You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 55>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Is this the first little hint that Cannon will abscond to them across the water in the hope one day he may be good un oeuf.

Maybe his tonsils want to represent the country they were born in?
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:53am
With Everton staying in EPL  I wonder will Cannon have potential in getting any regulary game time with Everton next season? Or is a loan move best at this point for him to get more game time? or keep him at Everton for the first half and loan him out in the new year?
If he has a good preseason season he could be a squad player from them. He has attributes that Dyche likes in a player with good workrate and a good engine too. Add his pace and eye for a goal.
He has Calvert-Lewis(who is injury prone) Maupay and Simms a head of him in the peaking order. But there is potential that Dyche will sign another forward too. I'm sure Dyche will be looking at a bit of a clear out of dead wood in the Everton squad to bring in his own type of player.
I hope Cannon is involved in the June squad for the Turkey trip and the June matches. If he continues his development next season if would be better off having him settled into the squad and systems now.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 12:19pm
Think we'll be seeing Cannon going back out on loan unless he really impresses Dyche in pre season.

Had a good half season at Preston scoring 8 goals and got himself an assist in 20 games. Took him awhile to get going but once he got his first goal he scored those 8 goals in Preston's final 13 league games.

Think he's shown enough for one of those promotion chasing championship teams to possibly take a chance on him next season.

What's the rivalry between Preston and Blackburn like because Blackburn would likely be in the market for a new CF this summer.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 12:35pm
Doubtful whether Dyche will be kept on or not.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Everton are definitely not in a position to be turning their noses up at Dyche. More so a question of does he want to stay on. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Think we'll be seeing Cannon going back out on loan unless he really impresses Dyche in pre season.

Had a good half season at Preston scoring 8 goals and got himself an assist in 20 games. Took him awhile to get going but once he got his first goal he scored those 8 goals in Preston's final 13 league games.

Think he's shown enough for one of those promotion chasing championship teams to possibly take a chance on him next season.

What's the rivalry between Preston and Blackburn like because Blackburn would likely be in the market for a new CF this summer.

Norwich,Blackburn even Middlesborough will all be looking for strikers. Cannon an obvious target for those sort of clubs with play off aspirations at worst.  

Everton wouldn’t be very wise to turn their noses up at Cannon either mind. No depth in the position Calvert Lewin is crocked. 

Edited by kevin100 - 29 May 2023 at 1:23pm
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Yeah, definitely another Championship loan next season. He's done very well in his first run of senior games, but only scored vs bottom half Championship teams (except Swansea, who finished 10th).

Next logical step would be a full season, where he hopefully builds up to scoring vs pretty much any team. Definitely isn't ready for a PL relegation battle.

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Dont see that at all tbh - Cannon is competing with Ferguson and Idah - he is the main central target striker, he is not a support striker. No way Ireland start with a front two of Ferguson/Idah and Cannon imo. Its Ferguson/Idah/Cannon with Obafemi/Ogbene/Parrott. I have no problem if Cannon is called up, he should be in ahead of Keane and Parrott at a minimum, but I'd prefer to see him starting games at U21 level rather than being a squad filler at senior level.

There's nothing for Cannon to learn playing for Crawford in some meaningless friendlies. He's much better off with the seniors, and he's more than earned a cap at this point anyway.

Hopefully he's going to stick with us, though I am a bit skeptical of the tonsillitis. I won't get excited about him until I see him on the pitch for the seniors.

Ferguson & Idah can definitely play the deeper link up roles. In fact Idah's best moments for Ireland have been his hold up/link up play. I definitely think Cannon can play along side either.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 10:37am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Everton are definitely not in a position to be turning their noses up at Dyche. More so a question of does he want to stay on. 

It depends on what the club's vision is. Dyche is a good manager up to a certain point.

But Everton will want to get back to the levels they showed under Martínez (5th), Koeman (7th) and Ancelotti (10th). A top half club again, basically. 

They have a full summer to get that right now. Draw up a 5 year plan. Target players who suit that vision. They have wasted a lot of money on transfers post Moyes. That has to improve.

Maybe one more season of Dyche wouldn't be the worst though. Aim for 45 points next season.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 11:51am
I think getting rid of Dyche is the last thing they should be doing right now. If he stays he'll get them back to a comfortable mid table position, if they change again they risk another relegation battle next year. There may come a time where they want to move on from him once they've stabilised a bit and maybe want to push on and challenge for Europe. But this isn't the time for it.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

It depends on what the club's vision is. Dyche is a good manager up to a certain point.

But Everton will want to get back to the levels they showed under Martínez (5th), Koeman (7th) and Ancelotti (10th). A top half club again, basically. 

They have a full summer to get that right now. Draw up a 5 year plan. Target players who suit that vision. They have wasted a lot of money on transfers post Moyes. That has to improve.

Maybe one more season of Dyche wouldn't be the worst though. Aim for 45 points next season.

I can see what your saying when your framing it that way. Everton need to learn to walk again before they can run. 40 points next year should be their primary target. 

I wouldn’t be optimistic they can achieve it tbh. Think they will struggle badly again.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think getting rid of Dyche is the last thing they should be doing right now. If he stays he'll get them back to a comfortable mid table position, if they change again they risk another relegation battle next year. There may come a time where they want to move on from him once they've stabilised a bit and maybe want to push on and challenge for Europe. But this isn't the time for it.

If they sign a reliable ST (DCL is too injury prone these days) and a wide player or two, there's the makings of a decent team. 

They probably need to add another CB. Maybe even two. Keane and Godfrey are too inconsistent to start regularly. Holgate isn't good enough. But at least Branthwaite had good loan. He should be in the mix.

Lonergan, Begović, Mina, Davies and Townsend's contacts are up this summer. Vinagre and Coady's loan deals end soon. Dyche doesn't seem to rate Coady, so I doubt they'll tigger their option to buy.

I assume they'll offer Coleman a new 1 year deal. They should try to sell Holgate and Maupay to raise some funds. Take what they can get. Maupay isn't terrible, but it hasn't worked out. Cannon might get a chance. 

ST/DCL/Cannon

McNeil/Gray-----------------------------------------RW/Gray

Iwobi/McNeil-----Doucouré/Onana

Gueye/Garner

Mykolenko/Godfrey----Tarkowski/Brantwaithe---CB/Keane----Patterson/Coleman

Pickford/GK (backup)

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 1:56pm
English journalist Alan Nixon saying on Twitter that he understands Cannon will be in the full Ireland squad.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 1:57pm
Full deserved too.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

English journalist Alan Nixon saying on Twitter that he understands Cannon will be in the full Ireland squad.

He's really shot to prominence, hope he bangs one in and the commentator screams CANNON BAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 2:29pm
We'd have to get Timmy McCarthy on commentary for that.
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 4:36pm
Good stuff. Though knowing Kenny he won't get a minute due to this mythical strategy of most players needing a camp without playing to bed in. Confused

Edited by SC92 - 30 May 2023 at 4:37pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 5:11pm
It seems pretty obvious now that the lad is keeping his options open for the time-being.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 5:26pm
I think, whether that is the case or not, that's how it's going to be seen now unless he's called up to the seniors and capped in a competitive game.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 55>
  Share Topic