FAI have pledged their support to him. How is that decision come to? Is there any recourse under the new structures in place for transparency on how these decisions are come to?

Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

With the head of the Danish FA having said today that the Nordic nations have discussed in recent months, he also made reference to the fact that Infantino is claiming 207 out of 211 nations have pledged support to him for re-election (Denmark confirmed they were one of the other 4). 
Now, I don't know for certain but given the numbers involved there is a fair chance that the FAI have pledged their support to him. How is that decision come to? Is there any recourse under the new structures in place for transparency on how these decisions are come to?

Excuse the ignorance but if he’s running unopposed what exactly would be the point in saying you’re against him. I understand it’d be good political statement but it’s still meaningless until there’s someone running to challenge him. Or am I incorrect? 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Excuse the ignorance but if he’s running unopposed what exactly would be the point in saying you’re against him. I understand it’d be good political statement but it’s still meaningless until there’s someone running to challenge him. Or am I incorrect? 

I could be wrong on this but I don't believe another candidate is precluded from going forward at this stage. With only 4 votes seemingly available it might seem futile though.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 2:25pm
Correction, I've just seen that the nominations closed last week. I think the point would still stand though about it being futile coming forward given the levels of pledged support.

Edited by Borussia - 23 Nov 2022 at 2:26pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 2:33pm

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I could be wrong on this but I don't believe another candidate is precluded from going forward at this stage. With only 4 votes seemingly available it might seem futile though.

Surely there’s someone out there, presumably in Europe looking to make a name for themselves by taking a stand, even if he is well beaten in the vote 
Bukowski View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 11:31pm
Fingers, rumour has it John Delaney is reworking his CV right this moment.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 12:07am
I seem to recall Sepp Blatter humiliating John Delaney by making public Delaney’s plea for Ireland to be the 33rd side at the 2010 World Cup. And yet the following year, Delaney and the FAI still voted for Blatter to be re-elected FIFA president.
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 12:11am
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

I seem to recall Sepp Blatter humiliating John Delaney by making public Delaney’s plea for Ireland to be the 33rd side at the 2010 World Cup. And yet the following year, Delaney and the FAI still voted for Blatter to be re-elected FIFA president.

I’m sure Delaney had 5 million reasons for giving the bold Sepp his vote.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Fingers, rumour has it John Delaney is reworking his CV right this moment.

Am sure uefa has our dear departed leaders portrait just in storage ready to be rehung
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 7:59am
Blaster humiliating Delaney would be one redeeming feature but I suspect
The man was beyond humiliation especially when you see his 50th birthday bash.
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Blaster humiliating Delaney would be one redeeming feature but I suspect
The man was beyond humiliation especially when you see his 50th birthday bash.

007 you could say Confused
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 4:14pm
Despite Blatter, Platini and Infantino all being European themselves, FIFA have long been at daggers drawn with UEFA, with CONMEBOL having recently rowed in on the latter's side over the former's proposal to stage the World Cup every two years (would clash with the Euro's and Copa America).

Ultimately, this comes down to European resentment over the fact that they generate by far the most money in the game, have most of the best teams and facilities etc, but don't feel they receive the credit they deserve from FIFA (eg World Cup qualifying places etc). While the European clubs sometimes forge an uneasy alliance with UEFA over FIFA demands on their players (World Club championships etc).

Of course, those three chancers mentioned above have long since calculated that with only 50-odd votes in FIFA, UEFA's Member Associations can always be outvoted by the 150-odd Members from the rest of the world, even after CONMEBOL's 10 Members are discounted.

While as we knoiw, many of those ROW Members can easily be, er, "influenced" to vote in the way which certain vested interests require.

The whole system is inherently and probably irredeemably corrupt, but then again, we always knew that.

And to get back to the OP's point, with Infantino already having a clear majority of Member Association votes in his back pocket, no other MA is going to put forward their own candidate for an election which they must inevitably lose, sjnce that would see their card marked by Infantino and bring down reprisals etc.

I can't help thinking President Infantino must have learnt his trade from President Xi of China.

Or do I mean the other way round?

Edited by Territorial - 24 Nov 2022 at 4:19pm
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Despite Blatter, Platini and Infantino all being European themselves, FIFA have long been at daggers drawn with UEFA, with CONMEBOL having recently rowed in on the latter's side over the former's proposal to stage the World Cup every two years (would clash with the Euro's and Copa America).

