You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Ireland Manager - Criteria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 44>
Poll Question: Which category below will the new manager likely come from?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [7.50%]
67 [55.83%]
2 [1.67%]
42 [35.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 10:16am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Somebody sticks a fiver on Bruce to get the job and some of this forum lose their sh*t. Honestly....

But we are in limbo - This is going to be the way now until November in the absence of any other information. Speculation is inevitable, those who dont want to engage arent required to Beer

But these markets are of no relevance as explained previously. 

I've a feeling any previous explanations are going to fall on deaf ears and every time the bookies regurgitate some washed up manager on an odds list, there's going to be multiple discussion posts on said ex managers suitability, family life, favourite meal, deceased relatives, favourite films/airlines/holiday destinations/sexual position etc etc etc...

Lads the title of the thread is Next Ireland Manager. We have received indications that Kenny's time could be up, what do ye expect? Seriously it's a discussion forum. You dont have to partake. Bookies stuck Bruce up as favourite overnight, cue inevitable discussion.

I just don't think you get it. 
If I walk into Paddy Power this morning and ask for 200 quid on Roddy Collins to be next Ireland manager, they will let me have a tenner and he'll be favourite. Should we then spend the next 3 days discussing his suitability for the job? 

Condescending much? Having worked as a runner for an on-course bookmaker, I'd imagine I'm at least as au fait as you are as to how bookmakers operate, thanks! Discussion forum on next Ireland manager - Bruce becomes favourite overnight, people discuss, not rocket science here! You dont have to partake!

Not being condescending at all - Explaining how it works as it's evident you don't understand based on all your previous posts so taking the opportunity to explain why discussions about Steve Bruce are pointless. 
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 10:10am

Somebody sticks a fiver on Bruce to get the job and some of this forum lose their sh*t. Honestly....

But we are in limbo - This is going to be the way now until November in the absence of any other information. Speculation is inevitable, those who dont want to engage arent required to Beer

I've a feeling any previous explanations are going to fall on deaf ears and every time the bookies regurgitate some washed up manager on an odds list, there's going to be multiple discussion posts on said ex managers suitability, family life, favourite meal, deceased relatives, favourite films/airlines/holiday destinations/sexual position etc etc etc...

Lads the title of the thread is Next Ireland Manager. We have received indications that Kenny's time could be up, what do ye expect? Seriously it's a discussion forum. You dont have to partake. Bookies stuck Bruce up as favourite overnight, cue inevitable discussion.

If I walk into Paddy Power this morning and ask for 200 quid on Roddy Collins to be next Ireland manager, they will let me have a tenner and he'll be favourite. Should we then spend the next 3 days discussing his suitability for the job? 

Condescending much? Having worked as a runner for an on-course bookmaker, I'd imagine I'm at least as au fait as you are as to how bookmakers operate, thanks! Discussion forum on next Ireland manager - Bruce becomes favourite overnight, people discuss, not rocket science here! You dont have to partake!
Idah Dream!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 10:01am

Well it’d be much better craic than talking up Steve Bruce on 2 separate threads for a start! 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 9:58am

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 9:58am

The bookies stuck bruce up overnight because they put out an article during the week in the mirror saying Paddy Power had added him to the market in the 20's . On the back of that article people clearly threw a few quid on him because of the PR, paddy power then had another article in the mirror proclaiming the odds to be slashed because of the money that had gone on. No substance to it other than we added the market here you go knock yourselves out.

It's a PR masterclass from the bookies in how to take money from people.

It's a discussion forum that doesn't mean we need a blow by blow daily on the changes in odds for a novelty market that'll earn paddies et al a few quid.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 9:52am

Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 9:49am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

He'd never take it because he's flying at club level but Kieran McKenna might be a shout for the job if Carsley is deemed not to be the next incumbent.

There is absolutely zero chance McKenna takes the Irish job unless the FAI find an extra €1mn to add to the €600k they are paying Kenny. McKenna has just signed a new l/t contract with Ipswich also, so compensation would be another huge issue. He is one of the most respected young coaches in the game, any kind of half decent season this time around (and they have started well) and he will be in the picture for PL/ top end Championship jobs i.e. ones with salaries upwards of £1.5mn stg p/a. Even if we found the money, I very much doubt the Irish job is one he would see as his next career step at age 37.

We need to find the next young coach on his way up, not one who has already proven himself and thus become unattainable. However I'd be worried that the the FAI would deem such an appointment too low profile - it will likely be as high profile as they can get for the limited amount of money they have available imo. In that context, Bruce makes a lot of sense - if we see puff pieces in the Sunday papers about how he did well at Villa and he was hamstrung at Newcastle by Ashley, then we'll know he's genuinely in the running.

Idah Dream!
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 9:47am

Literary!

In 1999, while manager of Huddersfield, he wrote a trio of novels: 
Striker!Sweeper! and Defender!. The books centred on fictional football manager Steve Barnes, based on Bruce, who solved murder mysteries and thwarted terrorists. Bruce later expressed his embarrassment at the books, which have become sought-after collectables

Maybe he can be unveiled at the dalkey book festival. 

It has also occured to me after yesterday this thread is near on pointless til November

Edited by Nialler - 15 Sep 2023 at 9:48am
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 9:38am

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 9:29am
He'd never take it because he's flying at club level but Kieran McKenna might be a shout for the job if Carsley is deemed not to be the next incumbent.

Edited by ShamtheRam - 15 Sep 2023 at 9:30am
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 9:28am

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 9:26am
High profile, low salary - Bruce ticks them boxes
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 9:16am

Idah Dream!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 9:13am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 9:02am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Some of our fans deserve a coach like Bruce.
LOL
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 8:58am
Literary!

In 1999, while manager of Huddersfield, he wrote a trio of novels: 
Striker!Sweeper! and Defender!. The books centred on fictional football manager Steve Barnes, based on Bruce, who solved murder mysteries and thwarted terrorists. Bruce later expressed his embarrassment at the books, which have become sought-after collectables

Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 8:50am
Steve Bruce has managed over 1,000 games. Experience! Cool
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Some of our fans deserve a coach like Bruce.
They really do

Aint that the truth Big smile
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 44>
  Share Topic