You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gibraltar - Estadio Algarve 16/10/23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Tyronebhoy Tyronebhoy wrote:

Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Tickets won't be an issue safe to say LOL

The Local cops will be on the strip will be like in 2015.

A few of them at the stadium were arseholes too. But, apart from those goons, happy with Faro.
Do ya remember the last time we played GIB in Faro. The had a van selling gargle, and the queue was in 4 directions with 2 lads trying to pull pints. Disaster. I'd be drinking in FARO or wherever until about an hour before K.O. going by the last time. The jaxx hadn't been cleaned either for that game, so get rid of whatever contents in yer system before you arrive.. you've been warned. Alvor today was in the mid 20's

FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
Sponsored Links

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Faro is a nice town, would recommend it as the resorts will be dead at that time of the year. no beach but you'll hardly need that in the middle of october.

It's still beach weather in Portugal now

it was baltic the last time i was there in october. i guess its getting to the time of the year where the weather can be less predictable.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Remember getting the buss from the Irish bar in Faro to the game - waiting on word from the Scotland v Georgia result , Can't remember the name of the boozer but it had enough neon lights outside to land a plane.
Erins Isle

That's the one Sham!

Bit of hassle on the way back also as a load of people got onto the wrong buses .
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Anyone had any experience of the trains from Lisbon to Faro? Been wanting to go back to Lisbon so might tie in with a trip there if trains decent enough option.
I went in the other direction after the last Gib game in Faro. Train was fine, on time etc. Train is really cheap so we paid an extra couple of quid for first class just to get some extra space. 

Same as that, enjoyed the journey. Albeit I got to the station and saw I was at the wrong one, legged it across Lisbon to the 'right' Station, only to get on a train that had come from the station we'd just ran from. 
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:51pm

Originally posted by Bonehead24 Bonehead24 wrote:

Originally posted by Bonehead24 Bonehead24 wrote:

Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Accommodation wise I presume the Albuferia area is the best bet for this ?
Wondering the same thing. Went out for the Portugal game last year but was obviously ticketless so stayed in Albufeira. Vilamoura is closer all the same.
For the last Gib game in Faro, some stayed in Faro itself but more stayed in Albufeira 
Taxi in and out after game? Or is there transport.
Need to know, its only just over a year away Tongue
The last time RingerBell, of this parish, organised a bus to take us from the Irish Boozer at the top of the strip to and from the stadium!
And nearly got left without a seat for himself on the way back but that is a whole different story!

start off with a bus for 8 of us and ended up with 7 or 8 coaches I think it was... retired from all that these days let someone else sort them for this trip LOL
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
danmoore View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 5:41pm
Ryanair prices to faro getting pricey now. Just booked via Lisbon. Train to faro direct is 3hrs about €25.
Gearoid101 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gearoid101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 11:00pm
All booked for Faro Smile
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by danmoore danmoore wrote:

Ryanair prices to faro getting pricey now. Just booked via Lisbon. Train to faro direct is 3hrs about €25.

You can do Dublin - Lisbon - Faro fairly handy with TAP and guaranteed connection without faffing around between the airport and station. 1 hour stopover in Lisbon. Not sure about the prices with TAP at the moment but have that booked for something else and was very reasonable.

Edited by dangere_here - 15 Nov 2022 at 3:29pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 11:08am

Booked a grand beachfront gaff in Faro for 2 nights - Will sort flights later .

Kind of the same as got something down by the marina , loads of fish restaurants and no NR to complain  about steak joints either  LOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Kind of the same as got something down by the marina , loads of fish restaurants and no NR to complain  about steak joints either  LOL

I'm half thinking of staying in Faro for this myself. Maybe do a 4 night trip. I've no idea what the place is like though as we stayed in Albufeira last time.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 1:45pm

you and Mrs claret would of like the one in St Julians  - it had a fish counter that  looked great , was nearly tempted by the squid but went with a ribeye instead 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

you and Mrs claret would of like the one in St Julians  - it had a fish counter that  looked great , was nearly tempted by the squid but went with a ribeye instead 

Yer right , 000.1% i would say 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 7:32am

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Yer right , 000.1% i would say 

Very rarely eoukd I pass on some grilled squid 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 4:30pm
Booked up for this now for 5 nights direct from Belfast with easyJet. Sunday morning to Friday afternoon. Flights £168 (with bag) and hotel £233. Staying in Faro, giving Albufeira a miss this time, getting too oul for that craziness. Spent night in Faro about 15 years ago, seemed decent enough spot.

Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 4:38pm

Booked up for this now for 5 nights direct from Belfast with easyJet. Sunday morning to Friday afternoon. Flights £168 (with bag) and hotel £233. Staying in Faro, giving Albufeira a miss this time, getting too oul for that craziness. Spent night in Faro about 15 years ago, seemed decent enough spot.

Albuferia won't be too crazy in the middle of October, the season isn't over but apart from whoever is staying there from Ireland I wouldn't think the main bars etc would be too mental.

Speaking of Albuferia, anyone got recommendations on apartments ?
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 12:28pm

It's a nice spot, I've stayed there quite a few times, and staying there again for this one.  It's not wile touristy, more just a normal Portuguese town.

The Capela dos Ossos is worth a visit, a chapel with bones on the walls.  You can go up the tower of the cathedral, which also has some outdoor bone altars.
There's boat tours out into the lagoon and islands.  The airport bus will bring you to the beach, but there is also a ferry to bring you there, depending on the time of year.

It's pretty cheap for food and drink too.  Last time a was there pre-COVID, places doing 80c beers or €1 bottles.  The Ché Guevara bar is decent for a later drink, and Boheme has craft beer.
If you're into seafood, definitely head to Adega Nova.  Get the prawns, they're the best I've ever had.

There'll be buses out to the ground on matchday, leaving from across the street from the bus station.

Edited by brendy_éire - 09 Dec 2022 at 12:28pm
City Till I Die
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 2:16pm
Aye, looks decent spot. Place I've booked is five minutes from Old Town. Been to Albufeira about eight or nine times, just fancied a change of scenery. Nothing wrong with a bit of culture LOL
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
DubLife View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 2:23pm
When is the portal open for this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
  Share Topic