You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Stephen Kenny post November Friendlies 2022 poll
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny post November Friendlies 2022 poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Poll Question: Should Stephen Kenny be retained as Ireland manager?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
72 [44.72%]
89 [55.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 4:56am
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

A point was made in 2020 on here about accents.

An Irish , especially working class Dub, accent doesn't command the the kind of gravitas in a dressing room that a tough north of England accent commands.

Compare Kennys tone of voice to Big Jack. Whose voice commands attention?

I know this sounds ridiculous but think about it.

Scottish, Geordie, Manc/Northern accents have a deep commanding tone.

Welcome back Sid.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 5:06am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Here's another fact.  How many Irish born managers have managed at a decent level in any league worldwide?

David O'Leary was the last and I can barely think of anyone else.  We cant even produce managers never mind players.

To be pedantic, O'Leary was born in London.

2022 was a really sh*t year. There was serious optimism after last October & Novembers results, which carried into a decent performance & result against Belgium (without Lukaku & De Bruyne. Not including Hazard in that because he'll be non-existent at the WC too). The NL campaign was a shambles really when you look at it as a whole. He's been too naive in his statements at times, especially with the topping the group thing. I don't understand why any manager would say that without knowing who is in your group.

The Euros draw was a disaster. Worst possible pot 2 and pot 4 teams. I think most people were happy to sacrifice the last 2 tournaments in the hope that we'd qualify with a young team which would have gained a lot of experience, but that looks unlikely to happen now.

It pains me to say it but at the moment, we would add nothing to any major tournament, apart from our support. Senegal were a completely average team, but even their subs play at a far higher level than our starters bar Collins & Bazunu (not including Coleman these days). The Netherlands look ordinary enough for a pot 1 team, but they're still far superior to us in every area.

Not to excuse any mistakes Kenny has made, and there have been more than a few, but our playing pool is so poor it's very hard to see any reason for optimism.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 7:52am
May be a good thing Kenny staying for next year as no manager is getting us out of that group. Can't even see how you start to lay foundations against the Dutch and the French either. 

When is his contract up?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

May be a good thing Kenny staying for next year as no manager is getting us out of that group. Can't even see how you start to lay foundations against the Dutch and the French either. 

When is his contract up?

Of course no manager is getting us out of the group. We have a team of mostly championship players with the odd premier league player and league one too.  We are probably 4th team in the group on ability and Feic all champions league experience in the team and not much europa league either.  What Martin I Neill used to say about the squad when he was manager is all true now. Manager should still not say it but fans can.  Kenny is not getting us to out perform our abilities currently and that is the issue.  We are just about playing on par to our talents which are low. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:49am
Seemly lined up to play Latvia in a March friendly before the France game.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 22 Nov 2022 at 8:49am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:54am
Kenny trying to get his win rate up again. Cullen, Hendrick and Browne to start in midfield in that one.
Jimmykeno View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmykeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Kenny doesn't get his support from League of Ireland fanatics.

He is given extra leeway by what has gone before - Ireland's descent into the depths of O'Neill's unique brand of anti-football - and also by the limitations of the current crop of players.

The comparison with Staunton is a nonsense, as he had a better group to select from. He barely beat San Marino and was hockeyed by Cyprus.

Kenny has also survived because his team sporadically teases the public with some excellent football. Some of the goals we have scored during his time have been the best in decades. The home performance against Scotland is about as good as it can get from an Ireland team.

And that is the annoying part of all this. There is never any consistency in performance. Sometimes it's good and others it's entirely flat, and for no apparent reason.

We concede the same types of goals - Norway's 2nd was very similar to Ukraine's goal in Dublin. Malta almost scored a replica of Ukraine's goal against us in Poland. Lots of long-range goals and goals immediately after half-time.

The game against Malta was as bad as his very first game against Bulgaria. Just passing the ball for the sake of passing.

During his time, we have made some progress, but it's very inconsistent, but we have lost our strengths - such as a strong defence and never-say-die attitude.

At this stage I think we need a committee running the team.

Kenny - trying to get us to play more ball.
McCarthy - to get us up for the occasion, especially at home.
Trapattoni - for his great away record.
O'Neill - for his ability to get a wins against better opponents.

some of the best points i have seen on the situation
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 10:00am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Kenny trying to get his win rate up again. Cullen, Hendrick and Browne to start in midfield in that one.

Or you know there's qualifiers on so only a couple of teams available and there's a big Latvian population here.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 10:14am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Or you know there's qualifiers on so only a couple of teams available and there's a big Latvian population here.

Or Latvia approached the FAI given they play Wales in a qualifier a week after.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

I heard it was the league of Ireland fans pushing this one 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 10:39am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

I heard it was the league of Ireland fans pushing this one 
Yeah Dundalk want a look at their centre half, it’s a fair shout imo 
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 10:56am
I'm out on Kenny at this stage, the in-game management has been poor from the start and no signs of improvement and the inconsistency/soft goals are just a feature of our play rather than something you can wash the managers hands of. 

I think he's done good work bringing in young lads and trying to change the mindset and conversation around the national team. We've also played some of the best stuff in years under him, but also some of the worst. 

