You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Ireland Manager - Criteria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 44>
Poll Question: Which category below will the new manager likely come from?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [7.50%]
67 [55.83%]
2 [1.67%]
42 [35.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Watching Australia there beating Tunisia showed the template we should work towards. Organised, hard working and physical. They are sitting now after picking up a win at the world cup whilst we are at home praising ourselves for playing the 'right way'. I know which one I would rather have. 

Well done for beating the mighty Tunisia 1-0. When they played France, they were hopelessly out of their depth, certainly not much organisation on display. Is that what you want us to be on the world stage? 

We're not playing the right way or the wrong way. We're in transition, and we have to face proper teams with world class players to get to tournaments. We don't have the luxury of almost guaranteed qualification every 4 years facing the Oman's and the Bangladesh's and the Solomon Islands of the world game, during a qualifying campaign. 

France could go on to win the world cup they are a serious outfit. No Shane in them hammering an average team which Australia are. For me we have a strong defence and good goalie. A Workmanlike midfield and limited quality upfront. We have physical players like Duffy, Egan, Collins. Big threats at set pieces as we continually see. Cullen and Molumby offer a determined and hard working duo whilst Alan Browne is a real threat for us in a goalscoring sense. A hard worker too. If we got ourselves well organised and difficult to beat prioritising set pieces we would not be a bad side. Those are out strengths not a passing game. We have the worst squad in a long time but don't play to their strengths. It's.madness.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 8:16pm
Herve Renard, the Saudi Arabia manager would be a great left field choice. Loads of international management pedigree, 2 African nations Cups on tye CV. Might want a new challenge after the WC. (Probably can't afford him)

Edited by zizu Kilbane - 26 Nov 2022 at 8:19pm
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 8:57pm

France could go on to win the world cup they are a serious outfit. No Shane in them hammering an average team which Australia are. For me we have a strong defence and good goalie. A Workmanlike midfield and limited quality upfront. We have physical players like Duffy, Egan, Collins. Big threats at set pieces as we continually see. Cullen and Molumby offer a determined and hard working duo whilst Alan Browne is a real threat for us in a goalscoring sense. A hard worker too. If we got ourselves well organised and difficult to beat prioritising set pieces we would not be a bad side. Those are out strengths not a passing game. We have the worst squad in a long time but don't play to their strengths. It's madness.

Organised and difficult to beat doesn't get us anywhere anymore, hasn't in years. If you want to qualify for tournaments, you have to want to win games. Every time we have qualified for a tournament, it's been built on at least one big win, which have been very few and far between in the past 20 years. 

Sitting there to park the bus and get a point, belt it 50 yards away in the direction we're playing only for it to come back at us like a boomerang, then relying on a Duffy setpiece and clinging on to it for dear life is hopelessly outdated and unsuccessful in this day and age. 
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 9:05pm
Love the false dichotomy posed by SK supporters...either pointless possession or hopeless hoofball. 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 9:06pm

France could go on to win the world cup they are a serious outfit. No Shane in them hammering an average team which Australia are. For me we have a strong defence and good goalie. A Workmanlike midfield and limited quality upfront. We have physical players like Duffy, Egan, Collins. Big threats at set pieces as we continually see. Cullen and Molumby offer a determined and hard working duo whilst Alan Browne is a real threat for us in a goalscoring sense. A hard worker too. If we got ourselves well organised and difficult to beat prioritising set pieces we would not be a bad side. Those are out strengths not a passing game. We have the worst squad in a long time but don't play to their strengths. It's madness.

Organised and difficult to beat doesn't get us anywhere anymore, hasn't in years. If you want to qualify for tournaments, you have to want to win games. Every time we have qualified for a tournament, it's been built on at least one big win, which have been very few and far between in the past 20 years. 

Sitting there to park the bus and get a point, belt it 50 yards away in the direction we're playing only for it to come back at us like a boomerang, then relying on a Duffy setpiece and clinging on to it for dear life is hopelessly outdated and unsuccessful in this day and age. 

