Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - November Friendlies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Sounds more like you want us to do a Norway/Scotland and not qualify for a finals for another 20+ years.

No, it sounds like exactly what I just said - we don't have a chance in hell of qualifying via the top 2 group places for the next Euros. We will, however, hopefully have more forgiving groups in the future, and the best way to get success in those groups in with a manager who's willing to actually play football for once. As it stands, Kenny is the only realistic option we have that will do that. If a better one becomes available, then by all means make the change.
If there's no hope with Kenny, what's the point in retaining him? He's the only realistic option? Really? Given his record, the FAI would be derelict in their duty if not having feelers out right now. It wouldn't surprise me to see a new man in situ by mid-January. 

There is no hope with ANYONE in the next campaign. Bring in Pep, it doesn't matter - France are the best/second best team in the world, and the Netherlands aren't too far behind them. 

All that we can do is be as competitive as possible, and given how we have performed against superior sides under Kenny, he's the right man to do that in an atrociously difficult group. If he can make take us to any sort of respectable finish in the group (and I believe he can), then he'll have done as well as anyone could have and earned his keep. 

Edited by The O'Shea - 28 Nov 2022 at 12:55pm
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:03pm
The argument in favour of Kenny at this point seems to be that he has made us so poor that we now have no chance of qualifying for anything under any other manager anyway, and therefore the only available manager who can save us now is, somehow, Kenny.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:15pm

The argument in favour of Kenny at this point seems to be that he has made us so poor that we now have no chance of qualifying for anything under any other manager anyway, and therefore the only available manager who can save us now is, somehow, Kenny.

An idiotic take, and you know it. We are in a group with two of the best sides in world football, no Irish team in history would be a expected to get out of it, and no team since 2002 would stand a chance. It has absolutely nothing to do with the manager, and everything with the quality of the opposition.
We're decent enough..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:30pm

Sounds more like you want us to do a Norway/Scotland and not qualify for a finals for another 20+ years.

No, it sounds like exactly what I just said - we don't have a chance in hell of qualifying via the top 2 group places for the next Euros. We will, however, hopefully have more forgiving groups in the future, and the best way to get success in those groups in with a manager who's willing to actually play football for once. As it stands, Kenny is the only realistic option we have that will do that. If a better one becomes available, then by all means make the change.
If there's no hope with Kenny, what's the point in retaining him? He's the only realistic option? Really? Given his record, the FAI would be derelict in their duty if not having feelers out right now. It wouldn't surprise me to see a new man in situ by mid-January. 

There is no hope with ANYONE in the next campaign. Bring in Pep, it doesn't matter - France are the best/second best team in the world, and the Netherlands aren't too far behind them. 

All that we can do is be as competitive as possible, and given how we have performed against superior sides under Kenny, he's the right man to do that in an atrociously difficult group. If he can make take us to any sort of respectable finish in the group (and I believe he can), then he'll have done as well as anyone could have and earned his keep. 
There's no denying it's a horror group, but you've gone belly-up already. I'd say 90% agree with you. No manager from Giles to McCarthy2 has generated such brutal pessimism. That's where we're at. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:33pm

Our midfield and forwards are full of players from the Championship! We don’t have a single Premier League midfielder or attacker! Is that Kenny’s fault too?
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:49pm
To be pedantic, we have five midfielders from PL clubs who have played in it ( Smallbone, Arter, Coventry, Hodge, Ronan ) and two forwards ( Parrott, Connolly ), but I take your point.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:52pm

There's no denying it's a horror group, but you've gone belly-up already. I'd say 90% agree with you. No manager from Giles to McCarthy2 has generated such brutal pessimism. That's where we're at. 
And yet there were 23,000 season tickets sold - I know the opposition helped that somewhat but it can't account for all of it.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

To be pedantic, we have five midfielders from PL clubs who have played in it ( Smallbone, Arter, Coventry, Hodge, Ronan ) and two forwards ( Parrott, Connolly ), but I take your point.

And Evan Ferguson.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

And yet there were 23,000 season tickets sold - I know the opposition helped that somewhat but it can't account for all of it.

no , just for most of it 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

For those looking rid of Kenny what do you honestly hope and expect from the squad we have?

Bit of realism is needed on here we don’t have any top quality midfielders or attackers at this moment in time.

We have good honest hard working players that give their all let’s just get behind the team and management as no amount of crying on a football forum is going to change things.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 2:17pm
We are conceding too many soft goals. This needs to be addressed and Kenny said he is not going to address it and we are too easy to beat.

He needs to go back to basics. Become hard to beat. Get organised at the back, try not to concede and try and score from set pieces. 

We have a lot of players in there who are good solid players. 

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

We are conceding too many soft goals. This needs to be addressed and Kenny said he is not going to address it and we are too easy to beat.

He needs to go back to basics. Become hard to beat. Get organised at the back, try not to concede and try and score from set pieces. 

If we go back to long balls and just hoping to score from set plays I’ll be binning my season ticket.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

If we go back to long balls and just hoping to score from set plays I’ll be binning my season ticket.

Again, nobody is saying that.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 2:57pm

Brutal pessimism? It's plain old realism. We have not been in a qualifying group this bad for as long as anyone can remember, even the bloody 4th seeds are probably the strongest we could have drawn. Tell me who you think it is that could give us a chance of finishing in the top two, and tell me what results they would get to achieve this? The bottom line is that we would need 4 points against either Netherlands or France to qualify, which manager in the world is going to deliver that?
We're decent enough..
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 5:08pm
Ecuador significantly higher possession than Senegal but Senegal the better team. Possession stats do not equate to improved performance, I think we need to drop that virtue signalling.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Ecuador significantly higher possession than Senegal but Senegal the better team. Possession stats do not equate to improved performance, I think we need to drop that virtue signalling.

Ah yes, the old "I saw an example of something so it must be the truth". I take it you are not acquainted with the massive correlation between possession and winning games which has been demonstrated across the board? Who would have thought that actually controlling the football might be somewhat important to footballing success.
We're decent enough..
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 5:32pm
Virtue signalling!!! For f**k sake!! LOL
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 6:03pm
There is actually no correlation between possession stats and win rates for the vast majority of teams. Possession can count when you have players of high technical ability. As we see with Ireland all the opposition has to do to us us is apply a high press and our passing collapses. Lipstick on a pig. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061>
  Share Topic