You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U21s - 2025 Campaign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 67>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 6:00pm
That seems a decent stab at a team. Only thing I wouldn't be too sure about is whether Crawford's 4-5-1 setup would allow both Cannon and Armstrong to play together, it might need to be one or the other with a Burns or an Oko-flex type coming in as a winger.
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I'll have a stab for the craic

1) Keeley 2003
2) Ebosele 2002
3) Adaramola 2003
4) Mac Nulty 2003
5) Lawal 2003
6) Hodge 2002
8) Phillips 2002
10) Moran 2003
7) Armstrong 2003
9) Cannon 2002 
11) O'Neill 2003

That's leaving out lads playing regular mens football like Roughan, Furlong. Odubeko, Burns, Costelloe, Kavanagh, Hayes and Springett leaving aside promising lads at PL and Ch clubs like Okoflex, Mooney, Emakhu, Greenwood and Henry-Francis.

I'm assuming none of Bazunu, Omobamidele, Parrott and Ferguson will be made available.

I strongly suspect Roughan will get the nod at LB if we play a back 4. If we play a back 5 he might slot in at LCB. Don’t see how he won’t be in the team he is doing good things at Lincoln from a good judge I was talking to recently he might get a transfer to a better club in the next year or two. 

Josh Keeley is one I’m looking forward to seeing step in. No disrespect to Brian Maher but I wasn’t totally convinced by him and he made a howler for the Israeli goal in the play off. 

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Moran and Hodge flirting with senior team involvement by the latter stages of qualification.

Edited by kevin100 - 16 Feb 2023 at 6:34pm
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 6:31pm
I added a few CMs & CBs to the opening post. Just guessing at the names though.

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Dates announced for the upcoming campaign.
September 8, 2023 | Ireland U21 v Türkiye U21
September 12, 2023 | Ireland U21 v San Marino U21
October 13, 2023 | Latvia U21 v Ireland U21
November 17, 2023 | Norway U21 v Ireland U21
November 21, 2023 | Ireland U21 v Italy U21
March 22, 2024 | Ireland U21 v San Marino U21
September 6, 2024 | Türkiye U21 v Ireland U21
September 10, 2024 | Ireland U21 v Latvia U21
October 11, 2024 | Ireland U21 v Norway U21
October 15, 2024 | Italy U21 v Ireland U21

I didn't realise the group games would roll all the way through Sept/Oct 2024 (thought it'd finish June '24), so that might well change things a bit in terms of senior call ups and 04/05 lads moving to the U21s.

The senior Nations League games will be Sept, Oct & Nov 2024, & over the next 18 months we'll probably see a good few of the older players retire/be moved on, so there will be opportunities to blood new players.

Coleman will be 36, McClean 35, Stevens 34, Hourihane pushing 34.
Brady, Duffy, Hendrick, Doherty, Egan, Hogan, Christie will all be closer to 33 than 32. Some will probably stay another campaign, but some won't (Christie & Hogan I don't think we'll see again as it is).
Keane would probably be moved on at that point too.

As the U21 lads stand right now, I think Hodge & Ebosele are already on the cusp of the senior squad, if they playing regularly next season especially.
Cannon is playing regularly in the Championship now, could be Hogans replacement over the next 12-18 months.
Moran seems like he's on the cusp of getting more regular minutes for Brighton, if he does we can't ignore him.
Phillips seems like he could progress quickly too.
Oko-Flex is highly rated at West Ham, will likely have another crack at the Championship next season, so he's one to keep an eye on.

So yeah, by Autumn 2024 you could see a few 04/05 lads moved up to the U21s.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 6:41pm
Pretty sure it's always ran till October of the following year and the playoffs are in November. Only finished in June because they needed to play the play offs in September.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 6:59pm

I'll have a stab for the craic

1) Keeley 2003
2) Ebosele 2002
3) Adaramola 2003
4) Mac Nulty 2003
5) Lawal 2003
6) Hodge 2002
8) Phillips 2002
10) Moran 2003
7) Armstrong 2003
9) Cannon 2002 
11) O'Neill 2003

That's leaving out lads playing regular mens football like Roughan, Furlong. Odubeko, Burns, Costelloe, Kavanagh, Hayes and Springett leaving aside promising lads at PL and Ch clubs like Okoflex, Mooney, Emakhu, Greenwood and Henry-Francis.

I'm assuming none of Bazunu, Omobamidele, Parrott and Ferguson will be made available.

