You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Greece - 13th Oct 2024 - Travel and Accommodation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greece - 13th Oct 2024 - Travel and Accommodation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 103>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 11:32am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Anywan been to any of the islands off Athens?

Was in Ios about 10 years ago at the tail end of our interrailing trip. Was great craic, real party island. About a 5 hour ferry from Athens. Don't think I'd be fit for it now thoughLOL
I said off Athens,not bleedin 5 hours awayBig smile

Same as the bus from Dublin to Donegal....not a bother!
Sponsored Links

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 11:34am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Was in Ios about 10 years ago at the tail end of our interrailing trip. Was great craic, real party island. About a 5 hour ferry from Athens. Don't think I'd be fit for it now thoughLOL

I was there about 20 years ago. I handed over money for the privilege of getting hit on the head with a hammer by a barman whilst I did a Tequila Slammer. This was a pre planned assault of which I was fully aware and gave my consent. People were lining up to partake. 
These days you can't hit customers on the head with hammers. Its this new woke culture I blame.  

EDIT: Punters are provided with a crash helmet before getting a smack of a hammer which is very decent of the barmen. 

Haha...Slammer bar. Their weapon of choice on me was a fire extinguisher. Lucky none of us lost teeth as I believe was fairly common from hitting the bar from the impact of the blow to the head
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Fatnacho Fatnacho wrote:

Aegina, Poros and Hydra are all within 90mins on the ferry and cheap to get to. Aegina gets busy at the weekends with Athenians and tourists going over for day trips. Aegina town is nice with good restaurants and drinking spots but it isn’t as photogenic as some of the other islands. Hydra is a bit more up-market and expensive so would probably avoid there. Poros has the best beaches if you’re looking to get a tan.

Which of those islands most closely resembles Dundalk?
El Puto Amo
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 12:12pm

Aegina, Poros and Hydra are all within 90mins on the ferry and cheap to get to. Aegina gets busy at the weekends with Athenians and tourists going over for day trips. Aegina town is nice with good restaurants and drinking spots but it isn’t as photogenic as some of the other islands. Hydra is a bit more up-market and expensive so would probably avoid there. Poros has the best beaches if you’re looking to get a tan.

Which of those islands most closely resembles Dundalk?
In that case probably Salamis. There aren’t many locals there that can speak intelligible English LOLLOL
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 12:59pm

I was in both Hydra and Poros this summer. Hydra is much the nicer, there are no cars in the island, the locals use donkeys. It is more expensive  than Poros but still cheaper than Ireland. No sandy beaches on Hydra though.

Poros wasn't great, struck me as a place that had it's tourism heyday 20 years ago, it's very run down. 

Neither place is particularly lively, but it was mid May I was there
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 3:32pm

I was there about 20 years ago. I handed over money for the privilege of getting hit on the head with a hammer by a barman whilst I did a Tequila Slammer. This was a pre planned assault of which I was fully aware and gave my consent. People were lining up to partake. 
These days you can't hit customers on the head with hammers. Its this new woke culture I blame.  

EDIT: Punters are provided with a crash helmet before getting a smack of a hammer which is very decent of the barmen. 

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

I was in both Hydra and Poros this summer. Hydra is much the nicer, there are no cars in the island, the locals use donkeys. It is more expensive  than Poros but still cheaper than Ireland. No sandy beaches on Hydra though.

Poros wasn't great, struck me as a place that had it's tourism heyday 20. Years ago, it's very run down.  Both are kips. Beware  of the pickpockets on both islands.  

Neither place is particularly lively, but it was mid May I was there
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 1:38pm

I was in Spetses many moons ago...lovely spot then.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
shifty11 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shifty11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 2:16am
Just booked accom for a few of us in Athens. Airlines should release summer timetables by end of next month apparently so holding off booking flights til then.

Is there a risk of it being played outside of Athens?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 10:33am
What's the best area to stay in Athens?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 11:01am
It looks like the area around Plaka or Pysri neighbourhoods.
I went for Pysri, looks really cool
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 2:10pm
any beach areas around Athens that aren’t too far from the centre and decent to stay in ?
Here we go again, we're on the road again
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 5:57pm
5 of us booked into the Elikon.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by ProudIrish ProudIrish wrote:

any beach areas around Athens that aren’t too far from the centre and decent to stay in ?
Yep, plenty of options.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

5 of us booked into the Elikon.

Looks basic but good. I booked a room for 4 with free cancellation for 3 nights for €200. It's a long time since I have seen prices like that. Location looks good too 
Let Christy Take It.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 11:59pm
Some great prices to be had but most don't have a swimming pool.

That's a deal breaker in the middle of June LOL
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 12:04am
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

If I got near a swimming pool on an away trip I'd be floating to the bottom. 

The price for 4 people for 3 nights is only a little bit more than what we paid per person per night in Glasgow. 
Let Christy Take It.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 8:16am
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Still some good choices with pools,worth the extra few bob
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 103>
  Share Topic