You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U21s - 2025 Campaign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 67>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by PaddyMaddenIsCounty! PaddyMaddenIsCounty! wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Zero chance Parrott won’t be in the senior squad on merit or not. Obafemi Ferguson Robinson Ogbene Parrott I suspect will be the 5! 

Also little indication that Cannon is ahead of Parrott yet. In 6/7 games time if he’s still starting ahead of Parrott fair enough! Troy couldn’t play last weekend and is only back from injury.
Wouldn’t be so sure, Kenny not afraid drop players. Back to topic of U21s I do feel if parrot doesn’t add goals to his game at championship level he will be overtook and back with under 21s. He has achieved nothing at championship level. He is a good League One player trying to step to championship. Done nothing to make him undropable or indispensable at senior level. Can see him back with U21s for start of campaign.

Given Connolly's start at Hull, I wouldnt be at all surprised to see him included at Troy's expense if he can maintain that form. Despite all the crap on here, he dropped down to the U21s at the management's behest and has now got himself a move which will allow direct comparison with the other eligible attacking players. IMO Parrott will have to at the very least get back to starting regularly at PNE to merit inclusion. Leaving Connolly aside, Idah is back fit again and like it or not Hogan and Keane are still the two best performing eligible strikers in the Championship.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:53pm
If the list is accurate, then the 21's would be picking strikers from Cannon, Odubeko & Armstrong, all of whom have Championshiop/L1 appearances under their belts.

Then you have Kenny, who will be right back in the frame if he recovers the form from before the Celtic jaunt.
Kavanagh has just sealed another L2 loan and could build on the first one to play well enough in that league to stake a claim.
Emakhu not in the picture as things stand.
Tack on the wide-attackers like Costelloe, O'Neill (a squad favourite), OkoFlex and Springett and there's too many players and not enough squad-spaces so some will be left out (I suspect OkoFlex for one).

So plenty of options before coinsidering anyone dropping back from the seniors.

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:00pm
compiled this list of eligible players for the championship, all born on or after 1st January 2002

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Zero chance Parrott won’t be in the senior squad on merit or not. Obafemi Ferguson Robinson Ogbene Parrott I suspect will be the 5! 

Also little indication that Cannon is ahead of Parrott yet. In 6/7 games time if he’s still starting ahead of Parrott fair enough! Troy couldn’t play last weekend and is only back from injury.
Wouldn’t be so sure, Kenny not afraid drop players. Back to topic of U21s I do feel if parrot doesn’t add goals to his game at championship level he will be overtook and back with under 21s. He has achieved nothing at championship level. He is a good League One player trying to step to championship. Done nothing to make him undropable or indispensable at senior level. Can see him back with U21s for start of campaign.

Given Connolly's start at Hull, I wouldnt be at all surprised to see him included at Troy's expense if he can maintain that form. Despite all the crap on here, he dropped down to the U21s at the management's behest and has now got himself a move which will allow direct comparison with the other eligible attacking players. IMO Parrott will have to at the very least get back to starting regularly at PNE to merit inclusion. Leaving Connolly aside, Idah is back fit again and like it or not Hogan and Keane are still the two best performing eligible strikers in the Championship.

Don’t disagree with the playing regularly part but for me if Troy is playing regularly he will maintain his place in the squad. It’s what I think Kenny will do anyways. Wouldn’t be shocked if he added Connolly as a 6th attacker rather then not bring the 5 I mentioned above if Connolly goes on a decent run. 

Ogbene can always be utilised as a wing back option if stuck. One or two players bound to be injured and there is no guarantee Ferguson will make it yet. 

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Feb 2023 at 2:02pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Brutal draw.

Ya think?

I'd take it over this group:
England
Serbia
Ukraine
Azerbaijan
Luxembourg
N.Ireland

Spain and England's managers were both promoted to the senior role, as was Kenny.

Ian Baraclough from NI's U-21's too. Though he wasn't terrible (imo), he wasn't up to it, either.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Brutal draw.

Ya think?

England
Serbia
Ukraine
Azerbaijan
Luxembourg
N.Ireland

Spain and England's managers were both promoted to the senior role, as was Kenny.

Ian Baraclough from NI's U-21's too. Though he wasn't terrible (imo), he wasn't up to it, either.
Well in that group we’d replace Serbia so the group doesn’t look too bad then. Wales and Northern Ireland must be the two teams in Europe with the biggest gap between their senior and u21 rankings? A function of v small player pools I guess, but pretty worrying for the future for both.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Brutal draw.

Ya think?

England
Serbia
Ukraine
Azerbaijan
Luxembourg
N.Ireland

As second seeds that group would have been considerably better than ours overall, likely a straight shootout with Serbia for second place and plenty of points to be picked up from the three lower ranked seeds, so if we did finish second then a good chance of an automatic qualification place.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Wonder if Ebosele will want to be part of this campaign at all. There seemed to be friction between him and Crawford last time around. We seem light in that position so hopefully he is happy to play.

That friction seemed to arise from Crawford skipping over Ebosele (playing regularly in the Championship) in favour of lads playing in League 2 (O'Connor, Ferry, Wright, Gilbert. None of them pulling up trees, O'Connor playing as a DM for Tranmere).

So it seems it's less "will Festy want to play", and more "will Crawford actually play him".

Roughan is regular at Lincoln City, can see Cannon developing fast and promoted to seniors before campaign out, above parrot in pecking order at PNE. Wouldn’t surprised see Parrot back in U21s if Obafemi, Ferguson, Connolly hit run of form rest of season

[Wouldn’t be so sure, Kenny not afraid drop players. Back to topic of U21s I do feel if parrot doesn’t add goals to his game at championship level he will be overtook and back with under 21s. He has achieved nothing at championship level. He is a good League One player trying to step to championship. Done nothing to make him undropable or indispensable at senior level. Can see him back with U21s for start of campaign.

You've got it the wrong way around. It's Cannon that has done nothing in senior football.

Parrott, for Ireland, has 4 goals & 2 assists in 8.2 games.
Himself & Obafemi were our best forwards by a distance in the Nations League (for last year, & actually you can throw in the 2018 & 2020 iterations too).
1 goal, 1 assist & an all around solid performance in our biggest home win of the last 7 years (3-0 vs Scotland).

Parrott has more than earned his spot in the squad as long as he's fit & playing regularly at club level.

Cannon hasn't even played for our U21s yet, he'll need some impressive rise to jump to the senior squad ahead of Parrott. They're both 2002 born, Parrott is miles ahead.
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 9:32pm
Was miles ahead, by end of season Cannon will have done more in championship than Parrot will
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

compiled this list of eligible players for the championship, all born on or after 1st January 2002

Cheers for this. I'll add a few Defenders to the original post. Who would you say are the best prospects beyond the ones mentioned?  I'll try to just stick with the ones most likely to get games.

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Even though Curtis is a young 2005 and would have another year of U19s again next season think we'll see him move up to U21s. Ferizaj and Vata would be another two I think will make the step up.
Zefi given the hype around him will be around pushing for the U21s but if I had to pick just one I'd love for it to be Vata. He's always looked good playing in that number ten role behind the striker. Have always been more impressed with him and Ferizaj for the 2005 group.

I don't think we'll see Zefi join the U21s this campaign. There's so much attacking competition already and he's only playing U18/U19 for Inter.
Similar with Vata, he would have to get playing regular senior football to push in ahead of the others.

Ferizaj might get a look in as he'll be getting regular games with Rovers, but again, lot of competition ahead of him.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Cheers for this. I'll add a few Defenders to the original post. Who would you say are the best prospects beyond the ones mentioned?  I'll try to just stick with the ones most likely to get games.

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Even though Curtis is a young 2005 and would have another year of U19s again next season think we'll see him move up to U21s. Ferizaj and Vata would be another two I think will make the step up.
Zefi given the hype around him will be around pushing for the U21s but if I had to pick just one I'd love for it to be Vata. He's always looked good playing in that number ten role behind the striker. Have always been more impressed with him and Ferizaj for the 2005 group.

I don't think we'll see Zefi join the U21s this campaign. There's so much attacking competition already and he's only playing U18/U19 for Inter.
Similar with Vata, he would have to get playing regular senior football to push in ahead of the others.

Ferizaj might get a look in as he'll be getting regular games with Rovers, but again, lot of competition ahead of him.