I don't have a list of better candidates and I'm not in a particular rush to see him gone as I think this qualifying group is an awful place to try and cut your cloth, I also don't particularly trust the FAI to get the next appointment right either so I'm hesitant to really clamour for Kenny's sacking, at least he is doing some of the right things in terms of player personnel and his positivity, but overall I don't think he's up to international standard. 

Saying all that, it wouldn't surprise me to get results at home and/or away to both France and Netherlands in this group under Kenny. But we are just as likely to lose or scrape a draw to Gibraltar, and that trend hasn't changed. 

And I'd be one of the "Kenny cultists" that some like to throw about on this forum LOL
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 11:06am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I'm out on Kenny at this stage, the in-game management has been poor from the start and no signs of improvement and the inconsistency/soft goals are just a feature of our play rather than something you can wash the managers hands of. 

I think he's done good work bringing in young lads and trying to change the mindset and conversation around the national team. We've also played some of the best stuff in years under him, but also some of the worst. 

I don't have a list of better candidates and I'm not in a particular rush to see him gone as I think this qualifying group is an awful place to try and cut your cloth, I also don't particularly trust the FAI to get the next appointment right either so I'm hesitant to really clamour for Kenny's sacking, at least he is doing some of the right things in terms of player personnel and his positivity, but overall I don't think he's up to international standard. 

Saying all that, it wouldn't surprise me to get results at home and/or away to both France and Netherlands in this group under Kenny. But we are just as likely to lose or scrape a draw to Gibraltar, and that trend hasn't changed. 

And I'd be one of the "Kenny cultists" that some like to throw about on this forum LOL

Save me writing my own...I'll just agree with all of this Big smile
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 11:38am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

100%

I wouldn't be surprised if we play well against France and get a draw then go to Greece, play abysmal and be beaten.  I also wouldn't be at all confident of taking 6 points from Gibraltar. 

Under past managers you would be reasonably confident we would pick up maximum points against the schmuck teams.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:24pm
You have to beat your ‘schmuck’ teams if you want to qualify, especially if you are lower ranked and are more likely to be second place. It seemed like Kenny was moving towards that with the wins over Azerbaijan and Luxembourg, but I’m not sure that was not just a once off. The Nations League would suggest the possibility of dropping points in places comparable to Armenia.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

We don't even need to play "hoofball" to be a more competent team. We just need to be professionally set up so that we're compact at the back and actually look like we have some kind of gameplan in possession. We do have the players for that.

I was watching Ecuador yesterday as one example. Okay, we know Qatar are sh*te, but Ecuador haven't conceded in about 6 games. They're tight at the back and when they get the ball they don't take all the pace out of the game. A few passes to get control of possession on the field and then they work it forward reasonably quickly to get on the front foot and create chances. It's far from hoofball though.

No doubt we'll see many other examples in the next few weeks of how international teams of a similar standard to us can be set up without taking all the pace out of the game with pointless lateral passes again and again.

Sorry, but this is rubbish. Ecuador qualified from a South American group ahead of the likes of Chile and Colombia. They are at least a level above us, similar standard to us my hole!

Similar standard of players, just better coached and set up. Which is the point I was making.

Their main forward is a 33 year old who failed at West Ham and Everton and has only found success at club level in the Mexican and Turkish leagues.

The rest of the squad is nothing to write home about - a few lads at Brighton and most of the rest play in Mexico, Ecuador or small to mid rank European clubs.

We are sh*t! Our midfield consists of a decent Ch player, an average Ch player and a L1 player! We have 2 PL regulars at teams battling relegation who may or may not keep their places under new managers, a PL has been and a decent PL squad player. We would kill for a Caicedo or an experienced Striker with an intl record of 36 goals in 75 games!

More evidence again today of what a fairly limited group of players can achieve when they're properly coached. But no doubt we'll continue to be told that we are sh*t and have no right to be doing any better than we currently are, and that no manager could get any more out of our players than Kenny is getting.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

You have to beat your ‘schmuck’ teams if you want to qualify, especially if you are lower ranked and are more likely to be second place. It seemed like Kenny was moving towards that with the wins over Azerbaijan and Luxembourg, but I’m not sure that was not just a once off. The Nations League would suggest the possibility of dropping points in places comparable to Armenia.

yeah that's essentially the problem, I think the good performances have been really really good, but there's no solidity to the team at all so if we're not playing well, it can fall apart so easily. There's an element to that of young players and players just playing at a lower level so they don't have that quality or experience, but really when it's such an obvious trend across his entire tenure, you have to look at the manager and coaching. 

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 1:46pm

More evidence again today of what a fairly limited group of players can achieve when they're properly coached. But no doubt we'll continue to be told that we are sh*t and have no right to be doing any better than we currently are, and that no manager could get any more out of our players than Kenny is getting.

Agree completely. It is the usual tripe that you hear from the ''keep Kenny on at all costs'' individuals who would still be pleading the same BS if we lost to San Marino. Stephen Kenny is bringing the national team down to his level.
The only way is up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic