You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - November Friendlies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 61>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Take a look at at that Wales squad announced for the WC.
Lads from L2 clubs even! 
And most from the trenches of L1 or the Champ. 

Fair play to them for qualifying with that group. 

Bale + a handy enough draw is what got them there. Probably four years to late for them to make much of an impact on the tournament. Big adjustment coming up for Wales in the next few years, their much hyped younger players showing little so far to suggest that they're anywhere near as good as they have been made out to be. Even the pick of them, Brennan Johnson, struggling in the Premier League.
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 11:40am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Press conference at 1:45, squad should be announced before it starts

I'll have a stab in advance for the craic - 28 Man Squad - This is on the basis that Knight, Connolly, Keane and Omobamidele are out along with the confirmed longer-term casualties.
KELLEHER BAZUNU TRAVERS
DOHERTY COLEMAN EBOSELE
MANNING MC CLEAN
COLLINS DUFFY
EGAN LENIHAN
O'SHEA SCALES
CULLEN MOLUMBY COVENTRY
SMALLBONE HENDRICK RONAN
BRADY O'DOWDA BROWNE
OBAFEMI HOGAN SZMODICS
OGBENE ROBINSON

Edited by John Nice - 10 Nov 2022 at 12:16pm
Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 11:44am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Lads from L2 clubs even! 

Bale + a handy enough draw is what got them there. Probably four years to late for them to make much of an impact on the tournament. Big adjustment coming up for Wales in the next few years, their much hyped younger players showing little so far to suggest that they're anywhere near as good as they have been made out to be. Even the pick of them, Brennan Johnson, struggling in the Premier League.

Having 4-5 players who play a high level can take a nation far. For Euro 2016, Wales had Ben Davies, Joe Allen, Aaron Ramsey and Bale. Ashley Williams was solid PL CB around that time as well.

They still have 4 out of that 5 available now. Although they're all lesser players now, except maybe Ben Davies.
Forty View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 11:48am
Kevin Kelleher
Gavin Bazunu
Mark Travers

Matthew Docherty
Seamus Coleman
Festy Obesele
James McClean
Nathan Collins
Shane Duffy
John Egan
Darragh Lenihen
Dara O'Shea
William Scales 

Joseph Cullen 
Jason Molumbey
Conor Conventry
William Smallbone
Jeffrey Hendricks
Conor Ronan
Robert Brady
Callum O'Dowda
Alan Browne
Joseph Hodge

Michael Obafemi
Sinclair Armstrong
Szammie Szmodics
Chiedoze Ogbene
engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:06pm
I'd include Joe Hodge here. I fear if we don't get him involved quickly this window and he defects to England this will be looked back on in a similar way to Declan Rice and the Moldova game! 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:08pm

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Lads from L2 clubs even! 

9 PL players all the same plus Bale, Ramsey and Joe Allen who are all good progressive footballers. Dont think we could leave out the likes of a Tyler Roberts if he was available to us. They crucially have players in their first XI who can create and score goals, we are still struggling in that regard. 

Ah yeah, for sure and if U added Bale to our squad, we'd be far better set to qualify for these tournaments.
Just interesting to see they pad the squad out with very mediocre players.
Even we don't dip into L2 Embarrassed

That squad isn’t bad at all 9 players operating in the Premier League numerous talented youngsters Cabango,Colwill,Johnson, and Roberts (not a youngster) all who are potentially good enough to be playing for top flight clubs! Norrington Davies another young lad who could be playing PL football next year didn’t even make the squad!

Not to mention Bale and Ramsey,Rodon,Ampadu who are playing top flight football in Italy and France. Rodon and Ampadu in particular deserve credit for showing some ambition and going further afield to establish themselves as top flight footballer’s as opposed to settling for Championship football. Easiest thing in the world to do for them with the World Cup coming up would be to play it safe and do the latter. Two lads good enough to be playing top flight.

They can put out a strong 11 but will need luck with injuries. 

Edited by kevin100 - 10 Nov 2022 at 12:09pm
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

I'd include Joe Hodge here. I fear if we don't get him involved quickly this window and he defects to England this will be looked back on in a similar way to Declan Rice and the Moldova game! 

I don't think he'll be on England's radar tbh. Lots of similar aged prospects.

But I would have him involved. No harm in giving him a few minutes in one of the games.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:14pm
I do hope to see new faces in the CM/AM areas. Coventry and Smallbone and tbh I would be a bit disappointed if Hodge didn’t get a call up even just to train with the senior squad for the 2 weeks. 

