You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Ireland Manager - Criteria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 44>
Poll Question: Which category below will the new manager likely come from?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [7.50%]
67 [55.83%]
2 [1.67%]
42 [35.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Huge % want an up and coming coach with an Irish connection (e.g. Stephen Bradley), which is exactly what Kenny was when hired, and the same people want Kenny out LOL

Who is the 'huge' percentage?

There should never be a LOI manager in the job again, unless in 20 years on the back of reform it has improved beyond league 2/conference level, any of them would be miles out of their depth. 

61% of the poll is a huge % LOL

Without context maybe. Its 24 people.
Sponsored Links

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Ideally I’d like someone who plays an outdated style of football, has managed small to medium sized clubs in England and has absolutely no clue whatsoever about our domestic league or won a trophy in management.

As an added bonus, I’d prefer someone to prioritize players who have 3 senior club appearances over players with 60+ international caps. Someone who won’t play players over 30 years of age.

Definitely crucial for the manager to have a clue about our domestic leagues what with all the call ups that we see from it.LOL

Even a LOI manager won't pick those players. If the next manager has never heard of St Pat's it won't make a jot of difference in his ability to manage the senior team.

And a trophy LOL. Get John Caulfield on the buzzer, he got himself a few trophies too. LOLLOL
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 9:32pm
What we need is a manager with a track record of overachieving with a committed but limited group of players. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 9:36pm
Jim Goodwin being mentioned widely on this thread, jaysus 

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Meaning? Done well in his 3 club jobs so far.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Ah me bollix. So far hes done a decent job at St Mirren. Thats about it. Aberdeen should be in or around 3rd every year in the SPL. Prob be fighting with Hearts for that this year. Im not suggesting he might not be a good manager but the logic of Kenny OMG no but what you might call a middle of the road SPL manager Yes please does not make sense to me. If were dumping Kenny due to what some people might say not a big enough CV i would want a bigger name than Goodwin 
I love beer gardens
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 9:56pm

Do we really want rid of Kenny who’s highest achievement in Britain is getting a team to the Scottish cup final to replace him with something similar?
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:01pm

Preferably not a manager that gets his team relegated from a Scottish league.

Do we really want rid of Kenny who’s highest achievement in Britain is getting a team to the Scottish cup final to replace him with something similar?
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ah me bollix. So far hes done a decent job at St Mirren. Thats about it. Aberdeen should be in or around 3rd every year in the SPL. Prob be fighting with Hearts for that this year. Im not suggesting he might not be a good manager but the logic of Kenny OMG no but what you might call a middle of the road SPL manager Yes please does not make sense to me. If were dumping Kenny due to what some people might say not a big enough CV i would want a bigger name than Goodwin 
I understand that but obviously we have financial constraints, do we really have the money to attract a big name? 

Goodwin kept Alloa up in the 2nd tier despite all the players being part time. We could do with somebody that has even a bit of a track record for overachieving with limited resources.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:15pm
Jim Goodwin shouldn't be within an asses roar of the Irish Senior job. That would just be an appointment akin to Stephen Kenny.
The only way is up
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:16pm
FFS we’re talking about Alloa now 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Michael O'Neill if people are happy to sacrifice football quality completely in favour of organisation that brings improved results. His style suits international football where there's limited time with the players, but it would be tough stuff to watch (though no tougher than what we're currently being subjected to). Hughton would bring a similar style but is probably past it at this stage.
That misunderstands O'Neill.

At heart he's a pragmatist. Meaning that for his first four years with NI, when all our best players were defenders (4 or 5 PL-standard CB's alone), his teams were defensive. Also had Chris Brunt to take set pieces, and Kyle Lafferty on a run of form to provide a target man up front.

But after the 2016 Euro's a lot of the old guard were in decline, or even retired, while the best new young players coming through were more attack-minded, midfielders etc. As a result, he switched to a more attacking, possession-based style.

This reached its peak in 2019 at home to Germany, where Lowe admitted that NI had completely outplayed Germany in the first half, such that he had to switch his tactics and personnel at H-T to try to deal with it. And even then, after Germany got a fortunate goal early in the second half, they were hanging on to their lead, until Gnabry got a second from a breakaway, 5 mins from the end.

I hadn't believed it possible to be so proud after a 2-0 home defeat as that evening, and Michael was the architect.

