You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U21s - 2025 Campaign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 67>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Are either of Noss or John Joe Finn under ages this year.

Both seemed to have gone off the radar lately

Noss is overage now and rotting in the German 4th tier. John Joe Finn.. who knows where he's gone. Probably playing for Getafe B?

Hasn't made a single B team squad this season going off transfermarkt and last appeared in a senior squad on October first. From transfermarkt he hasn't a single minute of competitive game time this season.
16 games 5 gls this season apparently 
Sponsored Links

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 2:28pm

Noss is overage now and rotting in the German 4th tier. John Joe Finn.. who knows where he's gone. Probably playing for Getafe B?

Few articles online that Noss' development is being damaged by Farke, the Borussia manager. He's gone from being a promising youth player on the fringes of the first team to playing in the reserves. Has a few goals for them too, but no chance of making the senior squad

John Joe Finn is playing regularly for Getafe's second team, but hasn't been involved with the first team since early October. He's not turning 20 until September, and really should be pushing for first team football by then
https://us.soccerway.com/players/john-joe-patrick-finn/683750/
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 2:29pm
Noss is overage now. He needs a move this summer to get his career going. He looked a decent player for the Under 21s. 

Finn remains eligible but he hasn't done anything of note to deserve to be selected and it's questionable how interested he really was anyway.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Noss is overage now. He needs a move this summer to get his career going. He looked a decent player for the Under 21s. 

Finn remains eligible but he hasn't done anything of note to deserve to be selected and it's questionable how interested he really was anyway.

Why is it questionable? Or are you just speculating? 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Why is it questionable? Or are you just speculating? 

Speculating to some extent. But, for all the noise about him and the intervention by senior management to get him involved,.I can't remember him ever playing anything other than a couple of friendlies for us. I don't think he ever played a competitive game?

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:06pm

Speculating to some extent. But, for all the noise about him and the intervention by senior management to get him involved,.I can't remember him ever playing anything other than a couple of friendlies for us. I don't think he ever played a competitive game?

My take on it is is he was brought into that 19's camp (wasn't it the one Gilsenan did his cruciate in?) and played one match.
Never seen again, and I'd speculate they saw he wasn't at the level at that time and nothing since has changed that view.

The 21's campaign is a long one into next season so he has plenty of time to break in but would require him to be playing some level of senior football really.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:35pm

Hasn't made a single B team squad this season going off transfermarkt and last appeared in a senior squad on October first. From transfermarkt he hasn't a single minute of competitive game time this season.

Think hes currently out injured.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:53pm
Any word on Killian Phillips? Didnt make the squad for Shrewsbury at the weekend. It would be disappointing to see him miss out on Sunday as it looks like himself and Hodge will be our midfield 2 for the upcoming campaign. Is the game on Sunday on the box?
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:58pm

Interesting squad. Looks like the keeper position could be a concern again. Hopefully Keeley is good and is ready to step up.

No glaring omissions from either the 19s or the 21s today. No massive surprises either. Probably the main absentees from the Under 21 squad would be Burns, Odubeko, Kavanagh and Costelloe. All attackers which shows where the strength in depth is in this group. Not sure if one or two of those lads are maybe injured?

Not as many missing to the seniors to start with as in the last campaign, but Bazunu, Omobamidele, Parrott and Ferguson are all eligible. Cannon, Festy and Hodge might be the obvious three to step up and be lost to the 21s during the campaign.

I think Burns and Odubeko are injured, havent made matchday squads for a few weeks now. Burns could just be out of favour! Kavanagh scored at the weekend and Costelloe has featured regularly for Bradford, but as you say, a lot of depth in attacking areas. Springett another one to miss out.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:03pm

Doubt Ebosele will play as a winger when he's named with the defenders. Similar I think Lawal will play in midfield for these games and drop back to CB once other 03s if injured, 04s, and possibly 05s are available. Think the midfield trio this window will be Lawal, Hodge, and Philips.

Ed McJannet is the likely favourite to become the holding midfielder since I think he captained the U19s last season and while James McManus is an 05 player he looks like he'll become a regular starter for Bohs this season. Could see him fast tracked if he's playing regular senior football.

Think the selection of Ebosele as the only RWB (think Okoflex played there a few times for Swansea too), might point to a back 3 with Lawal playing at CB alongside Mc Nulty and O'Riordan or Roughan. Furlong or Adaramola at LWB. Phillips, Hodge as the midfield 2 with Moran as the CAM. maybe Armstrong and Cannon up front. Decent squad, but short in some areas. As you say a few of the U19s likely to move up post the Finals tournament in the summer. Abankwah likely the first in line.
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:07pm
I disagree, John.
I think they will stick with a back-4 with Festy as a winger.
IIRC, JC only played a back-5 once last campaign, in one of the Sweden matches (I am massively open to correction here).

So I'd have Cannon central with Festy right and I dunno left.  Maybe Okoflex as that's his natural position?
Then Phillips and Hodge central with Moran as a #10, altho he could also play wide-right in a three.

I'm heading to this on Sunday and while only a friendly, looking forward to it.

