You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U21s - 2025 Campaign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 67>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 1:46pm
Fair enough, I'm not sure he's ready for the Under 21s anyway. 
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 8:30am
Can you watch this game online anywhere? 
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 9:57am
The camp two years ago was shown live on telly so would assume they'll show these games even if it's streamed.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 10:52am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

A fairly eclectic mix of opposition for the Under 21s next month.

Decent mix that. Plenty games for players to bed in and play. Gives the manager an opportunity to give everyone a look in too. 

Would expect Harry Vaughan and Abankwah to move up to the U21s from the 19s. 

Having seen them in action in Wexford, I wouldnt be surprised to see Newcastle's Alex Murphy called up either. Very solid and tidy with a bit of pace. It will obviously be very difficult to break through at Newcastle now, but he look's a real talent. There's a lack of defenders in the U21 set up, although weirdly a lot of very good left backs (Adaramola, Furlong, Roughan) which might work against Murphy.

Vata might have a chance too, although we have a lot of wide options at that age group. McJannet could have a chance also as CM is another position we arent overly well stocked in.

Edited by John Nice - 27 May 2023 at 10:57am
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 10:56am

Fair enough, I'm not sure he's ready for the Under 21s anyway. 

Agreed, we have plenty of options out wide and I'd definitely have Vata ahead of him at this stage in their development. Zefi is clearly hugely talented but his decision making is awful. He's like that kid in the school team who was brilliant but never passed the ball and would huff if he couldnt take every peno/free kick. He has a lot of learning to do if he's to have any kind of career, but the raw talent is certainly there.

Edited by John Nice - 27 May 2023 at 11:00am
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 11:15am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Decent mix that. Plenty games for players to bed in and play. Gives the manager an opportunity to give everyone a look in too. 

Would expect Harry Vaughan and Abankwah to move up to the U21s from the 19s. 

Having seen them in action in Wexford, I wouldnt be surprised to see Newcastle's Alex Murphy called up either. Very solid and tidy with a bit of pace. It will obviously be very difficult to break through at Newcastle now, but he look's a real talent. There's a lack of defenders in the U21 set up, although weirdly a lot of very good left backs (Adaramola, Furlong, Roughan) which might work against Murphy.

Vata might have a chance too, although we have a lot of wide options at that age group. McJannet could have a chance also as CM is another position we arent overly well stocked in.

Didnt realise, but Murphy has been training with the Newcastle senior team in the last few weeks as per the following link -
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dan-ashworth-signing-handed-newcastle-26701908

Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 12:41pm
The 19's were quite poor in their last three matches so doubt many will step up but this camp is a good opportunity to assess some of them if there's gaps in the 21's squad.
Vaughan I like but his stature has to count against him (but looked solid for Hull there so what do I know!).
Vatta certainly looks more ready than Zefi as described above but his recent injury will hold him back.
Abankwah for me the best of them.
Ferizaj seems to have gone backwards at club level which is a shame.

Overall good to have the three matches as the guts of the last qualifying team are gone so we need to know who is where in the pecking order.

Edited by Fozz - 27 May 2023 at 12:42pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

The 19's were quite poor in their last three matches so doubt many will step up but this camp is a good opportunity to assess some of them if there's gaps in the 21's squad.
Vaughan I like but his stature has to count against him (but looked solid for Hull there so what do I know!).
Vatta certainly looks more ready than Zefi as described above but his recent injury will hold him back.
Abankwah for me the best of them.
Ferizaj seems to have gone backwards at club level which is a shame.

Overall good to have the three matches as the guts of the last qualifying team are gone so we need to know who is where in the pecking order.

Thoughts on Murphy and McJannet? I was reasonably impressed with both and given the lack of defensive and central midfield options at U21 level, I wouldnt be surprised to see one or both called up. I'd expect Curtis to retain his place in the U21s also given our lack of options at RB.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 12:51pm
Alex Murphy I would have said will step up and might get a call up to train but has a few lads ahead of him at either CB where he's played for Newcastle and LB.

