You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Ireland Manager - Criteria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 44>
Poll Question: Which category below will the new manager likely come from?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [7.50%]
67 [55.83%]
2 [1.67%]
42 [35.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

A new coach could come in with a view to taking on the managers job when the managerial role becomes vacant

Why would you tarnish your introductory good will by being connected to what is very likely going to be a terrible qualifying campaign?

The u-21 Euros are finished in July, Carsley, who seems to be the manager in waiting, will be ready for us any time after that.
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

A new coach could come in with a view to taking on the managers job when the managerial role becomes vacant

Why would you tarnish your introductory good will by being connected to what is very likely going to be a terrible qualifying campaign?

The u-21 Euros are finished in July, Carsley, who seems to be the manager in waiting, will be ready for us any time after that.

By what metric?
We're 3rd seeds and so coming 3rd would hardly be terrible?
I agree we're not guaranteed to get 3rd but I'd be hopeful we can.

Seems you are suggesting getting wolloped by the Dutch and French would be a disaster.
Most would consider it to be expected. 
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

By what metric?

Seems you are suggesting getting wolloped by the Dutch and French would be a disaster.
We'll come 4th I think. Who cares though as long as we get a playoff, anything can happen in a playoff 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 4:38pm
For me, I would expect zero points from the 4 toughest matches.
Anything more, with our squad as it is, would be a serious upset for the opponents.

Bigger situation would be the nature of the defeats which will give insight as to how healthy the team and manager are.
An O'Neill-esque Danish capitulation would likely spell the end for Kenny.  And should, as it gives the strong impression the dressing room has been lost.
Whereas Portugal 2-1 losses would be far less of a concern.

And more turged displays versus the other teams (like in that last window) would also be bad news for the manager.

To be honest, it's the four other matches NOT against France and Holland where most of our questions will be answered.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 4:41pm

Yet it hasn’t tarnished any coaches reputations up to now Confused
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 4:41pm

We shouldn't be turning up to lose to anyone at home. Two points minimum from the two home games against France and Netherlands should be the target. 

We're not likely to get anything in the two away games against those two. But I wouldn't be surprised if either are happy enough with a point in Dublin safe in the knowledge they'll take us out handily over the course of the group anyway. This isn't like the last campaign where Portugal and Serbia were competing against each other also, there's two automatic qualification places so France and Netherlands can be relaxed enough about the odd away draw in this group.

After that 4 from 6 against Greece and 6 from 6 against Gibraltar would be the target. Nobody is expecting top 2 here but we have to aim for more than to just write off the four games against France and Netherlands. 12 points should be the target. That won't get us anywhere beyond third, but would at least show we're moving in the right direction and are reasonably set for the playoffs if we get in to them.

Edited by You Tell Me - 24 Jan 2023 at 5:02pm
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 4:43pm

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Barry going to turn down the offer.

Bad look for Kenny to run back to a fella who left him high and dry.

Objectively, who in their right mind is going to want to associate themselves with the mess this group is almost guaranteed to be? There's no positives to be gained for a prospective coach. He'll end up getting Vinny Perth to do it, or someone of that calibre.

A young ambitious coach who backs themselves to make a difference. 
If we over-perform than there are loads of possible positives for a young coach. 

You can back yourself to make a difference and understand that a Stephen Kenny managed Ireland team aren't laying a finger on France or Netherlands.

Seeing as he has nobody in place yet as he is still running around after Barry, any new appointment is going to have minimal time to get up to speed.

So you're going to be out of a job in less than a years time, possibly even sooner, with a few hammerings on the CV to boot.

Its cloud cuckoo land stuff to pretend that any half decent coach would be interested.

Some of the stuff posted on here is so stupid. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

By what metric?

By not qualifying?  LOL

For over 2 years now we were told that the target for Kenny was qualifying for Euro 2024. Literally as we sat and endured the mostly awful rubbish of the last two years, it was because we were building for Euro 2024 where it was all just going to magically come together somehow. Did you forget about that?

Unfortunately for Kenny, you don't get to lose as much as he did and not have it have consequences, which has led him into a situation where we are in a nigh impossible group, and all of a sudden he needs to actually try to win some games because qualifying for Euro 2024 was supposedly the target of his entire reign.

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 6:05pm

By not qualifying?  LOL

For over 2 years now we were told that the target for Kenny was qualifying for Euro 2024. Literally as we sat and endured the mostly awful rubbish of the last two years, it was because we were building for Euro 2024 where it was all just going to magically come together somehow. Did you forget about that?

Unfortunately for Kenny, you don't get to lose as much as he did and not have it have consequences, which has led him into a situation where we are in a nigh impossible group, and all of a sudden he needs to actually try to win some games because qualifying for Euro 2024 was supposedly the target of his entire reign.

We could get third and not qualify by a tiny margin, having played excellently against those top opponents, and you'd categorise that as terrible?
I don't believe we will but regardless, that's not how I'll be judging it.
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 6:10pm
The problem is we could play brilliantly against France and Netherlands but then f**k up against the minnows, think 3-0 vrs Scotland or good performance vrs Portugal and then results like Luxembourg. No consistency in performance to suggest any game is a given against any opposition last few years. 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:46pm
tbf none of those teams had to play against Evan Ferguson LOL
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Jim Goodwin if he'd take it.

Was just about to to post this.

Jim Goodwin or Michael O'Neill

I think Goodwin wouldn't touch it unfortunately. He's got a budding career going for him, he'd be mad to throw it away to come manage us.

LOL
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I think Goodwin wouldn't touch it unfortunately. He's got a budding career going for him, he'd be mad to throw it away to come manage us.

LOL
LOLLOLClapClap
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL
LOLLOLClapClap

LOLLOL

Relegated tonight 

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:43pm
Nobody was keeping Dundee United up but yeah.. I may have been a bit off the mark with that oneLOL His managerial career has gone down the toilet scarily quick 
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:50pm
 Goodwin will be lucky to manage at a good level again , I fear.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

He had a good start at Dundee United as well, but 4 straight losses now have condemned them. He might get another job in the second tier.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:53pm

Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

He had a good start at Dundee United as well, but 4 straight losses now have condemned them. He might get another job in the second tier.

His last game at Aberdeen was a defeat against a part time outfit who train twice a week!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 44>
  Share Topic