You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - November Friendlies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 61>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

He’s been learning on the job which should not be the purpose/ role of the Manager of Irish national team. We all know he’s a good guy so none of this is personal but come on, how is this being tolerated?

Clap
Sponsored Links

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I think the bolded is miles wide of the mark.

He gets a lot more leeway than previous managers because he's taken over during what is basically an historic rebuild, & the first 13 months of it were in the middle of a pandemic where he was constantly missing half his squad.
Are we back to this classic excuse again? It was a global pandemic. Covid affected all national teams to some extent.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Lol if that's a creative performance then I despair. He didn't do anything the much maligned Hendrick or Hourihane can't do and I think Hourihane is a waste of a shirt generally. Hendrick is pretty meh but is the much better passer of the ball. 

McGrath is literally the opposite of Hourihane.

Hourihane:
Doesn't want the ball
When he is on the ball, takes an age to move it
Can't dribble
Can't sprint. Actually, he runs like he's wearing flippers.
Can't tackle.

McGrath:
Wants the ball
Quick feet in tight situations
Can dribble and is direct in running at defenders
Can actually sprint
Actually throws in a tackle here and there

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

He gets a lot more leeway than previous managers because he's taken over during what is basically an historic rebuild, & the first 13 months of it were in the middle of a pandemic where he was constantly missing half his squad.
Are we back to this classic excuse again? It was a global pandemic. Covid affected all national teams to some extent.

"To some extent". Well there you go, it didn't hit everyone the same. And I see you avoided the minor point of us having to start a giant rebuild in the middle of it.

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:30pm

"To some extent". Well there you go, it didn't hit everyone the same. And I see you avoided the minor point of us having to start a giant rebuild in the middle of it.

What's to say we had it any better or worse than other teams? Unless there's some statistical evidence there its just another convenient excuse.

Sure, the rebuild was part of his remit. Everyone supported that and was willing to give him a chance to bring through the next generation. However  the point of a rebuild is that at some point you have to start making progress and we have made very very little under SK. If anything we are showing signs of regression in recent matches.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:31pm

Lol if that's a creative performance then I despair. He didn't do anything the much maligned Hendrick or Hourihane can't do and I think Hourihane is a waste of a shirt generally. Hendrick is pretty meh but is the much better passer of the ball. 

Hourihane:
Doesn't want the ball
Can't dribble
Can't tackle.

McGrath:
Wants the ball
Can actually sprint

Agreed - he’s one of the worst players that’s ever won 30+ caps for us. He hides for large periods. Truly awful
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:42pm

Hourihane:
Doesn't want the ball
Can't dribble
Can't tackle.

McGrath:
Wants the ball
Can actually sprint

Yes Hourihane is crap for us but McGrath has done nothing of nite in ori football and I doubt will ever play in a top league

McGrath

Wants the ball but then does nothing with it.
Runs around alot.
Dribbles then passes the ball sidewards and backwards 
Overhits any slightly progressive pass.
Meh set pieces
Falls over a bunch.
Doesn't look like scoring
Doesn't create clear cut chances
Is barely passable defensively

But nope lads on here should tell Pep Guardiola that McGrath can be a De Bruyne or Bernardo replacement as he's so amazingly creative.

Edited by SC92 - 20 Nov 2022 at 10:43pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:45pm

Hourihane:
Doesn't want the ball
Can't dribble
Can't tackle.

McGrath:
Wants the ball
Can actually sprint

Yes Hourihane is crap for us but McGrath has done eff all and I doubt will ever play in a top league

McGrath

Runs around alot.
Meh set pieces
Falls over a bunch.

But nope lads on here should tell Pep Guardiola that McGrath can be a De Bruyne or Bernardo replacement as he's so amazingly creative.

What planet are you on man? Bananas. Is he really your big brother and the one in the family who got all the love? Bizarre random crusade against him. Very strange have to say.
I love beer gardens
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

I don't know what you meant by gatekeepers to be honest but it appeared that you were agreeing with the original poster. That's my reading of it anyways. 

You’re seeing what you want to see, then, quite obviously. I’ve explained it quite clearly. 

You’re okay with me being labelled a “superficial” Ireland fan by some guy who doesn’t know me and has taken exception to a comment that he disagreed with or missed the point of? 

Quite clearly you've made a pigs ear of the way you've tried to articulate your point, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. If any needs to climb down its you. 

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

I don't know what you meant by gatekeepers to be honest but it appeared that you were agreeing with the original poster. That's my reading of it anyways. 

You’re seeing what you want to see, then, quite obviously. I’ve explained it quite clearly. 

You’re okay with me being labelled a “superficial” Ireland fan by some guy who doesn’t know me and has taken exception to a comment that he disagreed with or missed the point of? 

Quite clearly you've made a pigs ear of the way you've tried to articulate your point, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. If any needs to climb down its you. 

Quite clearly you’re not very bright if you couldn’t couldn’t comprehend my point - as well as the subsequent clarifications - and now you’re determined to be a bit of a C U Next Tuesday about it all 🤡

Edited by Fitz - 20 Nov 2022 at 11:14pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Hourihane:
Doesn't want the ball
Can't dribble
Can't tackle.

McGrath:
Wants the ball
Can actually sprint

Yes Hourihane is crap for us but McGrath has done eff all and I doubt will ever play in a top league

McGrath

Runs around alot.
Meh set pieces
Falls over a bunch.

What planet are you on man? Bananas. Is he really your big brother and the one in the family who got all the love? Bizarre random crusade against him. Very strange have to say.