Ultimately, this comes down to European resentment over the fact that they generate by far the most money in the game, have most of the best teams and facilities etc, but don't feel they receive the credit they deserve from FIFA (eg World Cup qualifying places etc). While the European clubs sometimes forge an uneasy alliance with UEFA over FIFA demands on their players (World Club championships etc).

Of course, those three chancers mentioned above have long since calculated that with only 50-odd votes in FIFA, UEFA's Member Associations can always be outvoted by the 150-odd Members from the rest of the world, even after CONMEBOL's 10 Members are discounted.

While as we knoiw, many of those ROW Members can easily be, er, "influenced" to vote in the way which certain vested interests require.

The whole system is inherently and probably irredeemably corrupt, but then again, we always knew that.

And to get back to the OP's point, with Infantino already having a clear majority of Member Association votes in his back pocket, no other MA is going to put forward their own candidate for an election which they must inevitably lose, sjnce that would see their card marked by Infantino and bring down reprisals etc.

I can't help thinking President Infantino must have learnt his trade from President Xi of China.

The IFA suits have global football all stitched up Terry to keep the Fenians down wha LOL Only joking, or half joking, with some of the feedback you attract on here. Joking aside, that's a decent summary.

Edited by dangere_here - 24 Nov 2022 at 4:33pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 4:51pm
I'm surprised UEFA and CONMEBOL haven't pulled the trigger before now to be honest. They hold the cards, without them FIFA is just a mish mash of second rate sides. If those two federations broke away it's inevitable that the rest would eventually have to go with them to survive, and FIFA would collapse. 

That would allow the two stronger confederations to take control of international football and allow the World Cup to be properly reformed, either back to a 32 team tournament with greater European and South American involvement than there is currently or by keeping the new 48 team format but having 20 to 24 European teams and 8 or 9 South American teams to keep the standards up, rather than the mess of mismatched qualifiers we're likely to see in 2026 as things stand.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'm surprised UEFA and CONMEBOL haven't pulled the trigger before now to be honest. They hold the cards, without them FIFA is just a mish mash of second rate sides. If those two federations broke away it's inevitable that the rest would eventually have to go with them to survive, and FIFA would collapse. 

That would allow the two stronger confederations to take control of international football and allow the World Cup to be properly reformed, either back to a 32 team tournament with greater European and South American involvement than there is currently or by keeping the new 48 team format but having 20 to 24 European teams and 8 or 9 South American teams to keep the standards up, rather than the mess of mismatched qualifiers we're likely to see in 2026 as things stand.
Nobody wants to see a Euros every second year. World Cup is about performances like Japan/Saudis/Canada, USA and Morocco were impressive so far too. Between Euro Championships, European Qualifiers, European nations League, who needs more Ireland V Wales/Denmark etc.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Nobody wants to see a Euros every second year. World Cup is about performances like Japan/Saudis/Canada, USA and Morocco were impressive so far too. Between Euro Championships, European Qualifiers, European nations League, who needs more Ireland V Wales/Denmark etc.

Plenty of room for that alongside improving the standards with additional European and South American teams also. It's a nonsense that the likes of Italy can have a bad 90 minutes at the wrong moment in qualification and then don't go to the World Cup.

On the other hand Costa Rica qualified as the fourth ranked Concacaf team and were outclassed last night. At the next world cup there will be six automatic Concacaf spots plus a playoff spot. So, using the 2022 qualifiers as an example, Jamaica, who finished 14 points behind Costa Rica in qualifying, would also qualify automatically. Africa - 0 wins and 1 goal from five teams in the first round of group games - getting four additional automatic spots and a playoff spot next time around. As things stand, 2026 is going to be a disaster in terms of mismatched contests.

Edited by You Tell Me - 24 Nov 2022 at 5:43pm
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Spot on, excellent summary. 

Will be interesting to see what happens if the South American teams join the Nations League as Boniek suggested they would do last year. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 12:29am

You'd think, but it's getting more and more difficult, since it all comes down to money. And while Europe football generates more money than everywhere else, it's external money which is becoming more and more influential.

That is, for 2022, Qatar was able to spend $220 billion dollars to host this time. Two. Hundred. And. Twenty. Billion. Dollars.

While their regional political enemy Saudi Arabia is also flexing its muscle globally. For example, a biennial World Cup was a Saudi proposal and now they're talking of bidding for 2030! That's right, another Middle East Finals in November, a mere 8 years/2 cycles after this one.

I mean, with the way they're buying Boxing, F1, Golf etc, then it's clear that eg buying Newcastle was small change to them.

All of which is why I'm not so sure that the Rest of the World would fall in behind UEFA and CONMEBOL should those two threaten to break away.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic