You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Stephen Kenny post November Friendlies 2022 poll
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny post November Friendlies 2022 poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Poll Question: Should Stephen Kenny be retained as Ireland manager?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
72 [44.72%]
89 [55.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

You have to beat your ‘schmuck’ teams if you want to qualify, especially if you are lower ranked and are more likely to be second place. It seemed like Kenny was moving towards that with the wins over Azerbaijan and Luxembourg, but I’m not sure that was not just a once off. The Nations League would suggest the possibility of dropping points in places comparable to Armenia.

I wrote over in the other thread about this but my big gripe is going 1 nil up away from home and throwing away leads against Portugal, Serbia, Scotland and Ukraine, 3 of the 4 we ended up losing as well. A team like Ireland can't afford to get into a winning position and throw it away. Once or twice can happen as the squad develops and happened to Mick early on, but the most recent case being Scotland possibly cost us rankings and a playoff for Euro 24. Likewise, beating Portugal in Faro would have given Kenny's stock a fair boost, instead we drew at home to Azerbaijan a few days afterwards. 
Sponsored Links

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 6:31pm
What's the Latvia talk anyways? Anything firm on this? 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Nothing official. Mark McCadden who reports for Irish Mirror and a few Twitter accounts but that's it. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Nothing official. Mark McCadden who reports for Irish Mirror and a few Twitter accounts but that's it. 

Ah good stuff. Hopefully we know soon one way or the other 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 7:35pm

Seemly lined up to play Latvia in a March friendly before the France game.

At home I assume? Can’t see us wanting to go away.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 7:37pm

Lovely.  Another chance to blood young Hendrick
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Kenny trying to get his win rate up again. Cullen, Hendrick and Browne to start in midfield in that one.

Duffy to make a comeback 😏
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Seemly lined up to play Latvia in a March friendly before the France game.

At home I assume? Can’t see us wanting to go away.

Yeah Latvia are playing in Wales a few days after so suits them perfectly to travel here for a friendly.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:59pm
Out straight away and get the next guy in to get ready for the nations league playoffs 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
DubLife View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 9:38am
I just realised that Qatar are ranked 50 just behind us. How does this happen? I dont see any progress here. Especially when Jeff Hendrick is still moonlighting 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 12:19am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Mate did you actually watch the game? It was shockingly bad. No getting away from it. Malta are sh1te

We won. We've won 2 of the last 3. We won 3 home games this year. If all you want is results no matter what, that's more than good enough. And if it isn't then, 

Lose Games: Sack the Manager
Draw Games: Sack the Manager
Win Games: Sack the Manager

What sort of washed up wrinkly from across the water, wants to come in here for half a week, and burst bubbles in that kind of environment. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 12:35am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Mate did you actually watch the game? It was shockingly bad. No getting away from it. Malta are sh1te

We won. We've won 2 of the last 3. We won 3 home games this year. If all you want is results no matter what, that's more than good enough. And if it isn't then, 

Lose Games: Sack the Manager
Draw Games: Sack the Manager
Win Games: Sack the Manager

What sort of washed up wrinkly from across the water, wants to come in here for half a week, and burst bubbles in that kind of environment. 

Bit of a random reply to a post last Sunday. That reply was to a guy if i remember correctly who said ah it was just a friendly and we won. Yes we did win but it was by good fortune from a silly backpass. We were horrendous for 90 plus minutes. No shot on target apart from O'Dowda who hit the post. On the back of the Norway defeat we should have been hell bent on ending the year with a good display. But we played like we were asleep. As stated many times i have been a supporter of Stephen and still will be as long as he is in the job. Somewhere along the way the progress we were making seems to have stalled if not gone back somewhat. I only be too delighted if we can turn things around but right now i just dont see that happening.
I love beer gardens
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 1:03am

Bit of a random reply to a post last Sunday. That reply was to a guy if i remember correctly who said ah it was just a friendly and we won. Yes we did win but it was by good fortune from a silly backpass. We were horrendous for 90 plus minutes. No shot on target apart from O'Dowda who hit the post. On the back of the Norway defeat we should have been hell bent on ending the year with a good display. But we played like we were asleep. As stated many times i have been a supporter of Stephen and still will be as long as he is in the job. Somewhere along the way the progress we were making seems to have stalled if not gone back somewhat. I only be too delighted if we can turn things around but right now i just dont see that happening.

Doesn't matter. We won. If the Mick and MON disciples still bang on about the results business when we squeeze past the Georgias and the Gibraltars of the game, then that also applies equally when we're squeezing past the Armenias and the Maltas of the game, whether they like it or not. 

Going back to my last post, anyone of the washed up wrinkles that can't get a club job across the water, would soon get fed up of the permanent demands that he be sacked after every single game, after parking the bus and have us hoofing it up towards the stars for 90 minutes, hoping for a nick off Duffy's head off a setpiece. Thankfully we've gradually evolved from that traditional gameplan with this man in charge. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 2:17am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Doesn't matter. We won. If the Mick and MON disciples still bang on about the results business when we squeeze past the Georgias and the Gibraltars of the game, then that also applies equally when we're squeezing past the Armenias and the Maltas of the game, whether they like it or not. 

Going back to my last post, anyone of the washed up wrinkles that can't get a club job across the water, would soon get fed up of the permanent demands that he be sacked after every single game, after parking the bus and have us hoofing it up towards the stars for 90 minutes, hoping for a nick off Duffy's head off a setpiece. Thankfully we've gradually evolved from that traditional gameplan with this man in charge. 
We've evolved into headless chickens.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 11:48am
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

A point was made in 2020 on here about accents.

An Irish , especially working class Dub, accent doesn't command the the kind of gravitas in a dressing room that a tough north of England accent commands.

Compare Kennys tone of voice to Big Jack. Whose voice commands attention?

I know this sounds ridiculous but think about it.

Scottish, Geordie, Manc/Northern accents have a deep commanding tone.

Think that might have been me. LOL

I'm listening to Alan Cawley right now and I want to stick a dildo in my ears to make myself deaf so I don't have to listen to him. 

Can you imagine someone like himself or Stephen Kelly trying to command a dressing room with those accents? 

Kenny, too, is way too soft spoken, and he loses his train of thought too easily as well. The chap starts a sentence and forgets what he's trying to say by the end of it. 

I genuinely wonder how he gets his point across. He's low energy as well so he can't compensate in that regard. He stands on the touchline from minute one to minute ninety with a blank expression on his face like Homer Simpson when the guy in the power plant is telling him what all the buttons mean.

The only time you ever see any animation from him is when we score a last minute equaliser against Barbados.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 11:51am
Hilarious the way that people think how Stephen Kenny interacts in post match interview has to be exactly how he interacts when he is coaching or talking to the team. 
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by DubLife DubLife wrote:

I just realised that Qatar are ranked 50 just behind us. How does this happen? I dont see any progress here. Especially when Jeff Hendrick is still moonlighting 

Wouldn't read to much into it, or even the FIFA rankings in general.
They've played a load of friendlies against weaker opposition and won most of the them.  They also lost to Linfield in a friendly, if that's anything to go by.
City Till I Die
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic