You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Greece - 13th Oct 2024 - Travel and Accommodation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greece - 13th Oct 2024 - Travel and Accommodation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 103>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

FAO Beavis: here is the bus timetables from Koblenz to Hahn airport, seems to be every two hours on Saturday the 17th (7 services a day). Bus departs from Koblenz Bahnhof Stadtmitte /Löhr-Center just allow yourself enough time to find the bus stop outside : https://ekap-download.vrs.de/downloads/linien/mini-fahrplan/2023_3615_VRM615.pdf?1670826789

KVG Zickenheiner GmbH Tel. 0261 9846150

You can catch an regional train fairly cheap and regularly from Cologne to Koblenz. 

Think we done a river cruise koblenz to cologne when we were in Mainz 

I think Beavis might have have the beans for an auld Rhein cruise if he's flying over via Luton to save the pennies LOL
Sponsored Links

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 7:57pm

FAO Beavis: here is the bus timetables from Koblenz to Hahn airport, seems to be every two hours on Saturday the 17th (7 services a day). Bus departs from Koblenz Bahnhof Stadtmitte /Löhr-Center just allow yourself enough time to find the bus stop outside : https://ekap-download.vrs.de/downloads/linien/mini-fahrplan/2023_3615_VRM615.pdf?1670826789

You can catch an regional train fairly cheap and regularly from Cologne to Koblenz. 

I think Beavis might have have the beans for an auld Rhein cruise if he's flying over via Luton to save the pennies LOL

Bar on board - was grand though weather was so so 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by deebee deebee wrote:

Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Taoiseach Taoiseach wrote:

What areas are people booking accom in?

Booked in a place called Athens studios near the acropolis museum. Sports bar next door and looks alright. Flying in through Vienna and back through Brussels, reasonable prices.

When would we expect the away ticket portal to open? 

Staying near Omonia metro station in the middle of the city.

Booked early enough so got a hotel with a pool (it'll be needed for the heat) for a reasonable price.

As for away portal, I'd guess early May probably 

Watch yourself around the Omonia Square Wanderer , was told to keep away from that place at night a couple of years ago . 

Looks like it's cleaned itself up a bit, a few upmarket hotels around the square. 

Staying to the south of it near the Central Athens "Varvakios" Markets , about a 5 minute walk from the Metro 

Reviews of the hotel and those nearby it, majority reference the location as a positive

few of us booked into a hotel in that area as well because they have a pool. looks grand spot going by all the reviews can find online 

Fresh hotel or something along the lines of that is where we're staying I think
I'm staying in a hotel on the same street.Recent reviews all say great location .
I'm staying in that area as well - seeing mixed reviews on TripAdvisor including about the problems with homeless, junkies and prostitution. 

And my flight isn't due to land at Athens till 4am so God knows what the street will be like by the time I reach the hotel! Shocked

Edited by ConorMac77 - 15 Mar 2023 at 9:48pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 9:38pm
Anyone got a good route to Cork on the Saturday?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

M50 and then hit the M7 probably the handiest.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Anyone have a good way to Cork that avoids Junkieland?
mouldymould View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouldymould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:16pm

The early flight to Manchester which was mentioned a few pages back. There's a direct flight from there to Cork for £16 later that day
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:43pm

Unless he takes the M8 off the M7 he’ll end up in Limerick. Safer staying in Dublin …

Edited by Sham157 - 15 Mar 2023 at 10:43pm
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:51pm
Sorted for this now. Four nighter, out Tuesday, back Saturday. Staying near Omonia metro stop in that 'sketchy' part of centre, can see Acropolis from hotel, apparently. It was cheap and includes breakfast. Can't be any worse than Castle Street after dark LOL. Belfast-Heathrow out and Gatwick-Belfast back, decent enough times, get into Athens and back to Belfast in early evening. Cost bit more than if I'd gone for longer stopovers and more flights, but can't be arsed with that, especially if I'm nursing hangover.
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 1:01am

Nothing decent 2 stops via cologne and Stansted your best option. That's why I bit the bullet and with the aerlingus direct to Dublin while it was at a half decent price. Mind you I'll be hanging around Dublin Airport for a while to wait for the Aircoach to Cork.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 16 Mar 2023 at 1:14pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:20am

Cork has it's fair share of junkies to be fair.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 11:09pm

Oh sh*te...no wonder Hahn flight was so cheap! LOL Google map directions has been sending me awry again. 

Thanks for the info...there's a 9 hour gap so I should be well ok to make it with that bus.

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

That is the scenic route (Luton apart!) alright. 

I have some brutal flight times myself - 4am arrival at ATH outbound and an 8.30am departure coming home but at least I've fairly short connections each way (3 hours at Gatwick outbound and 2 hours at Milan Malpensa coming home). Thankfully, no 3-flight routes - I don't know how lads have managed it on trips to the likes of Tbilisi, Yerevan etc. Dead

Sounds good...Hopefully manage to catch you some point on the brief Athens leg of my Eurotour !
<insert witty comment>
Deco View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 9:05pm
Bit the bullet and forked out a grand for this because YOLO Cool

Out there on match day and spending a week there. 
Let the Games begin ...
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 9:38pm
Found a decent route via Brussels:

Depart Wed 14th: Dublin - Brussels
06:50-9:40am (€39)

Brussels to Athens
14:00-18:00pm (€123)

Return Sat 17th: Athens - Brussels

8-10:20am (€82)

Brussels to Dublin

18:00-18:40pm (€21)

Total - €265

Bit of a wait in Brussels on the way back, but suppose could always go into the city for a pint...

Edited by Maccatacca - 20 Mar 2023 at 9:41pm
craiglen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craiglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 12:22pm
Anyone heading through Naples on the 14th?

Fan's game record: 5 Caps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 140 km covered
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Brussels to Athens

A few of us on that route over, except we went for the earlier flight to Brussels to give us more time in town.
The train is a wee bit pricey into town, but still likely cheaper than hanging around drinking airport pints. Goes every 15 minutes, takes 15 minutes.
City Till I Die
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by craiglen craiglen wrote:

Anyone heading through Naples on the 14th?

Get yourself into the city if you have a long lay over. What a cityClap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Brussels to Athens

Return Sat 17th: Athens - Brussels

8-10:20am (€82)

Brussels to Dublin

18:00-18:40pm (€21)

Total - €265

Bit of a wait in Brussels on the way back, but suppose could always go into the city for a pint...

We actually stopped off in brussels on way over to Vienna a few years back. There was a good group of us to the taxi was inexpensive and he brought us back out to the airport. Few waffles and pints killed a few hours nicely 
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 103>
  Share Topic