FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 55>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Think most people will agree come March he will have had more than enough time to make a decision. Should be a straight Yes or No & take it from there. 

I would find that approach quite refreshing. 
If we have a new manager before February, I'd love to see this rolled out:

"Hi Tom, We really like the look of you and would like to get you involved in March. Take a couple of weeks to think about whether you want to play for us and let us know by X date as we'll be naming the squad a week or two later. If you're not sure or would prefer to hold off on a decision then thats no problem but I wont be in a position to consider you for selection in my tenure as I need to forward plan to build a squad with committed players. If you want to have a chat to discuss then I'm more than happy to accommodate but lets do it sooner rather than later. "

Exactly Thumbs Up would be great if he stayed with us but should not be given any longer to make the decision.
Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 11:45am
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Think most people will agree come March he will have had more than enough time to make a decision. Should be a straight Yes or No & take it from there. 

I would find that approach quite refreshing. 
If we have a new manager before February, I'd love to see this rolled out:

"Hi Tom, We really like the look of you and would like to get you involved in March. Take a couple of weeks to think about whether you want to play for us and let us know by X date as we'll be naming the squad a week or two later. If you're not sure or would prefer to hold off on a decision then thats no problem but I wont be in a position to consider you for selection in my tenure as I need to forward plan to build a squad with committed players. If you want to have a chat to discuss then I'm more than happy to accommodate but lets do it sooner rather than later. "
El Puto Amo
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 11:44am
I reckon the next update from Cannon will be that he's concentrating on this club career (he will get a chance to play in the EPL and may end up getting an England call).
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 11:35am
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 11:33am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

A stronger manager personality wise or a manager who is in a better position than Kenny was might close the door on Cannon and tell him to let him know when he decides.

Kenny’s constant need for a good news story left him unable to do that.

Christ SmileSmileSmile
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Realrover Realrover wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I agree rules are rules.  And the rule is if you have a grandparent born in Ireland you can play for Ireland.  Those are the rules so accept them as rules are rules after all 😀

I'm aware of the rules, the point of this discussion is their abuse, a point you seem to conveniently ignore. 

You asked me to codify the rules and I answered. I was hoping for a worthy or educational rebuke but I guess you didn't have any.

Fact is granny rulers are filled with people who don't value an Irish cap, see Ireland as a plan B (or C or D) or merely see Ireland as a way to raise their stock by being an international player, not the attitude I'd want near the team especially at the expense of someone homegrown. FAI abuse the rules by constantly picking these players as well, to the detriment of the team in the long run. 

At the very least there should be a limit to the amount of granny rulers you can have in a squad so countries like Ireland will be forced to produce their own players. It's all quite pathetic really. It has given us a real lack of belief and inferiority complex, among other things. Alas, you seem ok with Ireland being filled with a load of mercenaries with tenuous affinities and links to the country and who don't really care about playing for Ireland in the hope we'll be that little bit better, may as well laugh like a clown so.

What is to stop a player whose parents are born in Ireland to “abuse” the rules as you say under your rules.  

It’s funny that you say rules are rules I.e the players would
Just have to accept them (under your system). But you are not prepared to do the same and accept the current rules.  Double standards.  

The rules currently in place are the same for every nation are also aligned with our rules around citizenship.   If you change the rules it will change for every nation and it will also mean they are not aligned with citizenship.  I.e. a person could get an Irish passport and be an Irish citizen but couldn’t play for Ireland under your rules as they wouldn’t be deemed Irish enough for you. Not a very clever situation to have.   You are just coming across as an angry man shouting at a cloud to be honest just because a few players game the situation for their own benefit.  Also you are putting words in my mouth.  You use the word mercenaries and you are of the view the team is full of mercenaries.  That’s not my view so you associating your view of the world with me is a classic straw man tactic.  

Edited by Baldrick - 05 Jan 2024 at 10:52am
AKA pedantic kunt
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 10:37am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Imagine being offered a job and you leave them hanging for over a year. 

I like the granny rule and I'm fine if a player asks "can you give me a bit of time to mull things over'. But a bit of time should be like a month or two max to talk it over with the family. If by the next window they are still saying they are not sure then leave them to it. Let them come begging to you later on rather than chasing them down.
I'd even come out publicly as a manager and say "The player has said he hasn't made up his mind so im closing the door on that one, we have other players who want to play for us. The door is not locked but it will be up to player if he wants to come back and ask us to reconsider him again'. 

Yeah, that sums it up for me.
Crawford (or even the new senior boss, if Cannon keeps scoring in the Championship) sure to be asked in March and, assuming no change, I'd like them to paraphrase the above.

As for the greater debate about granny-rulers, well, it gives us something to discuss in the long periods between matches Big smile
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 10:26am
Next one of you to post anything in this thread not related to Cannon or the eligibility debate is suspended. Enough is enough. Everyone is fed up with it.

