You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 55>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

i think what it really boils down to is the question of why players born in the 6 need to “switch”. there should be structures in place where the options are open playing for Fai teams from
the get go, the exact same way players from the 26 are afforded.

the fact that the IFA has basically a monopoly on northern players is madness. something big has to change 

A Nation Once Again - One League, One team. Unfortunately, I'd say we could still have 2 teams on the island even if a United Ireland came about, such is the lack of vision in both the IFA and the FAI, each protecting their own interests to the detriment of the beautiful game across the island. In my view the FAI should look at inviting a Belfast team to participate in the League of Ireland, a la Derry City, that might help as regards the player situation. There is also an obvious issue with European qualification, given each association has 4 spots.

IFA would never approve this which they would have to do. 
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

i think what it really boils down to is the question of why players born in the 6 need to “switch”. there should be structures in place where the options are open playing for Fai teams from

the fact that the IFA has basically a monopoly on northern players is madness. something big has to change 

A Nation Once Again - One League, One team. Unfortunately, I'd say we could still have 2 teams on the island even if a United Ireland came about, such is the lack of vision in both the IFA and the FAI, each protecting their own interests to the detriment of the beautiful game across the island. In my view the FAI should look at inviting a Belfast team to participate in the League of Ireland, a la Derry City, that might help as regards the player situation. There is also an obvious issue with European qualification, given each association has 4 spots.

And therein lies the problem, the IFA and the FAI are never going to agree on anything full stop and nobody is going to invest serious money in developing an all Ireland League while that scenario remains.
Idah Dream!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 3:30pm

And therein lies the problem, the IFA and the FAI are never going to agree on anything full stop and nobody is going to invest serious money in developing an all Ireland League while that scenario remains.

But the IFA are right to protect their league
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 3:51pm

But the IFA are right to protect their league

But their league, just like ours is going nowhere fast! An all island League (with a binding agreement from UEFA to continue to allow 4 representatives from each of the associations qualify for Europe - there could be some kind of internal mechanism for each of the associations to award their places - I assume the Dutch/Belgians must have had some such kind of arrangement when they were looking to merge, so it cant be impossible) is potentially a way forward. There are roughly 7mn on the island now (5 down here and another 2 up there) - compare that to Scotland's population (5.5mn). There's no reason why we couldnt build a competitive successful league structure with a bit of vision (and investment).
Idah Dream!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 5:26pm
There's a lot of reasons.

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 7:34pm
 https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-tom-cannon-preston-breaking-27072165

Preston ideally want him on loan again next season.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 07 Jun 2023 at 7:47pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 7:39pm
Not surprised and I'd say a few more championship clubs will be after him. He's probably better off out on loan as Everton will likely be a sh*t show again next season imo. Be lucky to avoid relegation again. Likely fourth choice if he stays at Everton and if one of the experienced strikers leave they'll surely want to replace them with another experienced striker if possible.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 9:14am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Not surprised and I'd say a few more championship clubs will be after him. He's probably better off out on loan as Everton will likely be a sh*t show again next season imo. Be lucky to avoid relegation again. Likely fourth choice if he stays at Everton and if one of the experienced strikers leave they'll surely want to replace them with another experienced striker if possible.

Much as I'm not a fan of the Bitters, I'd expect Dyche (who I'm also not fan of) with a full pre-season and a few of his own players brought in to have them in better shape next season. He'll build a functional well organised team that are difficult to beat and he should keep them away from the relegation scrap. 

In Cannon's favour is the fact that he's the type of striker Dyche likes, big, strong lad, but the problem is, as you say, that he's unlikely to trust him as even the 2nd choice at his age, so I'd agree a loan would be best from our pov (defection fears aside). Why not Preston again, at least he's familiar with the set up there and it clearly suits him plus their form in the 2nd half of the season was decent, they could easily trouble the play off spots again and there continues to be a decent Irish presence at the club..
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 10:25am
Wouldn't necessarily say he's a typical Dyche striker, he's about 5'11 and not overly robust. His game is mostly based around pace and playing on the shoulder of the last defender.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 10:52am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Wouldn't necessarily say he's a typical Dyche striker, he's about 5'11 and not overly robust. His game is mostly based around pace and playing on the shoulder of the last defender.

Looked good in the air and willing to take defenders on physically in the handful of games I have watched. Looked very strong for a 20yo up against experienced Championship defenders. Looks like a central target striker to me.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 10:17pm
Linked with a transfer to England in the S*n.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Let him slide. But some of the Ireland setup seriously need to wake up.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Theres almost more photos than there are paragraphs in that "article" and 3/4 of it is about Rice and Grealish with old quotes from Martin O'Neill LOL

Such a load of bollocks.

If there was anything to it, they wouldn't be running the "story" Saturday evening an hour before the Champions League final either.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 10:55pm
That Tracker account on twitter saying he has deleted Irish related appearances stuff from his Instagram

If he is gone then just be gone. Not more of this death by 1000 cuts sh*te
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 11:01pm
Yep he is gone then.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 11:04pm
Pretty confident he’ll never make it with England! If he does choose to play for their 21s he shouldn’t be allowed to come back and play for us in a few years when he realises he’s not good enough for England. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 11:04pm
Won’t get near England 
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 11:07pm
Ah well thats probably that then. Won't pay him any more attention.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 55>
  Share Topic