This lad has quite the fan club that can't take any opinion less than worshipping. I'm impressed. 

You were the one who bought him up when I didn't even mention him in my reaction post so who is the strange one here. Just leave me alone its a football opinion .. it's not that deep.

Edited by SC92 - 20 Nov 2022 at 11:01pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 2:11am
Jayz, everyone's in a foul mood here tonight!

Meanwhile, I see "Should we give up football?" has loads of new posts.  LOL

The life of an Ireland fan.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 8:08pm

26.6% win ratio after 30 games, jesus 

66% win rate over the last 3 games. 3 wins and a draw in the last 6. And what do you want? A change of manager. 

As we're in the results business, the final score in the last one was Malta 0-1 Ireland, just for official confirmation, as it wasn't posted at any point in the last 58 pages, as I haven't seen any of the game, or even knew the result until 24 hours after the final whistle.

Another 8 1-0 wins next year, and we're off to Germany. 4 of them would probably be enough for a playoff. Nothing to worry about so. That's the results business for you. 

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

The most ardent supporters of SK are LOI supporters and they want one of their own to do well. Understandable but they are putting loyalty to LOI before the interests of the national team. 

Garbage. Every Irishman and Irishwoman should want the senior team to be successful. And they have the right to back the manager, whether they go to 36 LOI games per year or not. 

The reason he has support is because we're not putting pressure on him to win games, or go. And we know what is coming down the tracks if he goes. Allardyce, Bruce, Dyche, Hughton, joblot. Back to parking the bus and back to hoofball, with no interest in bringing through new players or improving Irish football. And taking a king's ransom of a salary when they're inevitably sacked when it fails. 

Kenny is the only man prepared to overhaul the squad and the style of play. That has to be done and that has to be prioritised over results. If we get results playing this way, great. If we don't, we stick with it until we're capable of getting results this way, and we're capable of competing with the world's best. 

None of the 32 teams at the World Cup play hoofball, even the crap ones. As a tactic, it's 20 years out of date, and we have to move on from it. Our model should be based on what Macedonia, Finland, Iceland, Georgia have done in recent years. That is how they have progressed up the ladder in the past 5-10 years and that's what we need to do now. 

Edited by planning - 27 Nov 2022 at 8:13pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 3:13am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

66% win rate over the last 3 games. 3 wins and a draw in the last 6. And what do you want? A change of manager. 

As we're in the results business, the final score in the last one was Malta 0-1 Ireland, just for official confirmation, as it wasn't posted at any point in the last 58 pages, as I haven't seen any of the game, or even knew the result until 24 hours after the final whistle.

Another 8 1-0 wins next year, and we're off to Germany. 4 of them would probably be enough for a playoff. Nothing to worry about so. That's the results business for you. 

The most ardent supporters of SK are LOI supporters and they want one of their own to do well. Understandable but they are putting loyalty to LOI before the interests of the national team. 

Garbage. Every Irishman and Irishwoman should want the senior team to be successful. And they have the right to back the manager, whether they go to 36 LOI games per year or not. 

The reason he has support is because we're not putting pressure on him to win games, or go. And we know what is coming down the tracks if he goes. Allardyce, Bruce, Dyche, Hughton, joblot. Back to parking the bus and back to hoofball, with no interest in bringing through new players or improving Irish football. And taking a king's ransom of a salary when they're inevitably sacked when it fails. 

Kenny is the only man prepared to overhaul the squad and the style of play. That has to be done and that has to be prioritised over results. If we get results playing this way, great. If we don't, we stick with it until we're capable of getting results this way, and we're capable of competing with the world's best. 

None of the 32 teams at the World Cup play hoofball, even the crap ones. As a tactic, it's 20 years out of date, and we have to move on from it. Our model should be based on what Macedonia, Finland, Iceland, Georgia have done in recent years. That is how they have progressed up the ladder in the past 5-10 years and that's what we need to do now. 
Full steam ahead and fu*k the iceberg. 

Edited by Mr Brick - 28 Nov 2022 at 3:30am
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Full steam ahead and fu*k the iceberg. 

What exactly is the "iceberg"? Failing to qualify for Euros in a group that contains two of the best international teams in the world? I hate to break it to you, but that is a certainty regardless of who is in charge.
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 8:21am
Sounds more like you want us to do a Norway/Scotland and not qualify for a finals for another 20+ years.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 8:57am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Sounds more like you want us to do a Norway/Scotland and not qualify for a finals for another 20+ years.

No, it sounds like exactly what I just said - we don't have a chance in hell of qualifying via the top 2 group places for the next Euros. We will, however, hopefully have more forgiving groups in the future, and the best way to get success in those groups in with a manager who's willing to actually play football for once. As it stands, Kenny is the only realistic option we have that will do that. If a better one becomes available, then by all means make the change.
We're decent enough..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 10:59am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

No, it sounds like exactly what I just said - we don't have a chance in hell of qualifying via the top 2 group places for the next Euros. We will, however, hopefully have more forgiving groups in the future, and the best way to get success in those groups in with a manager who's willing to actually play football for once. As it stands, Kenny is the only realistic option we have that will do that. If a better one becomes available, then by all means make the change.
If there's no hope with Kenny, what's the point in retaining him? He's the only realistic option? Really? Given his record, the FAI would be derelict in their duty if not having feelers out right now. It wouldn't surprise me to see a new man in situ by mid-January. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 61>
  Share Topic