You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 55>
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patriotic_spunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 7:54am
Coventry only has an Irish passport, so I think he is actually tied to us now

https://www.the42.ie/conor-coventry-ireland-5817554-Jul2022/

Sponsored Links

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 8:49pm
Good finish from Tom today.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by patriotic_spunk patriotic_spunk wrote:

Coventry only has an Irish passport, so I think he is actually tied to us now

He's still a British citizen from birth though as he was born in England. So not tied at this point.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Good finish from Tom today.

Looked good playing the lone striker role especially when Festy got himself sent off. Think himself and Ferguson could work well together and two big lads also to be playing in a front two.
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 11:38pm
looks can be deceiving but he looked full onboard today. was gee-ing up the crowd on numerous occasions first half 
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 1:52pm
Can we please learn from the Rice & Grealish lessons and just get Cannon a Snr cap? Still am not over Rice getting away from us when we had control of the situation.
StuttgartKY View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuttgartKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

looks can be deceiving but he looked full onboard today. was gee-ing up the crowd on numerous occasions first half 

Rice never done that…
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

Can we please learn from the Rice & Grealish lessons and just get Cannon a Snr cap? Still am not over Rice getting away from us when we had control of the situation.

No. You either want to play for us or you dont. We've a wealth of attacking options that want to be there and play for their country. Why should he take away those 4 competitive caps from them that would need to tie him down?
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

No. You either want to play for us or you dont. We've a wealth of attacking options that want to be there and play for their country. Why should he take away those 4 competitive caps from them that would need to tie him down?
If he’s performing better in the same league as the majority of his competition .. then well..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Agree. If he wants to play for us he will. Simple
I love beer gardens
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Agree. If he wants to play for us he will. Simple

Agreed, and he says he does and shows up whenever called so I see no issue.
If he keeps going as he is he'll legit be in the senior squad before this Euros campaign is out.
Dunne23 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 4:12pm

In fairness to O'Neill I don't think he had control in the Rice situation. From his first to last cap I don't think there was ever a situation where he could have been capped competitively, maybe I'm worng?
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Dunne23 Dunne23 wrote:

In fairness to O'Neill I don't think he had control in the Rice situation. From his first to last cap I don't think there was ever a situation where he could have been capped competitively, maybe I'm worng?

Think the night when we played Moldova he was playing for West Ham at that point he easily could have been cap and wouldn’t have turned it down. My interpretation I could be wrong.

Grealish for sure was a lost cause. 
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 6:28pm
That's correct - I believe I pointed it out at the time, and it's grown legs to say Rice was in our senior squad at the time (which he wasn't but should have been). 

But he'd had 5 PL appearances for West Ham in the preceding months and was clearly a player, and by all means should have been in our squad for a game like that. 

At 2-0 up at home to Moldova, that was the time to play Rice. 

Grealish wasn't a lost cause.  He was all-in and actually has a strong Irish identity, more-so than Rice, until his performance in Wembley against Liverpool, after which England suddenly became very interested. Before that, he had no serious interest from England.  

We had a long time to cap him, and I believe we should have capped him in the 7-0 Gibraltar game when he was playing out of his skin for Notts County, and anyone could see he was a talent.  Instead, we put Whelan on.

Anyway, it's been discussed ad nauseum et infinitum.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 27 Mar 2023 at 6:36pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 1:47pm
Cracking finish just. 👏 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 1:48pm
If he keeps this form up he should be called into the June squad on merit. Simple really
I love beer gardens
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

If he keeps this form up he should be called into the June squad on merit. Simple really

If he keeps scoring at this rate he'll be starting beside Fergsuon.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 1:55pm
Very smart finish, as most of his goals seem to be. Not many young strikers do this well in the Championship on a first loan out. Assuming he'd have been willing to be involved it was a big missed opportunity not having him in with the seniors in March.

Puts one on a plate for Delap now, but Delap blows the chance.

Edited by You Tell Me - 01 Apr 2023 at 2:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 55>
  Share Topic