You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 55>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 3:36pm
Let's face it the likes of Parrott, Idah and a few others were hyped since the start as we were desperate to find the next Shane Long, let alone Robbie. Idah can't score with his granny but is a good lad by all accounts. This time next year we will be saying the same about Cannon I reckon. We may never have another half decent striker.
Sponsored Links

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 4:15pm
I smell a saga developing with this one. Also just looking at the squad it means it is likely Keane, Hogan or Collins are getting picked.

I am not at all confident in tomorrows squad selection.

Of course there is a chance Kenny called him up. questions from media should be interesting.

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

I smell a saga developing with this one. Also just looking at the squad it means it is likely Keane, Hogan or Collins are getting picked.

I am not at all confident in tomorrows squad selection.

Of course there is a chance Kenny called him up. questions from media should be interesting.

Hes just another flavour of the month, theres always one when International windows come around and always a big clamor over nothing. It was Hodge the last window. Its Cannon now.

Our 5 strikers will be Ferguson, Obafemi, Parrott, Idah and Ogbene.

Collins wont be within an asses roar of the squad and hasn't been for 2 years since he was last picked.

Keane and Hogan have some credit in the bank being our only 2 strikers hitting double digits but cant see them making it based on their showings to date in green.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:24pm
He is def not a flavour of the month. He is a 20 year old striker that has a lot of strings to his bow. He is strong and quick good in the air and box and not sure you have seen but a brilliant ball striker. There is absolutely no way we should watch this lad develop from the sidelines. He should be in the senior squad this week.  Preston aren't worlds away from the playoffs and he has been brilliant for them. I don't think anyone was screaming for Hodge either. 
He is performing better than at least 2 if not 3 players you list. He is also younger than them.. i meant one of Hogan, Keane and Collins not all 3

Edited by Nialler - 15 Mar 2023 at 6:27pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:28pm
He's been so good he's lost his place and now there are better players ahead of him

The PNE fans don't rate him at all.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He's been so good he's lost his place and now there are better players ahead of him

The Cannon thread is far more scathing towards him as they draw comparisons between the two.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He’s hasn’t started a match in one whole game LOL
El Puto Amo
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 7:20pm
Ridiculous Cannon is not in the senior squad. 

Probably our most in-form striker at present, playing with obvious confidence and a real presence up-front.  Pick the lads who are doing well NOW, not two years ago.  Cannon has done enough on merit to be involved at this stage, in a position that is hardly crying out with quality.

So what's the craic here - if he turns out to be really good, he'll go with England, but if he's just bang-average he'll stick with us?

Or is Kenny deliberately not picking him for a squad (despite keeping our actual striker out of their club team)?
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Probably our most in-form striker at present, playing with obvious confidence and a real presence up-front.  Pick the lads who are doing well NOW, not two years ago.  Cannon has done enough on merit to be involved at this stage, in a position that is hardly crying out with quality.

So what's the craic here - if he turns out to be really good, he'll go with England, but if he's just bang-average he'll stick with us?

Or is Kenny deliberately not picking him for a squad (despite keeping our actual striker out of their club team)?

That is kinda why I smell a saga. I am just wondering have they tried to call him up or are they feeling him out and not sure where the lad stands. He may well be totally committed... but maybe discussions will be had in camp this time or they have already.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 7:25pm

Three weeks ago not one person would have been calling for his inclusion.

Relax yourself, Parrott is ahead of him due to doing well for us.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 7:34pm
The argument to be made for squad inclusion on this occasion is with Idah. It's not realistic to expect Kenny to drop Parrott given he has scored some big goals (albeit mostly in friendlies) to keep Kenny in a job or stave off total humiliation.

There is no reason for Cannon not to be included ahead of Idah.
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:14pm
Not a word on TCs socials about the call up  ?

Believe Festy & Okoflex are the only other two not to mark it either
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Not a word on TCs socials about the call up  ?

Believe Festy & Okoflex are the only other two not to mark it either
Have no worries with Okoflex. I don't think he has anything upstairs that will lead him to making it in football long term tbh.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

The argument to be made for squad inclusion on this occasion is with Idah. It's not realistic to expect Kenny to drop Parrott given he has scored some big goals (albeit mostly in friendlies) to keep Kenny in a job or stave off total humiliation.

There is no reason for Cannon not to be included ahead of Idah.

Cannon has played less than 10 senior games in his entire career. The absolute state of these forums. Cannon will be the main man for the U21s, Hodge will be the captain, Ebosele will be a starter. If and when they progress in their club careers, they can be promoted. I dont get the constant carping tbh. 

Edited by John Nice - 15 Mar 2023 at 10:10pm
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:17pm
You cannae win anything with kids.

If they're good enough, they're old enough. 

Cannon is our in-form striker at present, along with Ferguson arguably.  He's the right age-profile and should be in on merit. 

Hodge should probably be in too, as our only midfielder with PL appearances.  Personally, I'd have him in rather than playing a mickey-mouse U21 friendly in Cark. Admittedly, dropping out of match-day squads recently hasn't helped his case.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:21pm

You cannae win anything with kids.

If they're good enough, they're old enough. 

Cannon is our in-form striker at present, along with Ferguson arguably.  He's the right age-profile and should be in on merit. 

Hodge should probably be in too, as our only midfielder with PL appearances.  Personally, I'd have him in rather than playing a mickey-mouse U21 friendly in Cark. Admittedly, dropping out of match-day squads recently hasn't helped his case.

Time enough for them sure ye'd all be at their throats if they came in and played averagely. None are close to the senior team yet on merit, when they get there fine, for now I'd like to see a strong U21 side. Once Cannon and Hodge have 30 senior games under their belt, maybe then you start to see if you can make room in the senior squad for them.
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:35pm
This is precisely the logic that has caused us to miss out on excellent and otherwise highly committed dual-eligible players in the past. 

Wait til they're so good that other options come knocking and they have a decision to make.

Nah, instead let's give Hendrick and Hourihane another cap against Latvia - there's so much to learn about what he can do for the team. They are the future after all. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I dont get the constant carping tbh. 

I hate to say it, but I think there is a pivot in focus towards Ferguson, Hodge, Smallbone, and Cannon due to the relative stasis that has taken place in the careers of a number of the young players that we placed our hope in around the time Kenny took the job, and within the first 18 months of Kenny starting the job. The alternative is the lads whose careers are mid-table Championship, and are aged in their mid-late 20s. Thats not the warm fuzzy safety blanket of what might be, its the harsh reality of what is now, and what could be if these batches of youngsters dont make the grade. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 55>
  Share Topic