You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Banshees of Inisherin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Banshees of Inisherin
    Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 8:12am
Could well be worth a watch.

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 9:58am
Talks of Farrell to be nominated for an oscar. 

Generally enjoy McDonagh's movies and his dark sense of humour so will give this a watch.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 11:45am
They did a nice monologue on SNL last week, will definitely be giving the movie a watch
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 12:07pm

Really looking forward to it.

In Bruges is a classic so hopes are high.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 3:54pm
Yeah it looks good. Looking forward to watching it
It would damage this forums' reputation
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 4:41pm
Have to say I have never really seen a Colin Farrell film I liked
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Even if you seen and didn't like In Bruges, Phone Booth is a cracker of a film and has a top notch villain. 

Farrell is brilliant in it too. Clap
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 5:08pm

Intermission is quality
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Even if you seen and didn't like In Bruges, Phone Booth is a cracker of a film and has a top notch villain. 

Haven't seen that in years but remember really liking it, The Recruit too with Al Pacino was good.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 5:19am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Intermission is quality

A completely underrated movie.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
cullenswood View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cullenswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 9:13am
Intermission is very good.    In Bruges is an all time great and deserves at least an annual rewatching.   "It's like a fairytale"

Farrell plays these type of characters very well
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 10:29am

Farrell said in interviews that he was completely off his face on drink and drugs filming that LOL
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Farrell said in interviews that he was completely off his face on drink and drugs filming that LOL
Phone Booth is very good. Never liked Intermission not sure what it was about that film didn't find it funny at all. In Bruge is very good too, thought Fines was great in it.

Edited by jamo1 - 14 Oct 2022 at 10:45am
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:58pm
Intermission was de-lish
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 9:03am
saw this last night. the comedy was pitch perfect at times, it meanders a bit, you can definitely tell McDonagh is a playwright first of all anyway. 

I've been interested to see the universal positive reviews from the world over. I think on some levels the film only really works (beyond the comedy and just a "wtf" type story) if you know about Irish history. But it's got huge Oscar buzz already which is a bit mad (not saying undeserved, just surprises me). 

Farrell is brilliant in it and deserves a nomination at least, I saw Mark Kermode say his character could be a grandfather of Dougal in Father Ted and that's pretty accurate! 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 9:05am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

saw this last night. the comedy was pitch perfect at times, it meanders a bit, you can definitely tell McDonagh is a playwright first of all anyway. 

I've been interested to see the universal positive reviews from the world over. I think on some levels the film only really works (beyond the comedy and just a "wtf" type story) if you know about Irish history. But it's got huge Oscar buzz already which is a bit mad (not saying undeserved, just surprises me). 

Farrell is brilliant in it and deserves a nomination at least, I saw Mark Kermode say his character could be a grandfather of Dougal in Father Ted and that's pretty accurate! 

Cool 

The Banshees of Inisherin review – flawless tragicomedy of male friendship gone sour

Tragedy and comedy are perfectly paired in this latest jet-black offering from Martin McDonagh, which, like the writer-director’s previous film Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2018), seems a strong contender for the Oscars’ best picture race. Reuniting the two stars of McDonagh’s 2008 debut feature In Bruges, it’s an end-of-friendship breakup movie that swings between the hilarious, the horrifying and the heartbreaking in magnificent fashion.

It’s 1923, and on the fictional island of Inisherin the sounds of the Irish civil war (“a bad do”) can be heard across the water, providing suitable background noise for the internecine struggles to come. Every day at 2pm, dairy farmer Pádraic (Colin Farrell) calls on his best friend, Colm (Brendan Gleeson), and the two head to the pub. They’re a chalk-and-cheese pair: the former a simple soul who can talk for hours about horse poo; the latter “a thinker” who writes music, plays the fiddle and falls prey to bouts of existential despair. Circumstance has made them inseparable.

Today, however, is different. When Pádraic knocks, Colm simply sits in his chair, smoking. “Why wouldn’t he answer the door to me?” Pádraic asks his smarter sister Siobhán (Kerry Condon), with whom he shares the home from which she constantly has to eject his beloved donkey (“animals are for outside!”). “Perhaps he just doesn’t like you no more,” Siobhán replies – a joke that soon turns out to be horribly true.

Depressed by a sense of time slipping away, and determined to do something creative with whatever years he has left, Colm has decided to cut Pádraic out of his life, ridding himself of the “aimless chatting” of “a limited man”. “What is he, 12?” scoffs Dominic (Barry Keoghan), a local lad who harbours hopeless dreams of escaping his daddy (a brutish policeman whose hobbies are drinking and masturbation) and taking up with the bookish Siobhán. But Colm is deadly serious and makes a solemn promise, or threat: every time Pádraic talks to him, he will cut off one of his own fiddle-playing fingers.

There’s a touch of Father Ted in the set-up that finds a wily older man becoming exasperated by his somewhat childlike companion in a remote rural locale where company is limited. (When Colm tells Siobhán that he doesn’t have “a place for dullness in my life any more”, she replies: “But you live on an island off the coast of Ireland!”) Indeed, with his schoolboy gait and wide-eyed outlook, Pádraic could be an ancestor of Ardal O’Hanlon’s Father Dougal. But just as war can turn boys into monsters, so this conflict with Colm will eat away at Pádraic’s innate good nature (he was always thought of as “one of life’s good guys”), turning hurt to anger, generosity to meanness, love to vengeance.

Pádraic (Colin Farrell) and donkey in The Banshees of Inisherin.

There are plenty of quotable, laugh-out-loud moments in The Banshees of Inisherin (the title has a funereal musical twist) that meld odd-couple comedy with toxic bromantic satire. But as the soul-tingling strains of Polegnala E Todora (Love Chant) from Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares suggest, McDonagh’s core concerns are more metaphysical. Just as Sheila Flitton’s crone-like neighbour Mrs McCormick comes increasingly to resemble Bengt Ekerot’s embodiment of Death in Bergman’s The Seventh Seal, so McDonagh’s acerbic dialogue circles the subject of impending obliteration in tragicomic fashion. We laugh when Colm declares that while no one remembers nice people “everyone to a man knows Mozart’s name” and Pádraic retorts: “Well don’t!” But behind the gag lies the terror of being forgotten when we die, and it’s that, rather than any friendship issue, which seems to drive Colm’s self-mutilation. There’s real sadness, too, in the way that Pádraic’s dismissal of Dominic as the island’s premier dullard (an assessment that is tragically untrue) mirrors his own mistreatment by Colm – an unjust hierarchy of hurt.

Visually, cinematographer Ben Davis and production designer Mark Tildesley create painterly interiors that recall the canvases of Vermeer and the compositions of Danish director Carl Theodor Dreyer, while composer Carter Burwell emphasises the film’s fable-like qualities with refrains that sound like off-kilter nursery rhymes played on cracked shellac records. As for the cast, they are a note-perfect ensemble, a flawless instrument upon which McDonagh plays his deliciously melancholy danse macabre.

Edited by Double Maxim - 24 Oct 2022 at 9:08am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 9:44am

I'm looking forward to this. If Farrell is nominated would it be for best lead or supporting actor?
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

I'm looking forward to this. If Farrell is nominated would it be for best lead or supporting actor?

Lead. 

Barry Keoghan could get a supporting nod. Gleeson is typically great but I'd say Keoghan would get more noise for his performance. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic