New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Greece - 13th Oct 2024 - Travel and Accommodation

Greece - 13th Oct 2024 - Travel and Accommodation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 103>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 7:20pm

Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

FAO Beavis: here is the bus timetables from Koblenz to Hahn airport, seems to be every two hours on Saturday the 17th (7 services a day). Bus departs from Koblenz Bahnhof Stadtmitte /Löhr-Center just allow yourself enough time to find the bus stop outside : https://ekap-download.vrs.de/downloads/linien/mini-fahrplan/2023_3615_VRM615.pdf?1670826789

KVG Zickenheiner GmbH Tel. 0261 9846150

You can catch an regional train fairly cheap and regularly from Cologne to Koblenz. 

Think we done a river cruise koblenz to cologne when we were in Mainz 

I think Beavis might have have the beans for an auld Rhein cruise if he's flying over via Luton to save the pennies LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 7:57pm

FAO Beavis: here is the bus timetables from Koblenz to Hahn airport, seems to be every two hours on Saturday the 17th (7 services a day). Bus departs from Koblenz Bahnhof Stadtmitte /Löhr-Center just allow yourself enough time to find the bus stop outside : https://ekap-download.vrs.de/downloads/linien/mini-fahrplan/2023_3615_VRM615.pdf?1670826789

You can catch an regional train fairly cheap and regularly from Cologne to Koblenz. 

I think Beavis might have have the beans for an auld Rhein cruise if he's flying over via Luton to save the pennies LOL

Bar on board - was grand though weather was so so 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by deebee deebee wrote:

Originally posted by Taoiseach Taoiseach wrote:

What areas are people booking accom in?

Booked in a place called Athens studios near the acropolis museum. Sports bar next door and looks alright. Flying in through Vienna and back through Brussels, reasonable prices.

When would we expect the away ticket portal to open? 

Staying near Omonia metro station in the middle of the city.

Booked early enough so got a hotel with a pool (it'll be needed for the heat) for a reasonable price.

As for away portal, I'd guess early May probably 

Watch yourself around the Omonia Square Wanderer , was told to keep away from that place at night a couple of years ago . 

Looks like it's cleaned itself up a bit, a few upmarket hotels around the square. 

Staying to the south of it near the Central Athens "Varvakios" Markets , about a 5 minute walk from the Metro 

Reviews of the hotel and those nearby it, majority reference the location as a positive

few of us booked into a hotel in that area as well because they have a pool. looks grand spot going by all the reviews can find online 

Fresh hotel or something along the lines of that is where we're staying I think
I'm staying in a hotel on the same street.Recent reviews all say great location .
I'm staying in that area as well - seeing mixed reviews on TripAdvisor including about the problems with homeless, junkies and prostitution. 

And my flight isn't due to land at Athens till 4am so God knows what the street will be like by the time I reach the hotel! Shocked

Edited by ConorMac77 - 15 Mar 2023 at 9:48pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 9:38pm
Anyone got a good route to Cork on the Saturday?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

M50 and then hit the M7 probably the handiest.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:14pm

Anyone have a good way to Cork that avoids Junkieland?
mouldymould View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouldymould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:16pm

The early flight to Manchester which was mentioned a few pages back. There's a direct flight from there to Cork for £16 later that day

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:43pm

Unless he takes the M8 off the M7 he’ll end up in Limerick. Safer staying in Dublin …

Edited by Sham157 - 15 Mar 2023 at 10:43pm
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:51pm
Sorted for this now. Four nighter, out Tuesday, back Saturday. Staying near Omonia metro stop in that 'sketchy' part of centre, can see Acropolis from hotel, apparently. It was cheap and includes breakfast. Can't be any worse than Castle Street after dark LOL. Belfast-Heathrow out and Gatwick-Belfast back, decent enough times, get into Athens and back to Belfast in early evening. Cost bit more than if I'd gone for longer stopovers and more flights, but can't be arsed with that, especially if I'm nursing hangover.
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 1:01am

Nothing decent 2 stops via cologne and Stansted your best option. That's why I bit the bullet and with the aerlingus direct to Dublin while it was at a half decent price. Mind you I'll be hanging around Dublin Airport for a while to wait for the Aircoach to Cork.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 16 Mar 2023 at 1:14pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:20am

Cork has it's fair share of junkies to be fair.
Beavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 11:09pm

Oh sh*te...no wonder Hahn flight was so cheap! LOL Google map directions has been sending me awry again. 

Thanks for the info...there's a 9 hour gap so I should be well ok to make it with that bus.

That is the scenic route (Luton apart!) alright. 

I have some brutal flight times myself - 4am arrival at ATH outbound and an 8.30am departure coming home but at least I've fairly short connections each way (3 hours at Gatwick outbound and 2 hours at Milan Malpensa coming home). Thankfully, no 3-flight routes - I don't know how lads have managed it on trips to the likes of Tbilisi, Yerevan etc. Dead

Sounds good...Hopefully manage to catch you some point on the brief Athens leg of my Eurotour !
<insert witty comment>
Deco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 9:05pm
Bit the bullet and forked out a grand for this because YOLO Cool

Out there on match day and spending a week there. 
Let the Games begin ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 9:38pm
Found a decent route via Brussels:

Depart Wed 14th: Dublin - Brussels
06:50-9:40am (€39)

Brussels to Athens
14:00-18:00pm (€123)

Return Sat 17th: Athens - Brussels

8-10:20am (€82)

Brussels to Dublin

18:00-18:40pm (€21)

Total - €265

Bit of a wait in Brussels on the way back, but suppose could always go into the city for a pint...

Edited by Maccatacca - 20 Mar 2023 at 9:41pm
craiglen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craiglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 12:22pm
Anyone heading through Naples on the 14th?

Fan's game record: 5 Caps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 140 km covered
brendy_éire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:01pm

Brussels to Athens

A few of us on that route over, except we went for the earlier flight to Brussels to give us more time in town.
The train is a wee bit pricey into town, but still likely cheaper than hanging around drinking airport pints. Goes every 15 minutes, takes 15 minutes.
City Till I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by craiglen craiglen wrote:

Anyone heading through Naples on the 14th?

Get yourself into the city if you have a long lay over. What a cityClap
Cabs88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:39pm

Brussels to Athens

Return Sat 17th: Athens - Brussels

8-10:20am (€82)

Brussels to Dublin

18:00-18:40pm (€21)

Total - €265

Bit of a wait in Brussels on the way back, but suppose could always go into the city for a pint...

We actually stopped off in brussels on way over to Vienna a few years back. There was a good group of us to the taxi was inexpensive and he brought us back out to the airport. Few waffles and pints killed a few hours nicely 
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 103>