FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 55>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 6:22pm
Jim Crawford 'not surprised' as England approach Tom Cannon - Pundit Arena

Nothing really new on the Cannon situation, but I'll post it here anyway if anyone is interested in Jim's thoughts on the issue.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 6:02pm
Ah apologies for simplifying the rules.
The whole "having the nationality of the team you are switching to before playing a match for the other country" thing is key.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

All three are over 21, so a single competitive senior cap would do it in their cases.

The four caps thing is only for players aged 20 and under.

Only flight risk of those three would be Azaz though, because he might still qualify for Israel?

Does he still now qualify for Israel, even though he was born in England? I wouldnt like to lose Finn, I really think he could be the real deal having shown excellent progression year on year and having consistently delivered impressive goal involvement returns. Good stature, reasonably quick, good vision and an eye for goal.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 5:52pm

It won't the same way Smallbone, Coventry, and Azaz can still play for England as they already qualifed to play for England before they turned 21. They just can't gain a new nationality and play for that country.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify J, the likes of Smallbone, Coventry and Azaz now need to be capped 4 times to tie them to us, is that correct?
[/QUOTE]

As YTM said they now only need the one cap as they're gone 21[/QUOTE]

Ok well at least Smallbone should be done this week Smile  

Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

That approach won't work in most cases because most granny rulers become ineligible for us if they play for another country's under 21 team after their 21st birthday. So, if you didn't bring in Hodge or Cannon at a younger age, then they played for England under 21s after their 21st birthdays (which most under 21 players do) then that makes them ineligible for us.

That's interesting as Hodge turns 21 on the 14th of September.
Two days after we play our last match in Sept...but with the next match in October...so D-Day for him is fast approaching.
Festy is 21 in August so the September matches would tie him down.

Again, I am as convinced as can be about these two lads but hey, no harm having it rubber-stamped.

And remember all the furore over Okoflex...he's already 21.

It won't the same way Smallbone, Coventry, and Azaz can still play for England as they already qualifed to play for England before they turned 21. They just can't gain a new nationality and play for that country.

Just to clarify J, the likes of Smallbone, Coventry and Azaz now need to be capped 4 times to tie them to us, is that correct?

As YTM said they now only need the one cap as they're gone 21
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 5:31pm

All three are over 21, so a single competitive senior cap would do it in their cases.

The four caps thing is only for players aged 20 and under.

Only flight risk of those three would be Azaz though, because he might still qualify for Israel?

Edited by You Tell Me - 13 Jun 2023 at 5:33pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

That approach won't work in most cases because most granny rulers become ineligible for us if they play for another country's under 21 team after their 21st birthday. So, if you didn't bring in Hodge or Cannon at a younger age, then they played for England under 21s after their 21st birthdays (which most under 21 players do) then that makes them ineligible for us.

Two days after we play our last match in Sept...but with the next match in October...so D-Day for him is fast approaching.

Again, I am as convinced as can be about these two lads but hey, no harm having it rubber-stamped.

It won't the same way Smallbone, Coventry, and Azaz can still play for England as they already qualifed to play for England before they turned 21. They just can't gain a new nationality and play for that country.

Idah Dream!
Realrover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 5:08pm
Some lads on here actually advocating throwing on a player at the end of a competitive match just to cap tie them. You can't force people play for you through some kind of slight of hand. Is it any wonder other fans laugh at us when you here desperate sh*te like that? 

Deep down some of these fans see the team as an extension of themselves and therefore their own ego so put their own feelings over common sense. I wouldn't be against changing the granny rule system to be honest, we have a tendency to abuse it. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 5:06pm

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 5:05pm

It doesn't work in reverse unfortunately. Hodge playing for Ireland after his 21st wouldn't tie him to us.

Festy I think has Nigerian parents so it wouldn't apply to him either.

That particular rule only generally works against us unfortunately.
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

Why do the likes of Cannon not reject these call ups 2/3 years ago when they are first contacted. That’s the time to be honest and say I believe I’m good enough to play for England so thanks for the call but I’m happy to wait and play for the country of my birth . I’d respect that. I don’t don’t have much time for the likes of Cannon and the way these players have used us . Anyway there’s every chance some of our current batch of young strikers will turn out to be as good as him . 

Cannon is still a kid. No way can you ask a kid 2-3 years even younger to make a life long commitment to one country over another. That's like a child marriage!
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 4:48pm

Edited by Fozz - 13 Jun 2023 at 4:50pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 4:43pm
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 4:37pm
Maybe we are going about it the wrong way. Perhaps we should wait till these lads are 20/21 who may or may not have been capped by England & are no longer getting picked as frequently ot at all in their underage squads. Liam Delap for instance.. say he doesn't progress to the 21's from the 20's (nothing to say he won't) but is still playing at a decent level...approach him. If he switches then he's tied.

What this episode illustrates is that we need investment in the game here as soon as. The 17s have shown what can be done. We cannot rely on heritage players with the eligibility rules as they are. 
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 4:35pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Players should only be selected on merit. 

I couldn’t give a hoot if Cannon chooses England or any other player for that matter.

I never want to see English born players being preferred over home grown players no matter how good they are. 

Bit of a contradiction there like?! What counts as merit then - number of years lived in Ireland?
LOL I thought I must have either read it wrong, or he's on the wind up!
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I'd like to wait for the meeting and until then forget about him. Like if he comes back after summer and says no actually I'm sticking around then I'll welcome him back with open arms. 
If its a case of wanting to wait and see how his career progresses then I'd say "nah good luck". As soon as he plays for England competitively at any level that's him tied isn't it?
"Hi Gaffer, I'm not really sure if I'm English or Irish...when I'm playing sh*te I feel Irish but when I'm playing well, my English identy emerges...can't really explain it"

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 4:26pm
I'd like to wait for the meeting and until then forget about him. Like if he comes back after summer and says no actually I'm sticking around then I'll welcome him back with open arms. 
If its a case of wanting to wait and see how his career progresses then I'd say "nah good luck". As soon as he plays for England competitively at any level that's him tied isn't it?
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 4:24pm
Why do the likes of Cannon not reject these call ups 2/3 years ago when they are first contacted. That’s the time to be honest and say I believe I’m good enough to play for England so thanks for the call but I’m happy to wait and play for the country of my birth . I’d respect that. I don’t don’t have much time for the likes of Cannon and the way these players have used us . Anyway there’s every chance some of our current batch of young strikers will turn out to be as good as him . 

Edited by Liam Green - 13 Jun 2023 at 4:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 55>
  Share Topic