I'll have a go. If it's for the Iceland game next month:

Cannon
       O'Neill   Moran Costelloe
               Hodge Phillips
Roughan MacNulty Lawal Ebosele
                    Keeley

or
           Cannon Armstrong*
                    Moran
Adaramola Hodge Phillips Ebosele
      Roughan MacNulty Lawal
                    Keeley

*I think Johnny Kenny is a much more natural finisher than Armstrong, but the latter is getting minutes in the Championship.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I added a few CMs & CBs to the opening post. Just guessing at the names though.

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Dates announced for the upcoming campaign.
September 8, 2023 | Ireland U21 v Türkiye U21
September 12, 2023 | Ireland U21 v San Marino U21
October 13, 2023 | Latvia U21 v Ireland U21
November 17, 2023 | Norway U21 v Ireland U21
November 21, 2023 | Ireland U21 v Italy U21
March 22, 2024 | Ireland U21 v San Marino U21
September 6, 2024 | Türkiye U21 v Ireland U21
September 10, 2024 | Ireland U21 v Latvia U21
October 11, 2024 | Ireland U21 v Norway U21
October 15, 2024 | Italy U21 v Ireland U21

I didn't realise the group games would roll all the way through Sept/Oct 2024 (thought it'd finish June '24), so that might well change things a bit in terms of senior call ups and 04/05 lads moving to the U21s.

The senior Nations League games will be Sept, Oct & Nov 2024, & over the next 18 months we'll probably see a good few of the older players retire/be moved on, so there will be opportunities to blood new players.

Coleman will be 36, McClean 35, Stevens 34, Hourihane pushing 34.
Brady, Duffy, Hendrick, Doherty, Egan, Hogan, Christie will all be closer to 33 than 32. Some will probably stay another campaign, but some won't (Christie & Hogan I don't think we'll see again as it is).
Keane would probably be moved on at that point too.

As the U21 lads stand right now, I think Hodge & Ebosele are already on the cusp of the senior squad, if they playing regularly next season especially.
Cannon is playing regularly in the Championship now, could be Hogans replacement over the next 12-18 months.
Moran seems like he's on the cusp of getting more regular minutes for Brighton, if he does we can't ignore him.
Phillips seems like he could progress quickly too.
Oko-Flex is highly rated at West Ham, will likely have another crack at the Championship next season, so he's one to keep an eye on.

So yeah, by Autumn 2024 you could see a few 04/05 lads moved up to the U21s.

A couple more names for your opening post
Jamie Egan - Bristol Rovers
Fionn Mooney - Palace
Darragh Burns - MK Dons
Deji Sotona - Burnley
Dylan Duffy - Lincoln
Matt Everitt - Brighton
Ethan Fitzhugh - Leicester
Stephen Negru - Oxford United
Ciaran Gilligan - Burton Albion

Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

That seems a decent stab at a team. Only thing I wouldn't be too sure about is whether Crawford's 4-5-1 setup would allow both Cannon and Armstrong to play together, it might need to be one or the other with a Burns or an Oko-flex type coming in as a winger.

I think Armstrong has the pace to play off either flank, I was thinking 4-3-3 with O'Neill and Armstrong either side of Cannon, Hodge holding with Phillips and Moran given licence, but that's all probably too attacking for Crawford. 

In an ideal world we would mirror the 5-3-2 Kenny favours, but the dearth of centre backs kind of militates against that. 
Idah Dream!
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 8:47pm
Surely former St Pats player James Abankwah will feature in this squad. A lot of people on here seem to have forgotten about him.
alive and kicking
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by smart man smart man wrote:

Surely former St Pats player James Abankwah will feature in this squad. A lot of people on here seem to have forgotten about him.

Still U19 eligible and may stay with them for their campaign, although he is the most likely to move up imo!
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 10:39pm

Fionn Mooney - Palace
Darragh Burns - MK Dons
Deji Sotona - Burnley
Dylan Duffy - Lincoln
Matt Everitt - Brighton

Cheers. I won't include everyone, I'll try to stick with players that have a good chance of getting in. The likes of Everitt & Sotona seems to have barely played any football over the last 2 years, can't see them getting anywhere near these squads.

I have him listed!
Captaining the U19s at the moment & they have the Elite Round at the end of March (& potential finals in June), but he definitely seems to have a higher ceiling than most of the other CBs from the 02/03 groups. Could easily see him being moved up once the competitive U21 games roll around in September.

He has played RWB a few times for the U19s too, so he can cover that weak spot.