3 campaigns playing a different style has seen us with the worst win percentage record from an Ireland manager in history. 8 wins from 31 games- Andorra, Malta, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan, Scotland, Armenia, Lithuania and Qatar. That's the height of our victories under Kenny. And you want to talk about what does not work in this day and age. Trying to play an expansive possession based game with average players, little creativity and few striking options is hardly yielding much success for us is it. In fact it has been an abject disaster.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 9:09pm
Just watched the Argentina Mexico game. Mexico tried to keep it tight and not concede. Their only hope was a set piece. It was awful to watch, and living in LA I was rooting for them, but I never for a second felt like they would get a goal.
Can we go back to playing this way?
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Just watched the Argentina Mexico game. Mexico tried to keep it tight and not concede. Their only hope was a set piece. It was awful to watch, and living in LA I was rooting for them, but I never for a second felt like they would get a goal.

Against Argentina. Yes. In general I wouldn't be advocating a style as negative.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 9:18pm

Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Against Argentina. Yes. In general I wouldn't be advocating a style as negative.
Could you imagine if we tried to pass or way through Argentina? Mexico are a good team, aggressive with high energy. I think they will get to last 16.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 9:38pm

3 campaigns playing a different style has seen us with the worst win percentage record from an Ireland manager in history. 8 wins from 31 games- Andorra, Malta, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan, Scotland, Armenia, Lithuania and Qatar. That's the height of our victories under Kenny. And you want to talk about what does not work in this day and age. Trying to play an expansive possession based game with average players, little creativity and few striking options is hardly yielding much success for us is it. In fact it has been an abject disaster.

All those wins have come in the past 18 months. Some of them by scoring 3 or 4 goals, a life of luxury compared to results before Kenny, of mainly turgid scoreless draws or even more adventurous 1-1 scorelines, with about 2 shots on target per 90 minutes, if that. Which of course, didn't qualify us for anything either. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 9:46pm

All those wins have come in the past 18 months. Some of them by scoring 3 or 4 goals, a life of luxury compared to results before Kenny, of mainly turgid scoreless draws or even more adventurous 1-1 scorelines, with about 2 shots on target per 90 minutes, if that. Which of course, didn't qualify us for anything either. 
And don't forget our 66% win rate! 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 10:43pm
Even Australia's Celtic bench warmer Aaron Mooy is miles better than anything we have in midfield. Its a hard statement to get your head around but its absolutely the case. He looks an excellent player who would make us better in an instant. Neat and tidy yet technically capable. It looks so easy.
I love beer gardens
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 11:13pm
I always feel uneasy when I agree with more or less everything Planning says.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 2:01pm
  Very simple as each team should play to their strengths , under Kenny it's Tippy Tappy in our own 18 yard box and somehow hope to score from there . Embarrassed
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Very simple as each team should play to their strengths , under Kenny it's Tippy Tappy in our own 18 yard box and somehow hope to score from there . Embarrassed

You’ve a real blind spot when it comes to Kenny. We have many issues but you’ve chosen to highlight the lack of goals? 
We have scored some of the best goals I’ve ever seen Ireland score under Kenny. The end of season FAI goal of the season montages are no longer a collection of deflections, Shane Duffy headers and OGs. 
El Puto Amo
patriotic_spunk View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patriotic_spunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 3:32pm
That's the exact problem with Kenny. We have to rely on scoring screamers to get the ball in the net, rather than actually consistently creating good chances
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

You’ve a real blind spot when it comes to Kenny. We have many issues but you’ve chosen to highlight the lack of goals? 
We have scored some of the best goals I’ve ever seen Ireland score under Kenny. The end of season FAI goal of the season montages are no longer a collection of deflections, Shane Duffy headers and OGs. 
The only people with a Kenny blind spot are those who think the guy is doing a good job managing Irekand. 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 5:54pm

I’ve seen nothing posted from you on this forum to suggest you should be entertained
El Puto Amo
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I’ve seen nothing posted from you on this forum to suggest you should be entertained
As usual from you ad hominem, no argument and no point. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 44>
  Share Topic