I suspect that right now, ROI need someone to organise them like MO'N did for NI  in 2013, but in  any case it's hypotheteical, since the NI job is there for the taking for Michael, and I can't see any way he'd turn it down for ROI.
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:49pm
It's going to be Christ f'n Houghton I know it, and it'll be the same bunch of awful players just playing as conservative as possible trying to hold teams to draws and lashing long balls up the pitch. We still wont qualify and it will be even worse to watch. 
Our players can't trap a ball or cross a ball or pass it forward most of the time, there's just no talent. And none coming through that can do anything at this level. 
Remember USA used to come to Lansdowne for friendlies every now and again and we'd usually look a class apart. Last time even I think we put 4 past them, Robbie Brady scored. They looked like they were from a different planet tonight and we're just not getting close to that level in my lifetime in my opinion.
Unless we get ridiculously lucky and get a couple of top class players just by chance. 
It's hopeless. 

Edited by GaretFarellysNutSack - 21 Nov 2022 at 10:50pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

It's going to be Christ f'n Houghton I know it, and it'll be the same bunch of awful players just playing as conservative as possible trying to hold teams to draws and lashing long balls up the pitch. We still wont qualify and it will be even worse to watch. 
Our players can't trap a ball or cross a ball or pass it forward most of the time, there's just no talent. And none coming through that can do anything at this level. 
Remember USA used to come to Lansdowne for friendlies every now and again and we'd usually look a class apart. Last time even I think we put 4 past them, Robbie Brady scored. They looked like they were from a different planet tonight and we're just not getting close to that level in my lifetime in my opinion.
Unless we get ridiculously lucky and get a couple of top class players just by chance. 
It's hopeless. 

Well everyone’s pretty much been tried at this stage, as has playing a more non-conservative style, and it hasn’t gone too well 

Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:52pm

Agreed; nowhere near it. 
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:01pm

Well everyone’s pretty much been tried at this stage, as has playing a more non-conservative style, and it hasn’t gone too well 

Exactly. It's hopeless. We are minnows now regardless of who's in charge. 
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Michael O'Neill if people are happy to sacrifice football quality completely in favour of organisation that brings improved results. His style suits international football where there's limited time with the players, but it would be tough stuff to watch (though no tougher than what we're currently being subjected to). Hughton would bring a similar style but is probably past it at this stage.
That misunderstands O'Neill.

At heart he's a pragmatist. Meaning that for his first four years with NI, when all our best players were defenders (4 or 5 PL-standard CB's alone), his teams were defensive. Also had Chris Brunt to take set pieces, and Kyle Lafferty on a run of form to provide a target man up front.

But after the 2016 Euro's a lot of the old guard were in decline, or even retired, while the best new young players coming through were more attack-minded, midfielders etc. As a result, he switched to a more attacking, possession-based style.

This reached its peak in 2019 at home to Germany, where Lowe admitted that NI had completely outplayed Germany in the first half, such that he had to switch his tactics and personnel at H-T to try to deal with it. And even then, after Germany got a fortunate goal early in the second half, they were hanging on to their lead, until Gnabry got a second from a breakaway, 5 mins from the end.

I hadn't believed it possible to be so proud after a 2-0 home defeat as that evening, and Michael was the architect.

I suspect that right now, ROI need someone to organise them like MO'N did for NI  in 2013, but in  any case it's hypotheteical, since the NI job is there for the taking for Michael, and I can't see any way he'd turn it down for ROI.

Precisely!  Michael O'Neill assessed his team's relative strengths and weaknesses, and developed a style that allowed them the greatest opportunity to be successful.  They were disciplined, difficult to break down, spirited, and had a bite to them.

Whereas Stephen Kenny came in with a philosophy and style that he has insisted his players conform to, regardless of their talents or ability to do so.

Michael is a pragmatist.  Stephen is a dreamer. Sadly the dream has become a bit of a nightmare.

Is there anyone out there who honestly wouldn't feel more confident of our chances to ultimately reach a major tournament with Michael O'Neill at the helm rather than S.K.?
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 1:15am
Dobt think we getting to tournament with this squad whether o neill or kenny. Football under o neill ended up depressing despite grinding out results, football bit better in stages under kenny but results depressing and he seems to have regressed n become more conservative trying to turn results around but it’s not his style and situation is becoming a farce. Ok saying blooding odd young players but they struggling at club level even in championship. Kenny or no kenny, pragmatism or principle, until our youth fulfill potential at club level the present will always be bleak.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 44>
  Share Topic