You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U21s - 2025 Campaign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 67>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 8:49pm
Wouldn't be surprised if Crawford goes back to four at the back but we've got a number of left footed CBs in Garcia MacNulty, Roughan, and Murphy if three at the back is preferred.

Could get a decent back five of Ebosele - Abankwah - Lawal - MacNulty - Adaramola. Plenty of pace in the WBs, the CBs are nicely balanced with a right and left footer either side of Lawal.

Edited by J89 - 27 Jan 2023 at 8:50pm
Sponsored Links

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if Crawford goes back to four at the back but we've got a number of left footed CBs in Garcia MacNulty, Roughan, and Murphy if three at the back is preferred.

Could get a decent back five of Ebosele - Abankwah - Lawal - MacNulty - Adaramola. Plenty of pace in the WBs, the CBs are nicely balanced with a right and left footer either side of Lawal.

Much rather see Roughan at LWB if that were to be the setup. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 9:01pm
Wonder if Ebosele will want to be part of this campaign at all. There seemed to be friction between him and Crawford last time around. We seem light in that position so hopefully he is happy to play.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 9:15pm
Sam Curtis could be promoted to 21s for RWB if Festy dosent fancy it as he has looked more than capable for Pat's in the LOI if not Boyce off Dery is probably the other one who could play there.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 27 Jan 2023 at 9:17pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 9:28pm
John Ryan at Sassuolo is a RB as well I think, might get a look in for the upcoming campaign.
We're decent enough..
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 9:34pm
Even though Curtis is a young 2005 and would have another year of U19s again next season think we'll see him move up to U21s. Ferizaj and Vata would be another two I think will make the step up.

Zefi given the hype around him will be around pushing for the U21s but if I had to pick just one I'd love for it to be Vata. He's always looked good playing in that number ten role behind the striker. Have always been more impressed with him and Ferizaj for the 2005 group.

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Much rather see Roughan at LWB if that were to be the setup. 

Would likely be Roughan given his experience playing senior games but Crawford has called Adaramola up and given him a start in a must win game back in June.

Not sure what Roughan is like pace wise though he used to be a winger but would like to see us use WBs that have serious pace to threaten teams.

Edited by J89 - 27 Jan 2023 at 9:47pm
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 9:22am
Friendly  versus Iceland in Turners Cross on March 28th to be announced soon.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 9:41am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Friendly  versus Iceland in Turners Cross on March 28th to be announced soon.
They turned us over twice in the Kenny campaign, 2nd match was under Jim that time.
That cost us.  A good test.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 11:09am
Confirmed now. If they get a good crowd in they should consider moving all the 21s games there. Crowds in Tallaght haven't been great. The IRFU have had success taking the Under 20 rugby games down there so possibly it could work for the FAI also.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 11:20am
Like the good old days. U21s @ The Cross. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

Like the good old days. U21s @ The Cross. 
First U21 International in Turners Cross since 2009
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Confirmed now. If they get a good crowd in they should consider moving all the 21s games there. Crowds in Tallaght haven't been great. The IRFU have had success taking the Under 20 rugby games down there so possibly it could work for the FAI also.

They used to move the games around between the Cross, RSC and Showgrounds before settling on Tallaght to include games on the season ticket because attendances were shocking everywhere else. I doubt much has changed as they cant compete with the population density of Tallaght never mind Dublin.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 4:02pm
We've snuck into pot 2 as the 18th and lowest ranked second seeds for this. Draw is on Thursday morning.

Three automatic qualification places available for group runners up as well (in addition to playoffs for the other second placed teams) so it could work out nicely depending on how the draw goes.

Edited by You Tell Me - 31 Jan 2023 at 4:05pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

We've snuck into pot 2 as the 18th and lowest ranked second seeds for this. Draw is on Thursday morning.

Three automatic qualification places available for group runners up as well (in addition to playoffs for the other second placed teams) so it could work out nicely depending on how the draw goes.

Massive boost getting into Pot 2.
Very excited for this campaign...gotta get down to langerland for that friendly Big smile
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 7:09pm
We could have a game as soon as March.
alive and kicking
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 8:03pm
I'd doubt there'll be a qualifier in March, and think they'd be stupid to agree to have one of the qualifiers played in March. Let the first game set of qualifiers till September and use both March and June as training camps.

Iceland match is also at the backend of March's window so any qualifier would have to be before the friendly.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 8:18pm
Yeah, we deffo coulda had a March qualifier like we did when Kenny took over,  but the announced friendly would seem to scupper that.
Agree that we can use the March and June windows to bed in the new squad and determine the best formation and staring XI.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 7:21am
Draw this morning 8am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 67>
  Share Topic