Edited by Greenie50 - 16 Feb 2023 at 10:43pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 11:18pm

Fionn Mooney - Palace
Darragh Burns - MK Dons
Deji Sotona - Burnley
Dylan Duffy - Lincoln
Matt Everitt - Brighton

Cheers. I won't include everyone, I'll try to stick with players that have a good chance of getting in. The likes of Everitt & Sotona seems to have barely played any football over the last 2 years, can't see them getting anywhere near these squads.

I have him listed!
Captaining the U19s at the moment & they have the Elite Round at the end of March (& potential finals in June), but he definitely seems to have a higher ceiling than most of the other CBs from the 02/03 groups. Could easily see him being moved up once the competitive U21 games roll around in September.

He has played RWB a few times for the U19s too, so he can cover that weak spot.
I think Everitt suffered a lt injury/illness and is working his way back. very highly rated at BHA at one point. Burns is surely in contention and the Lincoln move could push Duffy on. Negru and Mooney surely have a chance just cos of their positions. The others fair enough, although you have Giurgi on there who has moved to Longford?
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 1:44pm
As per Tets on foot.ie, Gabriel Adebambo (2002) made the bench for Stoke in the Championship on Wednesday night, but didnt get on. Might be a lad who will get a chance in midfield, particularly if Hodge and/or Moran move up.
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 3:04pm

I think Everitt suffered a lt injury/illness and is working his way back. very highly rated at BHA at one point. Burns is surely in contention and the Lincoln move could push Duffy on. Negru and Mooney surely have a chance just cos of their positions. The others fair enough, although you have Giurgi on there who has moved to Longford?

Hadn't seen that about Giurgi, he was in just because I was casting around for names and couldn't find much. Moving to Longford though, not a good sign, I'll take him out.
I know Caffrey is more of an AM, too. There just isn't much to pick from at RB/RWB.
Calling up Abankwah or Curtis, or moving one of the Wingers (Costelloe, O'Neill, Oko-Flex) back would seem like the most likely solution.

As per Tets on foot.ie, Gabriel Adebambo (2002) made the bench for Stoke in the Championship on Wednesday night, but didnt get on. Might be a lad who will get a chance in midfield, particularly if Hodge and/or Moran move up.

Yeah, I saw that. Don't know if it's because they have injuries or if he's legitimately progressing, hopefully the latter. I put him in anyway.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 3:13pm

Hadn't seen that about Giurgi, he was in just because I was casting around for names and couldn't find much. Moving to Longford though, not a good sign, I'll take him out.
I know Caffrey is more of an AM, too. There just isn't much to pick from at RB/RWB.
Calling up Abankwah or Curtis, or moving one of the Wingers (Costelloe, O'Neill, Oko-Flex) back would seem like the most likely solution.

Yeah, I saw that. Don't know if it's because they have injuries or if he's legitimately progressing, hopefully the latter. I put him in anyway.

A few others to consider, all 2003, all defenders
Leigh Kavanagh CB Brighton
Noah Watson CB Palace
Osa Solomon RB Forest

All 3 have been in and around ROI underage squads at some point. Solomon is also eligible for South Africa, but is a right back apparently.

Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 3:26pm
Oh and Kian Leavy on loan to Shelbourne from Reading is 2002 

Ryan O'Kane 2003 Dundalk is a good wee player also, but there's loads ahead of him on the flanks

Also, I know Tom Hill (2002) of Liverpool (who is a midfielder but has played RB on occasion) was called up to an Irish training camp. Not sure on his fitness, he had a serious l/t injury a couple of years back, but if he is eligible and he gets fit, he would surely be in the reckoning.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 4:39pm
Last one I swear Smile These lads featured in an U20 game under Crawford in March 2022 ostensibly so he could have a look ahead of the upcoming u21 campaign. Some I'm not sure are close to good enough (Sobowale/Neville). Some I'm not sure on eligibility (Flynn Clarke played U19 for Scotland, but was rumoured to be switching)

H. NEVILLE FB 26/06/2002 INTER MIAMI
TIMI SOBOWALE FB 22/01/2002 FLORA SK
C. O'RIORDAN CB 19/10/2003 CREWE
Z. DELANEY CB 10/01/2002 INVERNESS
K. ROBINSON ST 08/11/2002 SHELBOURNE
M. HEALY CM 12/04/2002 CORK CITY* (IPSWICH)
F. CLARKE CM 19/12/2002 NORWICH

Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 1:25pm

Made the bench for Stoke again on Saturday, unused unfortunately!
Idah Dream!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 8:50pm
Trevor Crolly coming in to replace John O Shea in the set up. TC & Crawford were sat together watching Bohs beat Dundalk on Friday 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 67>
  Share Topic