He’s made an impression for Wolves and in general just looks a very promising young player who’s going to get to a decent level!

If it’s true about Hourihane and Knight not being released then it might be a blessing. Hourihane should be nowhere near a squad and Knight as gone backwards. His place should not be guaranteed.

Edited by kevin100 - 10 Nov 2022 at 12:16pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:15pm

I'd personally leave him with the U21s for now and build our U21 team for the next campaign around him. Giving him a friendly cap now will make no difference to his l/t allegiance - if he wants to play for us, he will. If he plays PL football under Lopetegui post Xmas then the issue can be revisited! Just my opinion, same goes for Ferguson, leave him with the U21s for now.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

But I would have him involved. No harm in giving him a few minutes in one of the games.

Probably worth bearing in mind that a competitive under 21 cap for England would tie him to them.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:21pm

I'd personally leave him with the U21s for now and build our U21 team for the next campaign around him. Giving him a friendly cap now will make no difference to his l/t allegiance - if he wants to play for us, he will. If he plays PL football under Lopetegui post Xmas then the issue can be revisited! Just my opinion, same goes for Ferguson, leave him with the U21s for now.

You can still plan to build and U21 team around him while bringing him into the squad to train for 2 weeks with the senior squad. Would be a bit disappointed if he wasn’t brought in. It doesn’t take a genius to see he’s a talented kid who’s star could rise quickly. Literally no downside to bringing him in! 

Edited by kevin100 - 10 Nov 2022 at 12:21pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

You can still plan to build and U21 team around him while bringing him into the squad to train for 2 weeks with the senior squad. Would be a bit disappointed if he wasn’t brought in. It doesn’t take a genius to see he’s a talented kid who’s star could rise quickly. Literally no downside to bringing him in! 

Especially as the U21s campaign don't start until next September. Crawford will have him in March and June for U21 friendlies.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:31pm
I'd be delighted to see Hodge named (goes back to what Kenny has talked about, fast-tracking players with high portential through the age-groups) but Kenny has downplayed it when he wished it was Ronan making that breakthru.
But then you never know.

I'll be far more annoyed if Hourihane, Armenia's 12th man, is selected again.
That lad will lose Kenny his job and needs cutting loose ASAP.
Smallbone a direct replacement and move on.

Other than that, new names in with shouts for me would be Sykes and Szmodics.

Manning has to get back in on form.

There's a slot for a young unproven striker, what with Idah, Parrott and Keane all out.
I'd much rather that than Collins recalled.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Probably worth bearing in mind that a competitive under 21 cap for England would tie him to them.

I don't think he can play u21 for them as he has done for us competitively I believe only senior. I remember when Rice defected people were saying he wasn't eligible for their u21s as he had played with us.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

I don't think he can play u21 for them as he has done for us competitively I believe only senior. I remember when Rice defected people were saying he wasn't eligible for their u21s as he had played with us.

You can only play for one country in any given competition.
Next year's U21's is a new comp, and he could theoretically play for them in that.
I can't see it as all indications are he is well happy playing for us.
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:33pm
I'd be disappointed if Hodge isn't included 
Here we go again
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:33pm

None of the mids called up bar SMallbone.
McGrath back...deserved?

Keane fit it seems.
Ferguson the wildcard striker.

No Hourihane at least...

Edited by Fozz - 10 Nov 2022 at 12:35pm
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:34pm
Goalkeepers: Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool), Gavin Bazunu (Southampton), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth).

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathan Collins (Wolverhampton Wanderers), John Egan (Sheffield United), Dara O'Shea (West Bromwich Albion), Darragh Lenihan (Middlesbrough), Liam Scales (Aberdeen, on loan from Celtic), James McClean (Wigan Athletic), Robbie Brady (Preston North End).

Midfielders: Josh Cullen (Burnley), Jeff Hendrick (Reading, on loan from Newcastle United), Jayson Molumby (West Bromwich Albion), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Will Smallbone (Stoke City, on loan from Southampton), Jamie McGrath (Dundee United).

Forwards: Michael Obafemi (Swansea City), Callum Robinson (Cardiff City), Scott Hogan (Birmingham City), Chiedozie Ogbene (Rotherham United), Will Keane (Wigan Athletic), Evan Ferguson (Brighton and Hove Albion), Callum O'Dowda (Cardiff City).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 61>
  Share Topic