Roughan is probably first choice LB and second choice LCB. If Crawford wants a left footer at LCB then can't think of others besides Garcia and Roughan.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 12:55pm
Yeah I mean yer loooking at Hodge and Phillips as the best starting two in the centre, with Moran as the #10.
There's a lack of dept behind those two but we didn't see a huge amount of rotation in the last campaign in the centre, with it almost always being Coventry/Kilkenny until Hodge broke in later on.

But as you say we do need some cover there.  It was Kian Leavy who came on as a midfield sub down in Cork last time (for Moran as it turns out) but the central pairing played the 90 minutes.
So who is their cover?
McManus would be a good shot - playing weekly for Bohs and playing well.
McJannet is over in Italy playing U19's so depends how Jim rates that league but he can't be far off.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Yeah I mean yer loooking at Hodge and Phillips as the best starting two in the centre, with Moran as the #10.
There's a lack of dept behind those two but we didn't see a huge amount of rotation in the last campaign in the centre, with it almost always being Coventry/Kilkenny until Hodge broke in later on.

But as you say we do need some cover there.  It was Kian Leavy who came on as a midfield sub down in Cork last time (for Moran as it turns out) but the central pairing played the 90 minutes.
So who is their cover?
McManus would be a good shot - playing weekly for Bohs and playing well.
McJannet is over in Italy playing U19's so depends how Jim rates that league but he can't be far off.

And if Hodge gets a Championship loan in September then he could easily be called up to the seniors. I read good reports about McJannet and the Lecce team he plays for, think they are doing very well at U19 level over there (top of the table) and he is a mainstay in that team when fit. Thought he looked a fair bit more physically developed than McManus in the U19 games and he is a year older (Jan 04 vs March 05).
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Alex Murphy I would have said will step up and might get a call up to train but has a few lads ahead of him at either CB where he's played for Newcastle and LB.

Roughan is probably first choice LB and second choice LCB. If Crawford wants a left footer at LCB then can't think of others besides Garcia and Roughan.

Furlong has had an excellent loan spell at Motherwell and Adaramola made the bench for Palace's last game of the season so plenty of competition for Roughan. Will be interesting to see where Roughan ends up this summer having reportedly turned down an extension at Lincoln. Strange that we have all these left footed defenders at U21 level, but very few promising right footed ones.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 10:48am
Ex Irish u21 and LFC academy graduate, Corey Whelan was promoted to League One with Carlisle yesterday, 25 now and a CB so unlikely to ever trouble the senior panel, but good luck to him.
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 4:08pm
Updated the first post.

Crawford saying a few new faces will be called up from the U19s for the coming U21s games

“There will be some new faces in the squad, some players from this season’s U-19s and some players who were part of our squads in the last campaign who weren’t with us in March, everyone will have a chance to impress,”

Can see it being the 2004 born players who won't be eligible for the next U19s campaign, the likes of Abankwah, Vaughan, maybe Murphy, maybe McJannet.
Perhaps recalls for Odubeko & Costelloe, too.

EDIT:
Could see Emakhu added if Cannon is with the senior team (which he should be).

Of the other 2005 born players, could see McManus getting in. Maybe O'Mahony.

Zefi has done nothing to warrant an U21 call up. He's been sitting on the bench for Inter's U19s.

Edited by Greenie50 - 29 May 2023 at 4:36pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 1:58pm

First game is tomorrow-week so we should get a squad any day now.
Imagine it will be very close to what we had for the friendly in Cork but these squads can throw in a curve-ball now and then.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 2:02pm
Since it's a training camp rather than a one of friendly there'll likely be a few new faces included with the lads who were called up in March. Think a 22 man squad was named for March with a one or two lads called up after the initial squad was announced.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 2:11pm
Yeah and as was posted above, Jim had said some lads will come up from the 19's and some from the last campaign who were not in Cork will come back in (likes of Odubeko, I imagine).

Massive churn from the last campaign so these three matches are important.

Edited by Fozz - 05 Jun 2023 at 2:11pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 2:28pm
Ebosele being out could see Costello being brought back in. Unless Crawford wants to get adventures and call up a 2005 to train since Johnny Kenny can play out wide and Cian Hayes was also in the last squad.

There's Darragh Burns also but I'd say his chances of a call up are slim and Costello would get in ahead of him cause he can play up front and out wide.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 67>
  Share Topic