Edited by Fozz - 21 Mar 2023 at 6:07pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I disagree, John.
I think they will stick with a back-4 with Festy as a winger.
IIRC, JC only played a back-5 once last campaign, in one of the Sweden matches (I am massively open to correction here).

So I'd have Cannon central with Festy right and I dunno left.  Maybe Okoflex as that's his natural position?
Then Phillips and Hodge central with Moran as a #10, altho he could also play wide-right in a three.

I'm heading to this on Sunday and while only a friendly, looking forward to it.

Well then who plays RB? I think the lack of midfielders points to a Back 3 myself (which I would like to see, I have said for a long time that ideally the U21 formation should mirror the senior team). As far as I am aware, Lawal has played primarily as a CB for Celtic B.
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:31pm
Fair point.
We seem to have three lads (Adamarola, Furlong and Roughan) who can play LB but no RBs.  I guess one switches over?
Counter to the back five is we only named 3CH's, so any issue with one and you are looking at someone stepping in but Roughan is probably OK there, in fairness.
And Lawal also, as you said but he's named as a midfielder, for whatever that's worth.

I agree with the sentiment that the 21's should play the same formation as the seniors but the 17's play a four and I'd be surprised if the 19's this week don't do the same.
Up to now the 21's have played with a four and SK started the seniors down that road too.

I think a 4-3-3 variant is what we want to play at every level, but the seniors hand was forced.

So two things to look out for which will shed some light on the direction forward - will SK trial a back four tomorrow v minnows, and will the 21's play that way on Sunday?

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Fair point.
We seem to have three lads (Adamarola, Furlong and Roughan) who can play LB but no RBs.  I guess one switches over?
Counter to the back five is we only named 3CH's, so any issue with one and you are looking at someone stepping in but Roughan is probably OK there, in fairness.
And Lawal also, as you said but he's named as a midfielder, for whatever that's worth.

I agree with the sentiment that the 21's should play the same formation as the seniors but the 17's play a four and I'd be surprised if the 19's this week don't do the same.
Up to now the 21's have played with a four and SK started the seniors down that road too.

I think a 4-3-3 variant is what we want to play at every level, but the seniors hand was forced.

So two things to look out for which will shed some light on the direction forward - will SK trial a back four tomorrow v minnows, and will the 21's play that way on Sunday?

Interesting times, I'm going to the U19 matches on Saturday and Tuesday myself (plus the senior games) so will report back. Fwiw I'd like to see Kenny trial a 433 again vs Latvia, we need to find a more fluent way of troubling the so called minnows and one assumes thats why Johnston has been brought in. Ogbene is also at his best wide and Connolly and Robinson are fine working off the flanks also. Sykes and O'Dowda are 2 more, even Obafemi likely has the pace to work ok from out wide. Dont get me wrong, I'd absolutely stick with the 532 vs the stronger teams. We do need to find some actual full backs though if we are going towards a 4-3-3 and we dont really have any in the squad bar the 35yo Coleman.
Idah Dream!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Interesting squad. Looks like the keeper position could be a concern again. Hopefully Keeley is good and is ready to step up.

No glaring omissions from either the 19s or the 21s today. No massive surprises either. Probably the main absentees from the Under 21 squad would be Burns, Odubeko, Kavanagh and Costelloe. All attackers which shows where the strength in depth is in this group. Not sure if one or two of those lads are maybe injured?

Not as many missing to the seniors to start with as in the last campaign, but Bazunu, Omobamidele, Parrott and Ferguson are all eligible. Cannon, Festy and Hodge might be the obvious three to step up and be lost to the 21s during the campaign.

I think Burns and Odubeko are injured, havent made matchday squads for a few weeks now. Burns could just be out of favour! Kavanagh scored at the weekend and Costelloe has featured regularly for Bradford, but as you say, a lot of depth in attacking areas. Springett another one to miss out.

Odubeko isn't injured, he just hasn't been making the squad.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Thats disappointing, I'm sure he would have harboured hopes of leading the line for us for the U21 campaign. Thought he had been doing ok there, in and out admittedly, but was getting minutes off the bench, the odd start and the odd goal/assist pre Christmas. I just assumed he was injured when he disappeared from squad lists.
Idah Dream!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:01pm

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Thats disappointing, I'm sure he would have harboured hopes of leading the line for us for the U21 campaign. Thought he had been doing ok there, in and out admittedly, but was getting minutes off the bench, the odd start and the odd goal/assist pre Christmas. I just assumed he was injured when he disappeared from squad lists.

Yeah he started well but hasn't made the last 7/8 match day squads and theres 4 strikers ahead if him in peckimg order now. Hopefully turn it around as he did look to be someone with potential.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 21 Mar 2023 at 7:02pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 2:13pm
Matt Healy injured out of the squad for Iceland. Shels Kian Leavy and St Pat's Jay McGrath are both called up.

Sligos Éanna Clancy (2004) and St Pat's Adam Murphy (2005) were training with the U21s this week.

Joe Hodge has been named captain for the U21s but with a bit of luck he's moved on before the years out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 67>
  Share Topic