You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Stephen Kenny post November Friendlies 2022 poll
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny post November Friendlies 2022 poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Poll Question: Should Stephen Kenny be retained as Ireland manager?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
72 [44.72%]
89 [55.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

No country on a supposedly decent level would keep on a manager with a 26% win rate from 30 matches.

But we're not at a decent level any more. As Kevin Doyle said today, we are now minnows of international football.
We ended up as utter sh!te under MON. We have had sporadic good games since, mostly garbage. We are  still sh!te.
We don't have the players for the FAI to say to themselves let's get a sh*t hot young foreign manager to guide up to success. And no decent manager would take the job. SK is here for the Euros, like it or not.

We are hardly minnows of international football. OK we are an average team with no standout players so as I keep saying on here play to your strengths. Is our strength keeping the ball and playing a possession game. No. Is our strengths in defence and could we be a really tough team to beat if we'll organised. Yes. When you are an average team the first thing you do is make your defence rock solid. People refer to this as hoofball or anti-foothall but I would rather be in the mix for a Euros spot playing sh*te football than sitting out of contention after 2 games after trying to play a possession game.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 8:15am
We don't even need to play "hoofball" to be a more competent team. We just need to be professionally set up so that we're compact at the back and actually look like we have some kind of gameplan in possession. We do have the players for that.

I was watching Ecuador yesterday as one example. Okay, we know Qatar are sh*te, but Ecuador haven't conceded in about 6 games. They're tight at the back and when they get the ball they don't take all the pace out of the game. A few passes to get control of possession on the field and then they work it forward reasonably quickly to get on the front foot and create chances. It's far from hoofball though.

No doubt we'll see many other examples in the next few weeks of how international teams of a similar standard to us can be set up without taking all the pace out of the game with pointless lateral passes again and again.
Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 8:23am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

I've voted sack. As an Englishman we had the same problem with keegan.  Lots of passion but no tactical nouse.  Like Ireland now England just didn't have the players under keegan. Yes we guys like Scholes Beckham shearer Owen Gerrard etc but also alot of substandard players 

The Englishman had spoken! Close the poll.

Thumbs Up
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 9:06am
Hummmm here we go again .
Look bottom line he is not an international manager results prove this , he needs to be sacked so we can move on .
If we got someone else in we just may have a chance when we play France as we could get a bounce , now  if the FAI keep with Kenny we are fecked and we all know this . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:27am
i was very much leave him be especially with the Scotland performance in June and the results against Portugal and Belgium i really want him to do well. But now it's the same stuff we spoke about 2 years ago and the same excuses. The performances in the last 2 games don't really show we have kicked on and sometimes we just don't look up for it , I do wonder with Hogan and Keane pulling out due to alleged injury and both performing well in the championship does that mean anything. 
royal rover
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:36am
The players not looking bothered is a big one for me. Its hard to see a future when the players don't look interested in playing the way he wants.

Like another big one for me is the conservativeness of the performances, take a few chances ffs, stop passing backwards, sometimes the risky pass is the right pass and can lead to something positive.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:59am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

We don't even need to play "hoofball" to be a more competent team. We just need to be professionally set up so that we're compact at the back and actually look like we have some kind of gameplan in possession. We do have the players for that.

I was watching Ecuador yesterday as one example. Okay, we know Qatar are sh*te, but Ecuador haven't conceded in about 6 games. They're tight at the back and when they get the ball they don't take all the pace out of the game. A few passes to get control of possession on the field and then they work it forward reasonably quickly to get on the front foot and create chances. It's far from hoofball though.

No doubt we'll see many other examples in the next few weeks of how international teams of a similar standard to us can be set up without taking all the pace out of the game with pointless lateral passes again and again.

Sorry, but this is rubbish. Ecuador qualified from a South American group ahead of the likes of Chile and Colombia. They are at least a level above us, similar standard to us my hole!
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:11am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Sorry, but this is rubbish. Ecuador qualified from a South American group ahead of the likes of Chile and Colombia. They are at least a level above us, similar standard to us my hole!

Similar standard of players, just better coached and set up. Which is the point I was making.

Their main forward is a 33 year old who failed at West Ham and Everton and has only found success at club level in the Mexican and Turkish leagues.

The rest of the squad is nothing to write home about - a few lads at Brighton and most of the rest play in Mexico, Ecuador or small to mid rank European clubs.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:16am

Similar standard of players, just better coached and set up. Which is the point I was making.

