You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 55>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 7:26pm
He's played competitively for our Under 19s.
Sponsored Links

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Parrott is this new breed of modern striker.  The non goal scoring striker.
He saw all the YBIG debates on "goal involvements" and decided to save us the hassle by not getting any 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 11:20pm

Had a look over on the Preston forum and they think Cannon is "light years ahead of Parrott".

If this lad is interested he has a good argument to be called up instead of some of the usuals.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 11:52pm
I would have Cannon ahead of Collins and Keane tbh. 20 years old with a much higher ceiling.
he looks like he will develop into a proper 9 in time. Ireland weirdly have a lot of 9 options under 23 which is great as there is a dearth of them in football these days.

Edited by Nialler - 11 Mar 2023 at 11:54pm
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Had a look over on the Preston forum and they think Cannon is "light years ahead of Parrott".

If this lad is interested he has a good argument to be called up instead of some of the usuals.
said it when he signed, by end of season he will be in senior squad and parrott be back in under 21s
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 12:44am
Originally posted by PaddyMaddenIsCounty! PaddyMaddenIsCounty! wrote:

said it when he signed, by end of season he will be in senior squad and parrott be back in under 21s

Parrott unfortunately lacks any real elite physical gifts the 9's need at the top level. He will prob never be a 9 at that level. no Shock to see him playing deeper as his career goes on.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Parrott unfortunately lacks any real elite physical gifts the 9's need at the top level. He will prob never be a 9 at that level. no Shock to see him playing deeper as his career goes on.
Whilst I agree, you could argue that Harry Kane isn't exactly physically blessed. He's strong enough maybe but he doesn't have much pace. The fact of the matter is that Troy is not good enough technically to make up for his lack of physicality. 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 1:13am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Whilst I agree, you could argue that Harry Kane isn't exactly physically blessed. He's strong enough maybe but he doesn't have much pace. The fact of the matter is that Troy is not good enough technically to make up for his lack of physicality. 

His ball striking is great. Needs to add more though. I do think he will be a long term international though. just will prob really only see the best of him in a few years if he can graft. I am not sure he has it upstairs though.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 1:41am
Parrott is tall and naturally quite good in the air, as he fills out his frame he could become quite good as a link man/target man type striker. He has no pace to trouble defenders in behind so he's going to have to adapt himself somehow to make it any higher than the Championship in his career.
We're decent enough..
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 11:22am
I'd be interested to see whether or not he'd accept a call up to 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 11:34am
We'd never find out if he accpeted a call or not. The FAI would ask, he'd say no and then would either be left out or put in the 21s and the discussion is never mentioned publicly.

It's been mentioned loads but we really need to take an approach similar to Wales on it. Call them up, give them game time and force their hand soon as they're good enough. If they don't want to play, banish them and forget about them. The argument putting dual eligble players out for the sake of capping them is moot when we're unironically wheeling Conor Hourihane out to close out competitive games against Armenia

If Brennan Johnson had an Irish granny instead of a Welsh one, there'd still be public discourse on will he, won't he with England. But he's Welsh, so he has 18 caps and it's not even a point of discussion. 

Edited by Pinginí - 12 Mar 2023 at 12:15pm
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 11:37am
According to a few cousin's he has his heart set on playing for Engerland. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Pinginí Pinginí wrote:

It's been mentioned loads but we really need to take an approach similar to Wales on it. Call them up, give them game time and force their hand soon as they're good enough. If they don't want to play, banish them and forget about them. The argument putting dual eligble players out for the sake of capping them is moot when we're unironically wheeling Conor Hourihane out to close out competitive games against Armenia

If Brennan Johnson had an Irish granny instead of a Welsh one, there'd still be public discourse on will he, won't he with England. But he's Welsh, so he has 18 caps and it's not even a point of discussion. 

That is absolutely not what Wales do. They happily let players jump between Wales and England and only cap them if and when they want to be capped.

Incidentally, for all the talk about Wales, Johnson aside they seem to have absolutely f**k all talent coming through at the moment. The only other one is (Irish eligible) Luke Harris who apparently has his sights set on England to the point that he declined any involvement with Wales at the World Cup a few months ago.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

According to a few cousin's he has his heart set on playing for Engerland. 

Apparently he's in a WhatsApp group with Evan Ferguson and Joe Hodge discussing England callup strategies.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 12:04pm
I have no issues with granny rulers bur I do think if someone rejects playing for Ireland they should never be involved again at any age group. Cannon has played at 19 and 20's. If he did reject a senior call up he shouldn't be selected for 21's. Al hypothetical though.
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 12:07pm

I have no issues with granny rulers bur I do think if someone rejects playing for Ireland they should never be involved again at any age group. Cannon has played at 19 and 20's. If he did reject a senior call up he shouldn't be selected for 21's. Al hypothetical though.

I would agree with this
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Why do we continue to second guess ourselves when there is no good reason to? There's been no indication from anywhere that Cannon wouldn't accept a call up.
We're decent enough..
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Why do we continue to second guess ourselves when there is no good reason to? There's been no indication from anywhere that Cannon wouldn't accept a call up.

Well we second guess ourselves because the lad has options to play for different countries. But I do agree there is no suggestion he wouldn't accept one. I would say again for sure I would call him up over the Collins, Hogans and Keanes of the world and even as a supporter of what Kenny is doing I will judge him harshly on decisions like this where he could add a talented young player to the pool that is good for 10 years and not just the week in hand.

Edited by Nialler - 12 Mar 2023 at 12:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 55>
  Share Topic