You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Ireland Manager - Criteria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 44>
Poll Question: Which category below will the new manager likely come from?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [7.50%]
67 [55.83%]
2 [1.67%]
42 [35.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 4:34am
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

The only people with a Kenny blind spot are those who think the guy is doing a good job managing Ireland. 
Absolutely. I wouldn’t worry about it too much though. While it is frustrating looking at someone so out of his depth as manager of Ireland he is surely in his final few games as manager at this stage. He will be gone soon enough at rightly so with such an abysmal record.
The only way is up
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 9:09am
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

The only people with a Kenny blind spot are those who think the guy is doing a good job managing Ireland. 
Absolutely. I wouldn’t worry about it too much though. While it is frustrating looking at someone so out of his depth as manager of Ireland he is surely in his final few games as manager at this stage. He will be gone soon enough at rightly so with such an abysmal record.

Surely you would want Ireland to go and win their first few games and prove you wrong.   Sounds like you are looking forward to Ireland allowing so you can be finally rid of Kenny.  Bizarre thinking for a fan. 
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 10:32am
Not really. I think he has been there long enough, has been given more than enough time but we have regressed far too much and seem to be going nowhere. From what I have seen..bar a one off win over Scotland he seems to be completely out of his depth. I would love to think that he can turn it around get us winning important matches and performing well but I can’t see it happening. Time for someone else to be given a shot. 

Edited by grannyrule - 28 Nov 2022 at 10:34am
The only way is up
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 10:41am
We have regressed from finishing third in a qualifying campaign to finishing third.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 12:42pm

Not really. I think he has been there long enough, has been given more than enough time but we have regressed far too much and seem to be going nowhere. From what I have seen..bar a one off win over Scotland he seems to be completely out of his depth. I would love to think that he can turn it around get us winning important matches and performing well but I can’t see it happening. Time for someone else to be given a shot. 

He has had one qualifying campaign where we finished in line with our seeding. To put that in perspective, we have qualified for 2 out of the last 10 major competitions. Considering the average of supposedly "superior" managers who have gone before is 1 qualification for every 5 campaigns, how can finishing par for course in his first be considered a sackable offence for Kenny?

There is absolutely no reason he shouldn't be given a second qualification campaign. We have seen massive improvements in our performance against better sides during his tenure. There have been no hammerings like Germany, Wales, or Denmark, and we have actually looked competitive against far superior teams.

Where we need to improve is in our performance against weaker sides, no one disputes this. If Kenny cannot improve that in the upcoming campaign, then by all means we should look elsewhere at the end of it.
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 12:57pm
What's the definition of a weaker side in this group though? Where do Greece stand - proof that we can now beat weaker sides if we beat them, but not to be classed as a weaker side if we don't?

Which will no doubt lead to some posters telling us that two wins against Gibraltar is all we should hope to expect from this group and anything after that is a bonus, or other similar nonsense.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Surely you would want Ireland to go and win their first few games and prove you wrong.   Sounds like you are looking forward to Ireland allowing so you can be finally rid of Kenny.  Bizarre thinking for a fan. 
This pathetic old chestnut. Schoolyard stuff. Did your teacher not tell you to proof read your copy? 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:00pm
He just confirmed that he wants Ireland to lose so he can be rid of Kenny.  What is schoolyard about that. I asked a question and he confirmed his answer.  We now have a situation where we have some fans who hate Kenny so much they want Ireland to lose. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

What's the definition of a weaker side in this group though? Where do Greece stand - proof that we can now beat weaker sides if we beat them, but not to be classed as a weaker side if we don't?

Which will no doubt lead to some posters telling us that two wins against Gibraltar is all we should hope to expect from this group and anything after that is a bonus, or other similar nonsense.

Greece are a side roughly equal to ourselves. 4 points against them would be more than acceptable, all 6 would be extremely good.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:07pm
It's very common for supporters to feel that with failing managers nearing the end of their time in charge to be fair. Short term pain for long term gain and all that. Especially in a group where we are no-hopers anyway, what difference is a lucky or plucky away point in Athens or Amsterdam or wherever going to make in the long run anyway?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Greece are a side roughly equal to ourselves. 4 points against them would be more than acceptable, all 6 would be extremely good.

So, in terms of your original requirement that we improve our record against weaker teams in this group, Gibraltar are the only side in the group that this can be demonstrated against.

Edited by You Tell Me - 28 Nov 2022 at 1:09pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:19pm

So, in terms of your original requirement that we improve our record against weaker teams in this group, Gibraltar are the only side in the group that this can be demonstrated against.

Again, complete misrepresentation of what was said. Greece are included in sides equal to/weaker than us that we need to improve against. I've even given you a benchmark (4 points) that I believe would represent an acceptable outcome. So rather than be obtuse, why don't you lay down some objective criteria yourself as to what would be acceptable, so we can see just how detached from reality your expectations are?
We're decent enough..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:38pm

He just confirmed that he wants Ireland to lose so he can be rid of Kenny.  What is schoolyard about that. I asked a question and he confirmed his answer.  We now have a situation where we have some fans who hate Kenny so much they want Ireland to lose. 
Where did he say he hopes Ireland lose? 
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:46pm

You're inventing things there Baldrick. Where was it said that I want to see Ireland lose?Confused Things aren't working out for Kenny and everyone sane sees that. We might as well cut our losses now and give someone else a chance. I didn't mind him managing the U21s but senior level is a step well above his capabilities.

Edited by grannyrule - 28 Nov 2022 at 1:50pm
The only way is up
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:52pm

He has had one qualifying campaign where we finished in line with our seeding. To put that in perspective, we have qualified for 2 out of the last 10 major competitions. Considering the average of supposedly "superior" managers who have gone before is 1 qualification for every 5 campaigns, how can finishing par for course in his first be considered a sackable offence for Kenny?

There is absolutely no reason he shouldn't be given a second qualification campaign. We have seen massive improvements in our performance against better sides during his tenure. There have been no hammerings like Germany, Wales, or Denmark, and we have actually looked competitive against far superior teams.

Where we need to improve is in our performance against weaker sides, no one disputes this. If Kenny cannot improve that in the upcoming campaign, then by all means we should look elsewhere at the end of it.

I think Kenny has the right ideas and probably 10 or so years ago when we had Keane, Hoolahan, Dunne, Given, Doyle, McGeady and Duff his style of play would likely have had success. Maybe even the 2016 team as well. But for me at this minute we have a bunch of honest pros of average ability and a few youngsters of promise. Therefore it makes sense to cut our cloth. No one denies this is the weakest group of players in a long time. Trying to play a fluid passing style with such limited players is madness. It maybe doesn't matter in regards the Euro 2024 group as that is an nightmare draw no one could make hay out of. But if by an outside chance we get a play off would anyone trust Kenny to get us through it. I know I wouldn't.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 3:03pm

Bump.  Confirm your answer.  Do you hope Ireland start with a win against France.  
AKA pedantic kunt
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 3:05pm

John Hughes was sacked my Dunfermline in May.

It would be considered insane to offer him a job,  he was sacked by Dunfermline!!!

But.........
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

John Hughes was sacked my Dunfermline in May.

It would be considered insane to offer him a job,  he was sacked by Dunfermline!!!

But.........
What? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 44>
  Share Topic