That includes replying to this. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 10:24am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Bunch of cucks on here! If England called him up next window that would end the debate! England is his first choice and we’re clearly a back up plan.

"Cucks" - why am I not surprised you use Andrew Tate speak LOL Literally the most insecure demographic of men who love nothing more than to project that onto people who actually have self-esteem.

Andrew Tate speak? What the f**k are you on about you mentalist?
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 10:21am
A stronger manager personality wise or a manager who is in a better position than Kenny was might close the door on Cannon and tell him to let him know when he decides.

Kenny’s constant need for a good news story left him unable to do that.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 10:10am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I like the granny rule and I'm fine if a player asks "can you give me a bit of time to mull things over'. But a bit of time should be like a month or two max to talk it over with the family. If by the next window they are still saying they are not sure then leave them to it. Let them come begging to you later on rather than chasing them down.
I'd even come out publicly as a manager and say "The player has said he hasn't made up his mind so im closing the door on that one, we have other players who want to play for us. The door is not locked but it will be up to player if he wants to come back and ask us to reconsider him again'. 

Sums it up well for me, leeway both ways. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 10:06am

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 9:37am
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Some players born outside Ireland do have an obvious and genuine sense of connection to Ireland. But I would think they represent a minority who have declared for Ireland. If they wish to play for us fine, but lets not go cap in hand.

Exactly.

I would like to see the change to the existing rule so that decision needs to be make before the age of 21 or something.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Realrover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 3:54am

I agree rules are rules.  And the rule is if you have a grandparent born in Ireland you can play for Ireland.  Those are the rules so accept them as rules are rules after all 😀

I'm aware of the rules, the point of this discussion is their abuse, a point you seem to conveniently ignore. 

You asked me to codify the rules and I answered. I was hoping for a worthy or educational rebuke but I guess you didn't have any.

Fact is granny rulers are filled with people who don't value an Irish cap, see Ireland as a plan B (or C or D) or merely see Ireland as a way to raise their stock by being an international player, not the attitude I'd want near the team especially at the expense of someone homegrown. FAI abuse the rules by constantly picking these players as well, to the detriment of the team in the long run. 

At the very least there should be a limit to the amount of granny rulers you can have in a squad so countries like Ireland will be forced to produce their own players. It's all quite pathetic really. It has given us a real lack of belief and inferiority complex, among other things. Alas, you seem ok with Ireland being filled with a load of mercenaries with tenuous affinities and links to the country and who don't really care about playing for Ireland in the hope we'll be that little bit better, may as well laugh like a clown so.

Edited by Realrover - 05 Jan 2024 at 3:55am
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 11:39pm
If Tom doesnt play for us, hopefully his bigger brother Frank declares for us....he'd be a huge addition 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 10:58pm
Some players born outside Ireland do have an obvious and genuine sense of connection to Ireland. But I would think they represent a minority who have declared for Ireland. If they wish to play for us fine, but lets not go cap in hand.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 10:37pm
Grandparent is just right. You can have a massive pull towards to home county/country of your grandparent and so much so that it could be your preference (I.e. McGeady) or could be that you are proud to represent them in honour of your grandparent if they came along first. 

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 9:59pm

[QUOTE=The O'Shea]Or you could just not pay attention to it rather than denying citizens the right to play for their country, simply because you find it "annoying"...
If they gave a sh*t about playing for the country they wouldn't f**k us around like some do. This desperation from some section of fans who want Ireland to be the side piece of an ungrateful player for a better shot at silverware is beyond me. No pride and no shame it seems from ye. 

So are saying Kilbane, Breen, Grealish, Aldridge,’Lawrenson , Houghton, Stephen Reid, Chris Hughton, Seamus McDonagh and many many more should not have been allowed play for Ireland. 

Just the Granny rulers. Kilbane's parents were Irish and he always wanted to play for Ireland for example.  

Ok tell me how you would like to codify these rules.  It’s only if you parents were born in the country can you play for that country.   Aiden McGeady grandparents were from Donegal and played with Ireland since he 15.  Whereas Jamie O Hara’s Dad was born in Magherafelt.  Also a person is entitled to an Irish passport if their grandparents are born in Ireland.  So you would have Irish citizens who can’t play for Ireland under your rule.  
[/QUOTE

The exact same as the granny rule except it would need to be a parent. McGeady would be unlucky but for every McGeady there's about a dozen Grealish's, Rice's and szmodics' etc. Rules are rules. 

Aye, rules are rules. And the rules of our country state than those with an Irish grandparent can be citizens, equal with all other citizens. FIFA rules similarly mirror this. 

But no, lets disregard all of those rules because Tom Cannon and those like him make you feel a bit anxious. Proper snowflakey if you ask me LOL
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 55>
  Share Topic