You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 55>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 5:52pm
Hard to see anyone displacing the current England strikers anytine soon. Kane and Toney have plenty of years left in them.

Hard not to like our young striking ootions now. We really need to be thinking about getting away from a back 5 soon. 
Sponsored Links

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 5:53pm
Of course he should be called up on form bar Ferguson he should be in it’s as simple as that he knows where the goal is give him a chance nothing to lose.
Most of the others aren’t pulling up any trees can have no complaints 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Hard to see anyone displacing the current England strikers anytine soon. Kane and Toney have plenty of years left in them.

Hard not to like our young striking ootions now. We really need to be thinking about getting away from a back 5 soon. 

Why - that's not going to get us any more strikers on the pitch? Fewer if anything. It should be more of a back three against some teams anyway.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Why - that's not going to get us any more strikers on the pitch? Fewer if anything. It should be more of a back three against some teams anyway.
Because it does not play to our strengths. Its not just about playing 1 or 2 strikers. It is how those strikers play and positionally there are far better systems for our strikers. Like even a narrow 442 4231 are far better systems now. Away from home agaianst top sides maybe we can sit in or find ways to control more ball 343 is even better for that. But 5 at the back against similar or worse teams is insanity and we have to show faith in our attacking talent. 

There are unbalanced 433's that easily get our best on the pitch or allow us to dominate "minnows"

532 is so stupidly negative against most teams in an attacking sense. Smart against France though

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 6:20pm
We'd get overrun in midfield against most teams playing 4-4-2 anyway. We just don't have the quality in midfield for that. 4-2-3-1 might have something going for it, as we can pack midfield a bit more, but it means only one out and out striker. That's a lot of pressure to put on Ferguson at 18, an unfair amount really.

We don't have the full backs to play these systems anyway, other than against complete minnows. 3-5-2 suits us in terms of our strength at centre back, our wing backs and getting two strikers on the field. It only needs to be 5-3-2 against top seeds like France.

Edited by You Tell Me - 07 Apr 2023 at 6:21pm
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 7:00pm
this loan has really lit the fuse on cannon
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 7:03pm
Is his loan permanent to the end of the season? Everton have about 3 goals scored across all their strikers? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Is his loan permanent to the end of the season? Everton have about 3 goals scored across all their strikers? 

Do you mean can Everton call him back? No a loan can only be cancelled or recalled during a transfer window.

Edited by J89 - 07 Apr 2023 at 7:07pm
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 7:23pm

We'd get overrun in midfield against most teams playing 4-4-2 anyway. We just don't have the quality in midfield for that. 4-2-3-1 might have something going for it, as we can pack midfield a bit more, but it means only one out and out striker. That's a lot of pressure to put on Ferguson at 18, an unfair amount really.

We don't have the full backs to play these systems anyway, other than against complete minnows. 3-5-2 suits us in terms of our strength at centre back, our wing backs and getting two strikers on the field. It only needs to be 5-3-2 against top seeds like France.
352 and 532 are the same thing. You defend in 532 and attack in a 352/3412/3421.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

352 and 532 are the same thing. You defend in 532 and attack in a 352/3412/3421.

They're not the same thing. A 5-3-2 is a flat back five where two of the five are effectively full backs. 3-5-2 is a back three with wing backs that are effectively midfielders, who then drop back when out of possession.

When people say we need to move to a back four against non top tier teams they're basically adding in an extra defender when they think they're taking one away.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Do you mean can Everton call him back? No a loan can only be cancelled or recalled during a transfer window.

Yeah that answers it J89 Thumbs Up
It would damage this forums' reputation
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 9:54pm

Narrow 442 is not an old fashioned 442 that gets over run in midfield at all.
It plays like a 4222. We actually have the players for that.

532 puts far far more pressure on the front lads than a 4231. 4231 offers wing support and our current system really doesn't. The narrow end of the attacking formation makes it more difficult for midfielders too especially when they aren't top quality. Teams who play this formation need bombing full backs and high technical quality midfielders which we don't have. We are capping ourselves.

The fact is we don't want to have the seniors play 5 at the back and every other age group with something close to 433/4231 424!! at u17 at times.

Kenny wanted everyone playing the same football day 1 and he is not really sticking to it.
I understand why but now there is an argument that we are actually best at the top end of the field and there is good reason to try get the best out of it. We can still play a 3x2 in the build up. so not a massive leap away.

Edited by Nialler - 07 Apr 2023 at 10:04pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 4:16pm
Scores again. Now the third top Irish goalscorer in the Championship despite only going to Preston in January.

He has pretty much single handedly turned Preston's season around.

Edited by You Tell Me - 10 Apr 2023 at 4:19pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 4:16pm
Scores again, Parrott also playing very well today. Great to see.
We're decent enough..
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Watching myself, Parrott's movement and link up play has been very impressive.

Sometimes it feels like he's a step ahead of his team mates and they haven't the ability to play him through when he's making good runs.

Edited by Maccatacca - 10 Apr 2023 at 4:26pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Watching myself, Parrott's movement and link up play has been very impressive.

Sometimes it feels like he's a step ahead of his team mates and they haven't the ability to play him through him he's making good runs.

He just looks a lot more like himself than he has at times this year. He's got very good technique but at times this year he's been very loose, which is probably down to having no confidence. He's been confident today and has played some nice football.

Cannon is a real poacher, picks up great positions. Could be a lovely strike partner for Ferguson who likes to drop deep a bit more.
We're decent enough..
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 5:31pm
Considering it’s his first loan he’s only turned 20 and he’s in a team who have badly struggled for goals it’s a really positive sign. 

Would still be a question mark will he switch back to England for me. If he does he does. Looks a promising striker and with Everton having no striker of note besides the injury prone Calvert Lewin so there’s an opportunity.

Edited by kevin100 - 10 Apr 2023 at 5:33pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 5:41pm
Or common sense (often lacking in Irish football I accept) prevails and we just cap him in June and that's the end of it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 55>
  Share Topic