You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U21s - 2025 Campaign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 67>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Sorry - I actually did mean Kilkenny and not Smallbone. Kilkenny and Coventry at the pivot didn't do it for me was my point, not Smallbone. 

Agreed, wasn't the biggest fan of Coventry and Kilkenny because of how similar they were. Midfield two were often too deep which left gaps between the forward line and stood out more when playing with someone like Ross Tierney who done most his running without the ball. That one game with Coventry, Smallbone, and Noß was when our midfield looked it's most balanced.

Edited by J89 - 27 Mar 2023 at 10:57am
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Dunne23 Dunne23 wrote:

I thought he was brilliant at CB yesterday. First time seeing him but looked like very comfortable on the ball 

Yeah he looked very good and comfortable in possession. Played midfield before moving to Celtic and have said before it's something we should consider switching at international level given the lack of defensive midfielders we've got.

If Hodge is still around with the U21s though I'd leave Lawal where he is, but if Hodge moves to the seniors then I'd consider moving him into midfield. It's why I wouldn't mind seeing him there sometime in June with someone like Abankwah playing CB.

Edited by J89 - 27 Mar 2023 at 11:05am
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 2:25pm
Looks like Roughan hasn't played for Lincoln all season. Hasnt even made the bench. 

Have I read this correctly?
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 2:27pm
Roughan is a regular for Lincoln, he's played 26 times?
We're decent enough..
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Looks like Roughan hasn't played for Lincoln all season. Hasnt even made the bench. 

Probably looking at last season. Didn't play for Lincoln bar one game in the FA cup first round and went on loan to Drogheda for half a season.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 2:32pm

No, he plays regularly for the Imps

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

No, he plays regularly for the Imps

Good to see. His wiki page says the opposite
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 5:30pm
Was at this match and it was an excellent occasion.
Weather helped for sure but the crowd were well eager.

On the players, Hodge was excellent.  Saw him lose it once and he ran after it like his life depended on it.  Lad has such a great attitude.  Other than that he showed great composure in tight spaces and should have had a headed goal!

Curtis was baffled for their goal but fair play to him, got his head down and improved significanly as the match wore on.

Lawal and McNulty at the back were solid.  Lawal is a composed operator while McNulty loves a good tackle and between them they gace away very little.

Up top Cannon was a constant threat with balls over the top.  Looks hungry and then Kenny came on and put his stamp on proceedings.  Looks to have bulked up and caused all sort of issues in his short time out there.  Cracking goal to top it off and send the fans away happy.

More 21's matches in Cork, please.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 5:47pm
Hodge had a fine game, but for those bigging him up for the senior squad, there were at least two or three occasions where he was very lucky to not give up big chances by trying to take on a man or play a low percentage pass as the deepest midfielder. Against better opposition you just cant do that. He's a lovely wee player, but I stand by what I said he's not ready yet and likely wont be until he gets at least half a season of regular football at club level.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 4:12pm
Recent U21 call up, Centre Back Connor O'Riordan scores for Crewe
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 4:35pm
Another U21 defender, Ogungbo scores for Crawley!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 1:46pm
Dylan Duffy probably deserves to be added to the list of options in the opening post after earning a first team spot at League One Lincoln and both assisting and scoring in recent weeks. Has to be in the reckoning!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 5:18pm
Another one to note is ex-Shels CB Stephen Negru, who made his debut recently for Oxford United and did well by all accounts. It's an area where the U21s arent blessed with options so he is another that should come in to contention. Oxford previously did well with developing Luke Mc Nally.

Negru is also eligible for Moldova but would prefer to play for Ireland as per the article hereunder.

Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:26am

A fairly eclectic mix of opposition for the Under 21s next month.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:53am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

A fairly eclectic mix of opposition for the Under 21s next month.

Decent mix that. Plenty games for players to bed in and play. Gives the manager an opportunity to give everyone a look in too. 

Would expect Harry Vaughan and Abankwah to move up to the U21s from the 19s. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 12:46pm
Those two and Vata if he's fit would be good additions from the Under 19s. As well as Curtis, who has already been involved at Under 21 level. I don't think there's anyone else in the Under 19s who is ready to step up, unless Crawford wants a look at Zefi maybe.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 1:05pm
Zefi might not be available. Went off injured for inter's U19s recently, and hasn't been in a squad since
Had only just come on as a sub too
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Zefi might not be available. Went off injured for inter's U19s recently, and hasn't been in a squad since
Had only just come on as a sub too

Looked to have done some damage to his arm/shoulder, was pictured in a big sling.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 67>
  Share Topic