Their main forward is a 33 year old who failed at West Ham and Everton and has only found success at club level in the Mexican and Turkish leagues.

The rest of the squad is nothing to write home about - a few lads at Brighton and most of the rest play in Mexico, Ecuador or small to mid rank European clubs.

We are sh*t! Our midfield consists of a decent Ch player, an average Ch player and a L1 player! We have 2 PL regulars at teams battling relegation who may or may not keep their places under new managers, a PL has been and a decent PL squad player. We would kill for a Caicedo or an experienced Striker with an intl record of 36 goals in 75 games!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:22am

We are sh*t! Our midfield consists of a decent Ch player, an average Ch player and a L1 player! We have 2 PL regulars at teams battling relegation who may or may not keep their places under new managers, a PL has been and a decent PL squad player. We would kill for a Caicedo or an experienced Striker with an intl record of 36 goals in 75 games!

Thats not to excuse Kenny btw, I just don't think it's a valid comparison. Fwiw I'm wavering on Kenny, the failure to give Smallbone minutes is baffling. However, I'd stick for now and give him the first 3 games of the campaign, he needs decent performances and an absolute minimum of 4 points to warrant retention. If he gets that then let him off for the rest of the campaign, if he doesnt bring a new man in June with no weight of expectation and the remainder of the campaign to work out his best XI for a possible play off in 9 months' time (the following March I think).
Idah Dream!
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:24am
The lack of urgency on making subs will ultimately be his undoing in my opinion. It's the only consistent thing about Ireland games these days.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:30am
David Moyes and Jesse Marsch will be available soon.

Mick McCarthy 3.0

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

E L      LO CO     B IEL S A  

Rafa Benitez

Woy Hodgson 

Rodney  Collins esquire

John Caulfield

Ollie Horgan

David Jeffrey

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jimmykeno View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmykeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:39am
lads most of ye are forgetting the most logical point... he has a new contract for the duration of the euro qualifiers. the fai are flat broke so no wy they'll pay him off as well as paying a new manger's salary. realistically he will be leaving then at the end of the campaign as our draw is shocking hard.

realistically who would we get anyway? michael o'neill is the only person i can see who would want it for the potential salary and who we wouldn't need to pay compensation for 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:41am
Kenny said now is about consolidation not experimentation.  The last 3 performances have been shocking.
He isn't learning on the job. That's clear with his ridiculous loyalty to the likes of Hendrick and Hourihane who i think would have to murder someone to be left out of squads.   We know what they do.  Nothing.  They have let us down time after time.  Let someone else have a go.   If there are two young lads getting even a  few PL sub appearances then they cannot be any worse and probably better than H&H.  You cant say you're satisfied with our midfield Kenny because its sh*te and imo I'd be searching until we come across someone better even during qualifiers.  Things are so bad I'd be willing to throw the likes of Coventry on against France.  

Why do we keep picking Hendrick expecting him to change his spots?  He's an awful player.

We will be out after 2 games of the next campaign.

B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

David Moyes and Jesse Marsch will be available soon.

Mick McCarthy 3.0

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

E L      LO CO     B IEL S A  

Rafa Benitez

Woy Hodgson 

Rodney  Collins esquire

John Caulfield

Ollie Horgan

David Jeffrey

Wilder is the stand out  option. 

Reckon he'd take it.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Jimmykeno Jimmykeno wrote:

lads most of ye are forgetting the most logical point... he has a new contract for the duration of the euro qualifiers. the fai are flat broke so no wy they'll pay him off as well as paying a new manger's salary. realistically he will be leaving then at the end of the campaign as our draw is shocking hard.

realistically who would we get anyway? michael o'neill is the only person i can see who would want it for the potential salary and who we wouldn't need to pay compensation for 

Isn't Kenny on a contract with a clause that requires a minimum standard of results and they can sack him compensation free if he isn't meeting the standards?

Edited by Trap junior - 21 Nov 2022 at 11:43am

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:48am

realistically who would we get anyway? michael o'neill is the only person i can see who would want it for the potential salary and who we wouldn't need to pay compensation forĀ 

Isn't Kenny on a contract with a clause that requires a minimum standard of results and they can sack him compensation free if he isn't meeting the standards?

FAI had a break clause which allowed them walk away for reduced compensation I think was said. But whether they still have that option or it might have been something that had to be activated by a certain time after the Nations League.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:49am

On a human level, serious stick is coming his way.

You'd have to feel for him. Its his dream job and where does go from here?

A horror show of a campaign is in store and things will get nasty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
  Share Topic