You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 55>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Ferguson - 18
Cannon - 20
Parrott - 21
Obafemi - 22
Idah - 22
Connolly - 22
Ogbene - 25

They're all developing at different rates, some have a higher ceiling than others and none are the finished article at this point, but that's a really decent crop of young forwards to be able to draw from all the same. Only Ogbene, who is the oldest of them by a distance, hasn't played in the EPL.

And others behind them who have also played Championship/EPL football
Armstrong
Odubeko
Scully
Okoflex
Kayode

We're in an extraordinarily strong position for young strikers at the moment.

Okoflex is a winger for sure.

It is weird that we never used prduce strikers and always had great full backs no matter what and it seems the next gen is backwards. We used be really strong in centre mid too in general. Now  very light.

GIles,Brady retires, Keane steps in. Holland Kinsella Carsley etc. last 3 Fine midfielders and way above what we have now.  the first 3 world class.

I don't think any of the 5 behind will develop into players for us btw but a good production line developing..
Probably hoping for Zefi as a winger/2nd striker and a few others under age to really excel over those

Edited by Nialler - 14 Mar 2023 at 11:09pm
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Ferguson - 18
Cannon - 20
Parrott - 21
Obafemi - 22
Idah - 22
Connolly - 22
Ogbene - 25

They're all developing at different rates, some have a higher ceiling than others and none are the finished article at this point, but that's a really decent crop of young forwards to be able to draw from all the same. Only Ogbene, who is the oldest of them by a distance, hasn't played in the EPL.

Armstrong
Odubeko
Scully
Okoflex
Kayode

It is weird that we never used prduce strikers and always had great full backs no matter what and it seems the next gen is backwards. We used be really strong in centre mid too in general. Now  very light.

GIles,Brady retires, Keane steps in. Holland Kinsella Carsley etc. last 3 Fine midfielders and way above what we have now.  the first 3 world class.

I don't think any of the 5 behind will develop into players for us btw but a good production line developing..
Probably hoping for Zefi as a winger/2nd striker and a few others under age to really excel over those

Armstrong is the only one of those additional five I would have a huge amount of hope for in terms of making it at a level high enough to play for us. The other four have a lot of ground to make up already I think.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 11:49pm

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Ferguson - 18
Cannon - 20
Parrott - 21
Obafemi - 22
Idah - 22
Connolly - 22
Ogbene - 25

Armstrong
Odubeko
Scully
Okoflex
Kayode

Armstrong is the only one of those additional five I would have a huge amount of hope for in terms of making it at a level high enough to play for us. The other four have a lot of ground to make up already I think.

Yeah he is best of the rest in terms of ceiling because he is an absolute unit. he has a few years to develop. QPR fans seem to love him besides his lack of goal  and are all willing him to score a goal which is weird because lots of fan bases are absolutely toxic towards young lads. I wonder can he develop technically though. Props to QPR fans on that. Stoke fans were on the brink of calling for Smallbones murder a couple of months ago and Idah is getting serious stick.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:19am

Armstrong
Odubeko
Scully
Okoflex
Kayode

Do you honestly think that? I think anyone who thinks we're in an 'extraordinarily strong position' is deluded. Apart from Ferguson, we have no one who looks exciting and it's still very early doors for him. 

I'm quite confident we won't even see the 5 players above make the senior team with the exception of Armstrong but still a long shout. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:27am
+1

Ferguson still has to prove himself

Cannon isn't even Irish and may not even play for the senior side

Parrott and Connolly are 18 months away to being write offs

Idah has athleticism but so far hasn't impressed at all and can't score

Obafemi is so-so but can at least score the odd goal

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

+1

Jaysis that is outrageously harsh on Parrott. 
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:42am
But, at the same time, at lot better than what most European countries our size have coming through. There is a serious shortage of good young strikers out there these days, obviously not all these lads will come good but we only need two or three to make the step up and we have six or seven potential candidates at least at the moment.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:47am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

+1

Not really.  The lad can't score at senior level.  He could end up turning into a midfield player.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Armstrong
Odubeko
Scully
Okoflex
Kayode

Do you honestly think that? I think anyone who thinks we're in an 'extraordinarily strong position' is deluded. Apart from Ferguson, we have no one who looks exciting and it's still very early doors for him. 

I'm quite confident we won't even see the 5 players above make the senior team with the exception of Armstrong but still a long shout. 

The lack of nuance on here is startling at times. An extraordinary strong position if we were Brazil? No, of course not. But we are Ireland, so to have 10/11 strikers who have played in the top two divisions by their teens/early 20's IS AN EXTRAORDINARY POSITION. That's without even getting into other promising young strikers playing in other divisions. We are absolutely stacked for a nation of our size, we've possibly never been in as good a place before in this regard.
We're decent enough..
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:49am

+1

Not really.  The lad can't score at senior level.  He could end up turning into a midfield player.

Apart from the 10 goals last year and the 4 important ones for Ireland. Eeijit.

Edited by The O'Shea - 15 Mar 2023 at 8:50am
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 9:02am
He has scored 2 measly goals this year for PNE. AFAIK one was a fluke and the other was a peno.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 9:03am
Jese I Don't get the uttter excitement of our forward options that some have here. Ferguson looks a special talent and one to be very excited about. Idah and Parrott I had big hopes for. It hasn't happened yet but there's still time. Cannon looks decent but don't think he will ever be world class or anything. Wasn't blown away by him when I was in Deepdale a few weeks ago. Think we have been so bad for so long now that any half decent player coming through is blown completely out of proportion
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 9:05am

I think of the four he scored, I would only class as important, the one against Scotland. The three scored in friendly matches just saved face against Lithuania, and avoided total embarrassment against Andorra.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 9:58am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He has scored 2 measly goals this year for PNE. AFAIK one was a fluke and the other was a peno.

Troy turned 21 last month and is featuring regularly in the Championship. But he is 18 months away from being a write off apparently. Dear Jesus. 

He hasn’t lived up to the early hype, that’s fair enough. He defo isn’t scoring enough goals, also fair enough. 

He has shown resilience, has a good attitude and his work rate is excellent by all accounts. He might not turn out to be our saviour but he has a chance of a really good career. 

El Puto Amo
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I think of the four he scored, I would only class as important, the one against Scotland. The three scored in friendly matches just saved face against Lithuania, and avoided total embarrassment against Andorra.

So goals in friendlies shouldn't count?

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:37am
I'm not sure Kenny would still be in a job if it wasn't for his other goals, so they at least have some importance in that regard (even if they've just actually delayed the inevitable).

But from Kenny's point of view it would be some move to drop him after his goals saved him from huge embarrassment twice against absolute minnows.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Stephen Kenny would disagree for sure. All 4 goals important to him,the 2 against Andorra saved his job stepped up when no one else would even attempt to do it. 

Hence he will be loyal to him. Parrott hasn’t caught fire this season but first season in the Championship he’s got regular minutes and will benefit from it. Will get another similar move next year only turned 21. 

He hasn’t lived up to the ridiculous early hype but he’s not doing terrible either. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:39am

+1

4 important goals my holeLOL

Wouldnt be like you to think every kid comin through is going to be a great player.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 55>
  Share Topic