You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 55>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 7:41pm
amazes me how much focus and effort young English born players get in comparison to Irish born players in the 6 counties. incredibly frustrating. another young Irishman from Coleraine called up by the North i believe. the focus and action needs to change and change big time, we are supposed to be a 32 county team!!
Sponsored Links

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 7:59pm
Fair point. You’re referring to Paddy Kelly of West Ham, a midfielder who has been called up by Michael O’Neill along with his club mate Callum Marshall, a striker. Two youngsters who are likely to be fast tracked by NI as others like Conor Bradley and Shea Charles have been recently. The FAI needs to be more aware of lads like these and check them out.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 8:08pm
Yes, Conor Bradley is definitely a loss to us.  He's already an exciting player and I believe he has a high ceiling.

Don't see why we can't concentrate properly on both categories - six counties lads and parent/grandparent lads. It's not either-or.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 06 Jun 2023 at 8:10pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 8:16pm
What are we supposed to do with those players though - it would be ridiculous to give them senior callups, they'd be miles off our senior squad at the moment? If they're jumping to the NI senior squad at the first available opportunity and not waiting to see whether they're good enough for us in the future or not, the reality is that they mustn't consider themselves that Irish in any case. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

What are we supposed to do with those players though - it would be ridiculous to give them senior callups, they'd be miles off our senior squad at the moment? If they're jumping to the NI senior squad at the first available opportunity and not waiting to see whether they're good enough for us in the future or not, the reality is that they mustn't consider themselves that Irish in any case. 

Especially when you consider Sean Moore would have likely gotten a senior call up had he stayed with NI but switched to be involved with our U19s instead.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 8:40pm
Who's to say either of those NI lads had any interest in playing for us?
Or that they weren't approached but would not have made our U19 squads anyway?

Both are NI underage internationals and getting bumped to the seniors so fast is great for them.

The Moore thing shows we are active over the border.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 8:44pm
If they really wanted to play for us they could make themselves known to the relevant people within the FAI.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 9:35pm
They are youngsters. If English born kids with Irish grannies can be pursued, it makes sense to be pro-active with lads up the road. I thought Kelly might be a potential switch, Marshall unlikely though. Sean Moore is due to join them at West Ham in August when he turns eighteen.
Realrover View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 10:35pm
How the f**k would he have evidence? If there was evidence it wouldn't be covered up. Why people on here act like they were born yesterday is beyond me. Read between the lines. 
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 1:59am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

If they really wanted to play for us they could make themselves known to the relevant people within the FAI.

so the onus is on the player to contact the national association? is this the same policy towards english born players? it’s ridiculous that we are not pro actively looking at irish players born in the Northern territory.

Edited by mully_85 - 07 Jun 2023 at 2:00am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 2:11am
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

so the onus is on the player to contact the national association? is this the same policy towards english born players? it’s ridiculous that we are not pro actively looking at irish players born in the Northern territory.

You leave our players alone mate

13 Crocodile Dundee Facts That Come From A Land Down Under

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 2:12am
If Cannon is available - if - and Kenny doesn’t cap him vs. Gibraltar, then, it’s on Kenny. If the lad turns it down, off with him. 

Edited by Fitz - 07 Jun 2023 at 2:13am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 3:40am
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

If Cannon is available - if - and Kenny doesn’t cap him vs. Gibraltar, then, it’s on Kenny. If the lad turns it down, off with him. 
If fit and willing, he should be starting alongside Ferguson against Greece. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 7:56am

I'm just saying it's an avenue the player can pursue. These players don't have to play for NI if they want to play for the ROI. Nobody is putting a gun to their head.

The FAI are usually quite good at this to be fair.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 8:59am
The players have to want to switch first and foremost. The player must submit a request to FIFA if they want to switch associations and the FAI facilitates that. Its becomming a generational thing now, there's fellas that wouldn't entertain the possibility of putting on that jersey and there's a younger crew now that just want to play football at the highest standard regardless of politics or their background.

I don't know how proactive the FAI are but a lot of young lads are finding it an easier path via the IFA route.
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 2:16pm
i think what it really boils down to is the question of why players born in the 6 need to “switch”. there should be structures in place where the options are open playing for Fai teams from
the get go, the exact same way players from the 26 are afforded.

the fact that the IFA has basically a monopoly on northern players is madness. something big has to change 
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 2:52pm
They only need to "switch" if they already played competitivly underage from the North. There's nothing stopping them playing for us from the get-go. They have the same eligibility as any lad born in the Republic.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 3:22pm

i think what it really boils down to is the question of why players born in the 6 need to “switch”. there should be structures in place where the options are open playing for Fai teams from
the get go, the exact same way players from the 26 are afforded.

the fact that the IFA has basically a monopoly on northern players is madness. something big has to change 

A Nation Once Again - One League, One team. Unfortunately, I'd say we could still have 2 teams on the island even if a United Ireland came about, such is the lack of vision in both the IFA and the FAI, each protecting their own interests to the detriment of the beautiful game across the island. In my view the FAI should look at inviting a Belfast team to participate in the League of Ireland, a la Derry City, that might help as regards the player situation. There is also an obvious issue with European qualification, given each association has 4 spots.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 55>
  Share Topic