Agree re Vata, Zefi, even Ferrizaj - there are just too many attacking options in the 2002 and 2003 age groups, several of whom are playing senior football already. Best to leave them with the U19s and let them develop in their own time, the 2004 crop looks pretty strong also, so they should have a good U19 campaign ahead of them.
2002 - Burns, Odubeko, Cannon, Sotona, Springett, Costelloe, Duffy, Everitt, Parrott, Okoflex, Ebosele
2003 - Armstrong, Moran, Kenny, Emakhu, Harkin, Kavanagh, Hayes, O'Neill

That's 19 attacking players born in 02 or 03 with a pretty defensive coach overseeing the campaign, there will be a lot of disappointed lads, it's just important that Crawford makes sure he doesnt disillusion the best of them, particularly the dual nationals.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 3:01pm
Dates announced for the upcoming campaign.

September 8, 2023 | Ireland U21 v Türkiye U21
September 12, 2023 | Ireland U21 v San Marino U21
October 13, 2023 | Latvia U21 v Ireland U21
November 17, 2023 | Norway U21 v Ireland U21
November 21, 2023 | Ireland U21 v Italy U21
September 6, 2024 | Türkiye U21 v Ireland U21
September 10, 2024 | Ireland U21 v Latvia U21
October 11, 2024 | Ireland U21 v Norway U21
October 15, 2024 | Italy U21 v Ireland U21
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 3:06pm
Think there's a game against San Marino missing from that list. Hopefully it's sometime between November 2023 and September 2024 because otherwise there's a 10 month gap between games half way through the group.

At Under 21 level you could have a very different team in September 24 compared to November 23.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 3:15pm
They've updated it and that missing game is March 2024.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 3:23pm
Very much a group of two parts, even allowing for that San Marino game in March. We'd probably want to have about 10 points on the board from the five games this autumn, plus three more from San Marino in March.

It's a tough looking run in then in late 2024, I could definitely see the team looking a bit different by then with a few of the 2005 group involved at that stage and some of the 2002s (who would be 22 by then) having either moved up to the seniors or fallen down the order by that point.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 3:48pm
I think it's highly unlikely we will see any of the 2005 group moved up during the campaign given the sheer quantity of eligible 2002 & 2003 players, particularly in forward areas. We are oddly light at RB/RWB, particularly if Festy doesnt commit, and we are also light enough at CB, so we may see call ups for a couple of the 2004 defenders like Abankwah, Grehan and Alex Murphy. Unlike RB/RWBWe have a plethora of LB/LWB in the 2002/2003 groups - Adaramola, Furlong, Adedokun, Greenwood, Ogungbo and Roughan. Maybe some of these are versatile enough to switch across or play at CB.

We are not madly well stocked in the deeper midfield positions either, will Hodge stay with the U21s at least for the initial 6 months? Killian Phillips and Jack Henry-Francis may be the 2. We have huge depth in terms of wide players, attacking midfielders and strikers in the 02/03 age groups as outlined in previous emails, so much so that the likes of Okoflex, Burns, Kavanagh, Kenny may struggle to make squads let alone the team itself. Amazing when you think Ferguson, Parrott and Ebosele are also eligible (as are Bazunu and Omobamidele). Anyone care to make a stab at a starting XI?
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 4:03pm
I'd say the team is near impossible to call at this point, there are so many options in some positions and so few in others so it's hard to know.

All the same I'd say any of the 05s that kick on at club level could be involved later in the campaign. The likes of Zefi, Vata and Ferizaj will all be 19 by the time the last four games come around and will be fully finished at Under 19 level. Curtis will be 18, so will TKD (who was born in 2006). Some of those might never make that level but some probably will. 

While there's a lot of players in front of them at the moment, it doesn't take much to jump ahead of loads of them at this age group. While someone like Darragh Burns is a decent player and may be in the team at the start of the group, if a Zefi or a Vata broke through at their clubs they could overtake him in the space of a few weeks with a run of club games. We've seen Parrott and Ferguson play at this age group at 17 so every chance we'll see some 19 year olds from the 2005s I'd say.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 4:24pm
I'll have a stab for the craic

1) Keeley 2003
2) Ebosele 2002
3) Adaramola 2003
4) Mac Nulty 2003
5) Lawal 2003
6) Hodge 2002
8) Phillips 2002
10) Moran 2003
7) Armstrong 2003
9) Cannon 2002 
11) O'Neill 2003

That's leaving out lads playing regular mens football like Roughan, Furlong. Odubeko, Burns, Costelloe, Kavanagh, Hayes and Springett leaving aside promising lads at PL and Ch clubs like Okoflex, Mooney, Emakhu, Greenwood and Henry-Francis.

I'm assuming none of Bazunu, Omobamidele, Parrott and Ferguson will be made available.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 67>
  Share Topic