You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Ireland Manager - Criteria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 44>
Poll Question: Which category below will the new manager likely come from?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [7.50%]
67 [55.83%]
2 [1.67%]
42 [35.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

We are off on a tangent here but football "could" generate returns through academies feeding bigger clubs with growing crowds in bigger stadia etc. That's the case that should be made for more funding, not asking why horse racing gets money. 

have I hit a nerve lol?

The nerve being I want to see football grow in Ireland. 
Sponsored Links

DC96 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 12:28am
Not that I'd want to see it at all as it'd be a massive regression imo from what we're trying to build, but Gary Monk is someone who's style would fit some of our prior managers. And by style I mean absolutely sh*t to watch but solid.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 11:26am
Originally posted by DC96 DC96 wrote:

Not that I'd want to see it at all as it'd be a massive regression imo from what we're trying to build, but Gary Monk is someone who's style would fit some of our prior managers. And by style I mean absolutely sh*t to watch but solid.

Unless we were to rehire Stan, nothing is a regression.

Gary Monk has numerous seasons of high level experience. 

Kenny has zero.

Our squad needs a defensive minded coach who will organise the side and make us hard to beat again. Basically, clean up the mess made by the Kennians.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 11:37am

Any cursory glance at our squad will show the following

Decent keepers
Good centre backs
Reasonable full backs
Workmanlike albeit very limited midfield 
No creative midfielder
Pacey forwards who are very limited with no regular goalscorer 

Any manager worth his salt would make us hard to beat and strong at set pieces. 

We are massively understrength in the top third of the pitch

Even a John Sheridan style number 8, and a
Cascarino,  Doyle or even a Long at 9 would make such difference 

Until that improves, we need to play to our strengths 

Implementat an effective style. Not enforce a vision with no practical outcome.

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Decent keepers
Good centre backs
Reasonable full backs
No creative midfielder

Couldn't agree more. Watching Australia there beating Tunisia showed the template we should work towards. Organised, hard working and physical. They are sitting now after picking up a win at the world cup whilst we are at home praising ourselves for playing the 'right way'. I know which one I would rather have. 

Edited by Stickittotheman - 26 Nov 2022 at 12:22pm
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Decent keepers
Good centre backs
Reasonable full backs
No creative midfielder

Couldn't agree more. Watching Australia there beating Tunisia showed the template we should work towards. Organised, hard working and physical. They are sitting now after picking up a win at the world cup whilst we are at home praising ourselves for playing the 'right way'. I know which one I would rather have. 

Australia had an easy qualifying route, all they had to do was finish above Oman, China and Vietnam to guarantee a play off! Stop comparing us to f**king teams who only qualify due to easy qualifying routes.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 1:19pm
The very basics are to get organised and hard to beat and take it from there.

We are too easy to beat.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 2:06pm
Day 6 ; 
Team wins a match at World Cup- see this is what we should be doing. 
Rinse and repeat and ignore everything outside of the 90minutes 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 2:40pm
Nobody's pretending Australia would be anywhere near the World Cup if they had to come through our qualifying route, but they can still absolutely be used as an example of how to set up a team to get the best out of what they have available. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Nobody's pretending Australia would be anywhere near the World Cup if they had to come through our qualifying route, but they can still absolutely be used as an example of how to set up a team to get the best out of what they have available. 
It’s every single team that wins and most have ignored players, qualifying groups, finances etc etc 
We’ve had Saudis, Canada, Australia, USA, Iran & Japan all referenced this week. It’s lads assuming a team is sh*te, knowing nothing about them then saying we should be doing what they are. 
I dunno if it’s lads knowingly debasing themselves to have a pop at Stephen Kenny or they’re just idiots 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

It’s every single team that wins and most have ignored players, qualifying groups, finances etc etc 
We’ve had Saudis, Canada, Australia, USA, Iran & Japan all referenced this week. It’s lads assuming a team is sh*te, knowing nothing about them then saying we should be doing what they are. 
I dunno if it’s lads knowingly debasing themselves to have a pop at Stephen Kenny or they’re just idiots 

Idiots mate.
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Idiots mate.
The above posters, as usual, forensic analysis. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Decent keepers
Good centre backs
Reasonable full backs
No creative midfielder

Australia had an easy qualifying route, all they had to do was finish above Oman, China and Vietnam to guarantee a play off! Stop comparing us to f**king teams who only qualify due to easy qualifying routes.

Why don't you relax yourself down before getting on your high horse. The thing is they showed today that it is very possible playing an organised brand of football to pick up wins against decent enough opposition. They also defeated Peru in the inter continental play off albeit on penalties. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 5:42pm

How do you know I know nothing about the Australian team?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 5:47pm

Well I suppose in all probability there has to be one thing you know about I suppose. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Well I suppose in all probability there has to be one thing you know about I suppose. 

Lots of sark on here at the minute. It is an opinion forum not an echo chamber. 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 6:25pm

Well done for beating the mighty Tunisia 1-0. When they played France, they were hopelessly out of their depth, certainly not much organisation on display. Is that what you want us to be on the world stage? 

We're not playing the right way or the wrong way. We're in transition, and we have to face proper teams with world class players to get to tournaments. We don't have the luxury of almost guaranteed qualification every 4 years facing the Oman's and the Bangladesh's and the Solomon Islands of the world game, during a qualifying campaign. 
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Well done for beating the mighty Tunisia 1-0. When they played France, they were hopelessly out of their depth, certainly not much organisation on display. Is that what you want us to be on the world stage? 

We're not playing the right way or the wrong way. We're in transition, and we have to face proper teams with world class players to get to tournaments. We don't have the luxury of almost guaranteed qualification every 4 years facing the Oman's and the Bangladesh's and the Solomon Islands of the world game, during a qualifying campaign. 
"We are in transition"...the most asinine, meaningless, politician speak to provide cover for SK's abject failure as Irish manager. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 44>
  Share Topic