You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Greece - 13th Oct 2024 - Travel and Accommodation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greece - 13th Oct 2024 - Travel and Accommodation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 102>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greece - 13th Oct 2024 - Travel and Accommodation
    Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:00pm
Considering how important this game will probably be, this will surely be played in either the Olympic Stadium in Athens or even Olympiakos' ground? Can't see this one being played at any of the smaller provincial grounds. 

Edit: Thread title updated for this year's NL away trip. Thumbs Up

Edited by ConorMac77 - 10 Feb 2024 at 10:41pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Sponsored Links

VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Considering how important this game will probably be, this will surely be played in either the Olympic Stadium in Athens or even Olympiakos' ground? Can't see this one being played at any of the smaller provincial grounds. 

Judging by the price of Aer Lingus direct flights - plenty have booked this. It’s now 700 return.
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Judging by the price of Aer Lingus direct flights - plenty have booked this. It’s now 700 return.
Are you surprised? As discussed on numerous occasions, folks on here do their job for them by advertising the route, how much they paid etc. Even if you mention vis London etc. boom, up goes the connecting flight. it's 9 months away and there's plenty of options to get to Greece. Same as the rest of the games.
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:40pm
Its a hell of a journey from Athens to Thessaloniki - i think it took us 5 to 6 hours. Did it for our match in Skopje way back when. The Greeks were so broke they didn't have the AC on in the train where you can't open the windows...it was 40+ outside. The worst journey of my life Dead

Edited by colemanY2K - 10 Oct 2022 at 2:48pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Are you surprised? As discussed on numerous occasions, folks on here do their job for them by advertising the route, how much they paid etc. Even if you mention vis London etc. boom, up goes the connecting flight. it's 9 months away and there's plenty of options to get to Greece. Same as the rest of the games.

Except very few people posted about Aerlingus across the threads. If you went onto skyscanner to have a look it was right there, direct flight sorted. 

It's probably the easiest way to go so no wonder it went up first. 

There's plenty of ways to fly in though as you've mentioned from all across Europe. Peak summer season though so flights probably won't get much cheaper than they are no whatever route you go.

Very rarely fly direct myself but booked Aerlingus this morning simply for convenience 

Edited by wanderer - 10 Oct 2022 at 2:49pm
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:53pm
Anyone ever been to Athens have any recommendation on what area to look for hotel wise?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Anyone ever been to Athens have any recommendation on what area to look for hotel wise?

Anywhere close to Monastiraki square would be spot on.

Edited by colemanY2K - 10 Oct 2022 at 3:18pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 3:18pm

Anywhere around Syntagma, Acropoli or Monastiraki metro stations would be spot on.  Central, plenty of restaurants and bars around there too.
City Till I Die
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 3:19pm

I was there earlier this year. Plaka would be the area to go to, its the main area in the centre with plenty of bars and restaurants including the James Joyce pub. Plenty of reasonable accommodation too. It's beside the Acropolis and main tourist sites too
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 3:35pm
What was the cheapest to be got for direct earlier in the day?

I have a couple of indirect options but wondering to hold off until athens is confirmed
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 4:53pm
Got return flights with AL for 250e.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:06pm
I'm getting ad pop ups from KLM and it's cheaper to go to Barbados then go to Greece.
The dark side.. And the light
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:30pm
Think I will wait till it’s confirmed - Greeks don’t owe us any favours why shoukd they facilitate a large Irish crowd especially if they aren’t filling the stadium themselves  
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Bonehead24 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonehead24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Direct? What days are you flying?
mouldymould View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouldymould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

What was the cheapest to be got for direct earlier in the day?

I have a couple of indirect options but wondering to hold off until athens is confirmed

AerLingus direct to Athens was showing for around €200 return last night but their site was crashing. They've also put on another flight back the day after the match now. Aegean have direct flights at a good price but the return flight is on the Monday night during Gibraltar at home. Ryanair haven't published their direct schedule for June, but I imagine it won't be cheap.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:00pm

Was looking at their recent attendances, I've last two campaigns. Highest attendance was 19k against Italy, every other one was in the thousands, including just 1.3k against Kosovo, would be surprised if they moved it, seems to be no demand to see the team. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Think I will wait till it’s confirmed - Greeks don’t owe us any favours why shoukd they facilitate a large Irish crowd especially if they aren’t filling the stadium themselves  

I see the recent northern Ireland match was originally slated for volos but subsequently changed to Athens. They announced the venue just 6 weeks prior to the match.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Got them for €290 return with AL. Out Thursday and back Saturday. Not too bad 

Edited by MC Hammered - 10 Oct 2022 at 6:34pm
El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 102>
  Share Topic