You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 55>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

You cannae win anything with kids.

If they're good enough, they're old enough. 

Cannon is our in-form striker at present, along with Ferguson arguably.  He's the right age-profile and should be in on merit. 

Hodge should probably be in too, as our only midfielder with PL appearances.  Personally, I'd have him in rather than playing a mickey-mouse U21 friendly in Cark. Admittedly, dropping out of match-day squads recently hasn't helped his case.

Time enough for them sure ye'd all be at their throats if they came in and played averagely. None are close to the senior team yet on merit, when they get there fine, for now I'd like to see a strong U21 side. Once Cannon and Hodge have 30 senior games under their belt, maybe then you start to see if you can make room in the senior squad for them.

Why's that John? Parrot or Idah had no where near 30 snr games before they made their snr international debut.

I couldn't be arsed looking into it but I'm pretty sure there is a very long list of internationals who also did not meet that criteria before being called into the senior squad.

Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:05pm
He's about 2 goalless games away from being a write off, good luck to him.
We're decent enough..
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Grow up ffs ye wingnut.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:23pm

So Parrott's lack of goals for 3 Championship clubs is an aberration?

He'll probably be playing with Shamrock Rovers in 2025
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

So Parrott's lack of goals for 3 Championship clubs is an aberration?

He'll probably be playing with Shamrock Rovers in 2025

Stick to the sh*t puns mate LOL
We're decent enough..
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 12:30pm

He's about 2 tattoos away from being a write off, good luck to him.

fixed that for you bud Wink
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Cannon is our in-form striker at present, along with Ferguson arguably.  He's the right age-profile and should be in on merit. 

Hodge should probably be in too, as our only midfielder with PL appearances.  Personally, I'd have him in rather than playing a mickey-mouse U21 friendly in Cark. Admittedly, dropping out of match-day squads recently hasn't helped his case.

Time enough for them sure ye'd all be at their throats if they came in and played averagely. None are close to the senior team yet on merit, when they get there fine, for now I'd like to see a strong U21 side. Once Cannon and Hodge have 30 senior games under their belt, maybe then you start to see if you can make room in the senior squad for them.

Why's that John? Parrot or Idah had no where near 30 snr games before they made their snr international debut.

I couldn't be arsed looking into it but I'm pretty sure there is a very long list of internationals who also did not meet that criteria before being called into the senior squad.

Both had played 10 plus games for our U21s and multiple times at other age grades. There's time enough yet for Ebosele, who probably has the biggest shout imo, Hodge and Cannon. A good campaign with the U21s as the main men will do them no harm. If they start next season playing regularly, then they can be considered for senior squad's at that point along with Coventry and Azaz who also have done a lot more than them up to this point.
Idah Dream!
Tweetering View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweetering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 10:05pm
Mark Lawrenson said in an interview recently, that Parrot won't succeed at top level, because he has no pace. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Tweetering Tweetering wrote:

Mark Lawrenson said in an interview recently, that Parrot won't succeed at top level, because he cant score goals. 

Fixed

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 1:22pm

In an Ideal world that's what you'd do alright, but the reality is that countries are getting seriously aggressive with dual eligibility callups now. 

Everyone mentions Wales but in this international window alone Cameroon have called up an English born lad from Chelsea Under 23s who has never played a senior club game, Australia have called up a Scottish born lad from Man City who's only senior football is a few games for Ross County, Jamaica have called up an English born lad from Wolves who has never played a senior club game and Canada have called up another English born player from Brighton who has played one game in League 2 and a few cup games. Most of these are serious international teams, not no-hoper minnows.

It's absolutely mental, but yet there's an element of almost having to join in to keep up. I don't think we'd be capping any of the examples mentioned above, but if we have a dual eligible lad scoring a few in the Championship at 20, we probably need to be calling him in ahead of time now to get him involved and invested and - provided he's happy - capped in a competitive game. Especially when we have two competitive games against Gibraltar coming up. It's a bit cynical but that seems to be where international football is at now.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

In an Ideal world that's what you'd do alright, but the reality is that countries are getting seriously aggressive with dual eligibility callups now. 

Everyone mentions Wales but in this international window alone Cameroon have called up an English born lad from Chelsea Under 23s who has never played a senior club game, Australia have called up a Scottish born lad from Man City who's only senior football is a few games for Ross County, Jamaica have called up an English born lad from Wolves who has never played a senior club game and Canada have called up another English born player from Brighton who has played one game in League 2 and a few cup games. Most of these are serious international teams, not no-hoper minnows.

It's absolutely mental, but yet there's an element of almost having to join in to keep up. I don't think we'd be capping any of the examples mentioned above, but if we have a dual eligible lad scoring a few in the Championship at 20, we probably need to be calling him in ahead of time now to get him involved and invested and - provided he's happy - capped in a competitive game. Especially when we have two competitive games against Gibraltar coming up. It's a bit cynical but that seems to be where international football is at now.
Well if I was the Israel manager, I'd be talking to Azaz and he's 22, so we don't have the luxury of playing him at U21 level. As far as we know, Cannon, Hodge and Ebosele have happily accepted their U21 call ups, so I don't see the need just yet. Cannon could catch the Irish disease and not score again this season, I just don't see it!
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 8:07pm

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Well if I was the Israel manager, I'd be talking to Azaz and he's 22, so we don't have the luxury of playing him at U21 level. As far as we know, Cannon, Hodge and Ebosele have happily accepted their U21 call ups, so I don't see the need just yet. Cannon could catch the Irish disease and not score again this season, I just don't see it!

Azaz is tied to us, he played a competitive game after the age of 21.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 9:55pm
He is definitely not tied to us. Whether he is still eligible for Israel or not is unclear though.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:28pm
See this is the question I have - does an U21 cap after yer 21's b'day cap-tie a player (which would cap-tie Azaz as he was 22 when he lined out for us v Israel)?
Or does it need to be a senior cap to suffice?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:35pm
The simplest answer I can give is that, in cases where the player isn't born in Ireland, it needs to be a senior cap to tie them. Finn Azaz is 100% still eligible for England, albeit almost certainly not on their radar. Whether he's still eligible for Israel or not depends on a number of things that we don't have the info about to know either way.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

See this is the question I have - does an U21 cap after yer 21's b'day cap-tie a player (which would cap-tie Azaz as he was 22 when he lined out for us v Israel)?
Or does it need to be a senior cap to suffice?
I'd like to know this also. Is Coventry similarly tied to us now or not?
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 6:42am
Not 100% sure on the new rules but think Coventry can still switch but only to England because he had his passport for them before he was 22. Can't gain a new nationality and go play for them now.

If Finn Azaz hasn't got an Israeli passport he's ineligible for them now I'd say but could play for England. Then again might only need to qualify for a passport rather than actually have it. New rules are confusing but was mentioned that neither Smallbone or Coventry are tied to us just because they played a competitive U21s game at 22.

Edited by J89 - 22 Mar 2023 at 6:57am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 7:31am
J89 has it pretty much on the money. None of those English born lads - Coventry, Smallbone or Azaz - are tied to us. All can play for England. Azaz might not now be eligible for Israel though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 55>
  Share Topic